Incontinance

Guest faithycan

Guest faithycan

Hi,

Tom has been wet when I get home at work and in the morning. I give him a shower every morning, and when we walk at night, I clean him up and wash and change him. I use chux pads underneath him, but in all honesty, he doesn't know how he is wetting. He uses a large urinal as he cannot walk during the day by himself, and drains that in another container. He says he is very careful and he doesn't know how he is doing it. I have him now standing 5 to 6 times a day so he won't get any sores on his bottom. I also bought balmex to coat his cute little rear end. My question is, he does drink about a gallon of water during the day and also a glass of juice (v-8) vegtable and fruit one. Delish! I did tell him he shoudn't drink anything after 6 pm. He was drinking at least 4 8 oz of water at night. His bottom is red, not peeling I think just from sitting like a dark red. That is why we have the standing now during the day. Also his chair has heat and massage. Which I told him to put it on during the day. My question is, is this normal and does anyone else have any suggestions? He is on an electric recliner chair. (best thing in the world) he cannot sleep in bed, and he also has a thick gel pad, waterproof and his chux pad. I hope you can help with suggestions, and if anyone else has gone through this, please let me know. I work 40 hours a week so I am not home during the day for him.

Thanks,

Faithy :yadayada:

Dear Faithy,

The red area you are describing on Tom's bottom sounds like an impending pressure (bed) sore. Try some zinc oxide powder on a clean bottom and cover that with Calmoseptine ointment and that will help dry it up. Bedsores are caused by wetness, keeping it dry will help heal it . Keeping it dry will prevent further breakdown.

Pullups with an incontinence pad may be needed, he could be urinating and not realizing it. He would probably still be wet but the pullup and incontinence pad will help wick the moisture away from his skin. Hope this helps.Good luck and God Bless!

Faith,

I'm sorry your husband is having this issue. Yes, it is more common, I think than we'd like to believe. Bill now wears Depends 24/7 because he isn't able to move quickly enough to get to the toilet without an accident. He can't tell when he needs to go until it is just too late. I asked his doctor about it and he feels it does relate to the stroke. He said that unfortunately now we need to find ways to manage the situation.

Depends are real good because they do wick the moisture away. I do know the more Bill drinks the more he urinates so the more often we need to change the Depends. He hasn't had presssure sores, but Joy's advice sounds really good to me.

Take care!

Guest faithycan

Thanks I will try that. I have been using Balmex with medicated powder. The area isn't your typical bedsore area It is large and on bothsides of his bottom, and is dark red. It might just be from sitting too long. That is why I am trying the standing. The only thing I don't like about the depends is that he will be in them all day until I get home. Wouldn't that be worse? He also doesn't wear underpants because he has a hard time with the urinal so he is in shorts until it gets cold. I am going to pick up the ointment and powder.

I am so afraid of bedsores, I told him i don't mind changing the pants 24 x a day, but I have no control if bedsores happen. That is my biggest fear. I am hoping the standing helps.

Thank the God lord for this site and people like you.... :)

As long as he can use a urinal he stands a good chance of not being wet I think. Also I'd let him know they are just there for emergencies/accidents. And if he does have an accident, at least the moisture is wicked away from his skin. That's the way I look at it anyway. Have you talked to his doctor's nurse about it at all? She may have some ideas - sometimes they are easier to get hold of than the doc for questions like this.

Faith,

From my experiences along these lines I can tell you what I know. I can think of going to the bathroom and feel myself about to release then as I get there and look at the commode it's hard to hold back and I start wetting my shorts. So I try not to wait until I'm pushed as Tom probably does since he's sitting and has the big urinal right there. Then he has some paralysis so it's hard to use both hands with only one working good.

The redness I got came from me leaving the heat pad on and falling asleep which he again probably does. He can't leave it on for long, not all day for sure. Even the massager has to be turned off after about 30 minutes or less. I got the heat and massager for my feet too but I have to be careful to turn it off after a few minutes. You told him to put it on but you need to tell him to turn it off after so many minutes not hours. All that time he's probably watching TV and not thinking about the time.

No problem drinking the water, it has to come out, your bladder will only hold so much you know. I even use a urinal while in the car cause I can not go from one fill up at the gas station to the next like my wife can. So to keep from stopping every few miles the urinal is handy for me but when I'm driving I don't feel the need to use the men's room. I have to figure that one out, I think it's all in the brain.

I use the urinal at night too cause I go about three times or more then some nights I don't use it at all. It beats trying to reach the bathroom cause again as soon as I turn the bathroom light on I feel myself starting to use it as I look at the commode. I have a friend who has to time himself cause he has no sense of feeling when he has to use it.

If you need more info, PM me. At this time, 11:16, I see you and I reading this post so I hope to get it posted just once, if it's more, I will come back and edit or delete the extra posts.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest faithycan

Hi all,

wanted to give an update on Tom's wetting. He is doing much better ty. He is not drinking a gallon of water at night, and his pants seem dry, except for sweqting. He is also standing during the day every hour or so do get off his butt..he does that from 6:00 until I get home around 5:00. Then we walk after dinner, or go upstairs to the bathroom. I have been putting balmex on his bottom as well as zinc medicated powder. His bottom doesn't have sores but it is a dark red color. I don't know if it was always like that or not..It almost looks like a rash, but he is off of his bottom, is dry and has creme and powder. I shower him every day before work. He sleeps on an electric recliner, with a thick gel pad and a waterproof pad on it. When he took Lyrica his legs swelled up and his stroke side (left) bottom of his shins down is like a dark purple color that never went away. He has no breaks in his bottom (bedsores) he does scratch though, (trying to stop that)...I just need to know if i should switch cremes, should I be concerned? He says it doesn't hurt at all. P.S. Tom cannot walk on his own. And I work 40 hours a week.

Thanks!

Faithy

Keep up the good work it seems to be working for him, good luck!

faith, if he is sitting on plastic or leather, his bottom will sweat more causing him to itch and scratch. especially in the summer. the bright red color bothers me though. is he really remembering to turn off the heat during the day on the chair.i sure hope this clears up for you and tom. you don't want to deal with decubitis ulcers/bedsores. they are nasty to get rid of. i wish you good luck. keep us posted on how he is doing.

Hi Faithy: I am putting Tom on my prayer list and I will pray for him daily. I have to wear "Big Girl" pullups as well. I am a Brain Stem Stroke Survivor and it messed with me and my ability to know when I have to go and not go. It has taken me literally years to get to the point I am now, but, through the grace of God, I am doing so much better. In the beginning, I just didn't know what I was going to do. My hubby and I were at our end of our ropes. I found while in rehab, of course, they would just leave me there lying in my mess for hours on end, they didn't care, I was 100% paralyzed, I wasn't going anywhere, however I did get sespis and e-coli due to their negilenance and had 106 degree temp and was taken back to ICU in the hospital. When I was getting bed sores, etc. they used what was called Butt Cream and it truly helped, also, BuDrois, wonderful healing help. I now have a Bidet and it is a God send. Also, my Dr said to use wetwipes to clean me up and it would help. I don't know if this is helpful to you or not, but, I wanted to give you what helped me, I also had to train myself and experiment with what I drank and when and when I had mistakes, It will be five years for me in November and I don't seem to go through so many Big Girl Pullups. It just takes times, patience and love from my hubby as he is my caregiver. I know it is frustrating. Do you have a blowdryer that you could dry him off with? I will keep the both of you in my prayers. Just know God is carrying you both in his loving arms. God Bless, Keep the HOPE and Believe in Miracles and SOAR, Hugs, Jan

Guest faithycan

Thank you all for your imput..as usual, this sight and users are a GODsend., and if I didn't have my prayers, and the prayers of others, I wouldn't have survived..I just ordered Lantiseptic Skin Protectant which is used in Nursing Home care. I think Tom is scratching which isn't helping. I just want to share some good adive that I received on rashes. I use anti fungal cream on my rash that is caused by my bra, and it works! Tom has a rash right under his stomach. He is not overweight but it is from sweating. I put that cream on his rash there and it is clearing up. I did some on line research on it, and it suggested fungal cream believe it or not. Anyways, Tom isn't on leather. he is on a gel pad, which is protected by a water proof covering, and a padded pad that we got when he was in the hospital a while back. I put a chux on top of that pad..I am hoping that the Lantiseptic works as it comes highly recommended.

Thanks for your prayers and again, Love to all of you.

Faithy

hi faithy been at thepoint where u are now we have had 2 throw out many of good mattresses what i foundoutthat helpsisif i stop drinking fluids at 8 pm my time what i foundout the hard way heat will cause thebody 2 want 2 go potty a bit more another thing that we cameacross 2 help keep dry is we went 2 a secondhand shop andbout up theplastic table clothsata minunal cost andthey keep things dry andu canplace themin a washing maching2 wash andhang 2 dry youcan also placethem in a way do fluids go in another driction away from thebody but pleaselisten 2 al thevery very wise peoplehere on strokenet theyare someof thewisest peoplethat i have gotton 2 know goodluck andkeep up with theoitments talk some timereal soon i hope

BESSY :big_grin:

Archived