I Wanted to Speak Again! (Quick Find)

Note: This article is from the archives of the StrokeNet Newsletter. Editor Lin Wisman's article indexes and links to back issues of the newsletter are can be found in the Classic Postings and Advice forum and through the 'Member' Area' drop down menu. Steve Mallory, for those of you who are new around here, is the President, CEO and designer this fabulous website. This article appeared in the June, 2002 issue of StrokenNet. MBA: Jean Riva

I WANTED TO SPEAK AGAIN!

by Steve Mallory

I had my stroke in June of 1994. My stroke was a rare kind of stroke. It was a tear in the left vertebral artery causing a brainstem stroke. Nine of the twelve cranial nerves which affect the motor skills were affected. This type of stroke seems to happens more frequently to young people. I was only 36. It may have happened from me making my neck crack, nobody really knows. I was told that I'd probably never speak or move again. What a scary thought. I lost my speech and am quadriplegic. Luckily I got limited movement back and then out of shear luck and a lot of hard work my speech. This is how it happened.

I had lost my speech completely at first. This lasted about six months. I had to use a Communication Board (a piece of Plexiglas with letters on it). It's not any fun to just sit there and not give any input to a conversation or not be able to answer a question or not be able to cry out in pain. I quickly learned what frustration is.

I learned, by accident, that if I tensed up by pushing my feet against my foot rests I was able to let out a grunt. I learned how to say some words in this way. I was still having problems making certain sounds. The T or C or S were some of them. Words with blends, such as SC were out of the question.

By chance my wife had read an article about a person who had a similar kind of stroke. The person used a Palatal Lift to help her speak. This is an oral prosthetic, like a denture. It sounded too good to be true. We spoke to my Speech Therapist but she didn't sound too optimistic. She wasn't negative but she wasn't sure that it would help me. She really didn't know too much about them. I kept practicing using my pushing technique for a couple of months but there were still those sounds I couldn't make.

Again, by accident, I learned that if someone held my nose I could make those sounds . Apparently air was escaping out of my nose preventing me from making the sound I wanted. With this discovery my Speech Therapist felt that maybe the Palatal Lift might indeed help. There was no guarantee but I was willing to try. Life without talking was too inconceivable. Besides I looked pretty silly with someone holding my nose everytime I wanted to talk.

We found a doctor who had experience making Palatal Lifts (actually he was an Oral Prosthedontist, a dentist). He made the form, which is like a plastic retainer, and with a few modifications I was able to start talking. I now could say almost anything.

I was still having to deal with another neurological problem though. I also have Dysarthia. All the things which are required for normal speech are extremely weak. Breath support, lip strength, tongue movement, facial muscles, all the things that you take for granted when you speak were severely effected. I can talk but it is very soft. I'll take that though. I can speak. What was once inconceivable, in my doctor's opinion, was now happening.

If I can't say a word I spell it. Its easier that way. We got rid of the Communication Board as soon as we could. I don't have to push with my feet anymore either. My breath support has improved even with the dysarthia. I can say about three or four words per breath. I have to coordinate my talking with my out breath. This is essential for my speech. My voice is somewhat monotone too. I can get a little inflection in it but my voice doesn't sound natural. My breathing is also on automatic.

It seems strange that such a simple device could make a big difference like that. There are a few minor drawbacks to it (like being a mouth breather because the Palatal Lift prevent you from breathing out your nose) but they are worth it.

I hope this story may help someone else. One thing that I've learned is to never give up.

Steve

For additional information on Steve, you'll find his bio in the 'Gallery' and you can access his website by clicking on 'Members Area' then select 'Top Sites.'

• 2 years later...

Steve,

I had a farengile flap its a surgery where they push the uvala up and pull the skin back to cover your nasle passage. To where you can breath in through your nose and if they leave a little hole in the flap you can breath out a little, through your nose.

I like your posts,

foz

Archived