everyday issues lol

hi everyone! been a member since right after my stroke in 4/07

ok left side stroke and right side affected, i worked....lots...now fill my days inventing stuff to do. i dont take any meds except for aspirin. ok...well cymbalta and xanax but was taking that before this happened, i work for the local phone company before so i NEEDED them lol.

now my issues.... well not really issues but rather is anyone else having them. i can walk but i wear an air cast for my ankle. (did that on my own cause i hated the bigger brace)my right hand/arm is being stubborn......but hell i am stubborn so i give it a little lee-way. so..... why is it i am doing fine until i start house work.... my arm and toes curl up? is this telling me something? maybe they have become allargic to housework?lol i tell my hubbie this but he doesnt believe it! men! i did get and electric duster that works great... all you do is touch a button and it twirls... :x has anyone tried the swivel sweepers yet? short of duct taping my hand to the broom ...... i guess ill try the sweeper....

any other suggestions? i can do dishes and laundry (but cant fold anything except towels) vaccuum...but the leg and toe thing happen...

anything else would be helpful. have a great day......

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I find that my toes and ankle (I'm left side affected) wants to curl and twist even in the AFO if I'm walking on unfamiliar ground or doing something for the first time. If outside I always use my hemiwalker for security and added support. In the house I only use my hemi if I do not have the AFO on (like going to the throne room durring the night)

I can run the sweeper downstairs (we have a 2-story home) but the dang cord seems to take on a life of its own and tries to trip me. I've tried throwing the extra cord over my shoulder but then I end up getting strangled (well...almost lol) when I get to far away from the outlet.

I can do the dishes fine unless it's a larger item. Folding clothes I'm like you - towels are easy lol.

I try to do what I can to help out my daughter around the house as well as keep myself amused and occupied. In 2 years when she goes off to college don't know what I'll do. Maybe we should start a strokee nudiist colony lol so we wouldn't have to worry about folding laundry except for towels. I don't excatly live in a climate for that lol.

I know vacuuming is physically strenuous. I get completely tuckered out, after only finishing half a room, and my heart is just'a poundin'! I've read a few articles that say after a heart attack, not to vacuum for at least 2 weeks, because it's such straining activity.

As for folding, I can use both hands...but for some reason, I use the floor. Just seems easier than trying to 'hang' everything with your hands AND making it loop over certain ways. So I lay things on the floor (usually after I vacuum, so no little stuffs gets on the nice clean clothes!) and fold it by just bringing one side to another. Socks are really the only thing I keep 'up in the air' and roll them up.

Dishes make my back hurt, from all the bending over and straightening up again.

So yeah...basic consensus: housework is evil! :lol:

What a great post! I thought I was the only one who had toe curl when doing housework. I especially get it when I am removing clothes from the dryer (front load) and then vacuuming. Now I know it's not an aversion to housework post-stroke.

Does anyone else get a low back ache on their affected side when doing housework? I get this sometimes, too.

Best to all.

Stessie

Guest lwisman

This is a bit off topic, but bare with me. LOL. When we replaced our washer and dryer last fall I researched and found Fisher & Paykel. They have a top loading dryer. My research showed that their top loading washer and dryer are as efficient as front loaders.

We got the pair and I love them. No binding over to put things in washer or dryer. For me, the problem is balance. I would recommend it.

For vacuuming I purchased a really inexpensive (I think it is made by Bissel) sweeper that is not electric. Actually, I remember my grandfather having a similar one and he has been dead since 1967. It is light weight and just right for small pickups. I drag the large vacuum out for larger jobs. It is a pain.

Also have a hand vacuum. Mine is made by Dirt Devil. We have been through a lot of hand vacs. They do not hold up well. All the reviews recommend Dirt Devil these day. It is great for small jobs also, particularly where the sweeper does not work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one word for vacuuming.... ROOMBA!

My stepson gave us one for Christmas last year and I am now a firm believer that every woman should own one. I also have the Swiffer Sweeper and love how well it works and how light. I need to get a new one soon as mine does not hold a charge like it did two years ago when I bought it.

I am my husbands caregiver (he had a stroke 10/27/07 ), and have Rheumatoid arthritis so getting out the heavy vacuum can be hard on my hips and wrists. I save that for special occasions ;)

yes I get the toe curls also especially while vacuuming. I sit on bedside to fold laundry, it is the biggest area I have other than the floor,so it works good for me. Housework in general, I have little to no problems with since I lost a lot of weight. I can even say I enjoy doing it now, at the very least I get satisfaction out of doing it myself because I was so long, I couldn't do it. I do get lower back pain when using the vacuum cleaner and the swiffer. So I take lots of breaks, I go until I have pain then take a break, maybe 5 minutes or so, just sitting makes the pain go away, then I go again then brake until its all done. It takes a long time to do housework this way but at least I get the satisfaction of having done it myself. Its a good feeling. I get the toe curls if I'm carrying or lifting something heavy like the vacuum (though I don't carry it, its more like pulling and pushing) I guess doing anything strenuous. Good thing I'm not on the clock, lol.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks......

Well, I was, and am a bachelor type.......

I could see dirt better than most male acquaintances, and actually kept my place up pretty well.....

Well, enough so that female vistors for whatever weren't shocked or ran away.....<G>......

The stroke last Dec changed all that...I leave things I use in daily life more out in the open.....

Mopping the floor is an impossible for now task....My bath has been changed from tub only to sit down shower....

I don't have a dishwasher, so the old manual method has to do......

I can deal with the vac cleaner, but using it is much more of a production event these days....

Stripping the sheets for laundry is onerous, as is trip to the basement....I live in a duplex upper....

Of all of the tasks of life...grocery shopping is the most onerous...

The folks that can help me, availability is during peak shop hours.....If I go solo, the issue is carrying stuff to the upper flat....

So....lotsa PITA aspects of life....in doing life.....

On the other hand....at least I can.....

Hi

You should see my left arm bend up when I do a 3 point turn in the car :hahaha: I had to warn my driving tester when I did my licence so that he knew what was going on.

Although my left arm is getting more relaxed now, it does certainly bend when I have to really exert myself - so I guess it could be true for any muscles that show spastic tendencies.

What a show we would make if we were in a room together :Dance: :happydance:

Dear Barbara,

If this works it is my first post/reply here. My toes used to curl 'til I learned to hold them up and knock on wood, it only was happening at night while sleeping and felt somewhat like the associated leg cramp in the same leg. I am wearing erganomic (not sure of the spelling) sandals that I found on...(sorry can't remember the name of it just this second) my short term memory is affected by Lipitor and Chantex which I nolonger am taking thank god. Plavix seems better now and I take a little low dose asprin. I think it was the right side that was supposed to be affected but I am fortunate to NOT HAVE out and out paralasis. It is more like slow mow impairment. I had a blood clotlet come loose - though my blood colesteral levels are normal - due to an impact injury at the base of the opcipital bone on the left side caused by a slip on the ice winter before last in front of my house. I take a liquid nutritional product called VEMMA. The Dr's are saying it is because of that nutritional drink I DRINK that my impairment is not worse. :Clap-Hands: I just use a broom and dustpan for floors and the dust mop a lot. I have hardwood floors & area rugs so the care giver helps do that about once a week.

*Please See> https://vemma.com/brendamccann'>https://vemma.com/brendamccann or just go to https://vemma.com yes when you join this company you get to buy as a preferred customer discount and you get a website to show your friends.

prod_broch.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Barbara.

Like you i have problems with housework "NO TOE CURL" but find the battery sweeper fantastic i can manage it from my wheelchair had it just on 12 months and still going strong need it for all the small accidents especially ones when i have been making cakes biscuits etc for my grandsons, just seem to get flour and sugar all over the place maybe one of those hand held battery dusters might work great for me could do the benches first then the sweeper on the floor, thanks for the suggestion on the hand held duster.

Best wishes

Allan

• 1 month later...

Right now my caregiver and family pretty much have been handling the housework for me ( I am hoping to be a bigger help soon...my accident happened two months ago tomarrow so I am still recovering and learning ) BUT I did want to make a suggestion that might help some with vacuuming. I dont have one but I think it would be nice to have and I know someone who has one and says it works great ( they have short carpet and it might or might not work on shag carpet ). Target sells a little round vacuum robot thing that is on a timer and vacuums your floor for you and then just goes back to its charger. It's really neat...it kind of looks like one of those things from the movie batteries not included ( good movie if you havent seen it ).

Carey

Hi Carey

I had forgotten about those robotic vacuum cleaners, I must check out if i can buy one locally they would be ideal for my situation.

Thanks for reminding me

Allan

We have this cute little thing called a shark that works really great. We bought it, then I watched an infomercial on it. It picks up stuff like wet pasta and lettuce as well as regular crumbs. It bends to go under tables and chairs. It's rechargeable and seems to last for a well. It even has one-handed emptying. It's quite light, and isn't too loud. My husband doesn't let me use the regular vecuum unless he's home, so this is great. I don't have to wait for someone else to come home to clean up a mess and he isn't picturing me keeling over trying to help with housework, so we both win. I also use a spinning brush tool for dishes. found it at the grocery store but they have expensive versions on tv.

Archived