Bioness

This is something new in our area. I am wondering if anyone has used this and how it worked for them. Here is copy of the article. I also watched it on the news and it was amazing. This is article

She was only 9-years-old and lost the use of her right side.

"My mouth was numb like, you know, when you have Novacaine in it," said Kennedy. "It was just numb and my eye drooped and I couldn't talk."

Eventually Shelley was able to walk and talk again, but she never regained much mobility in her right hand.

More than twenty years later, the 31-year-old is getting her hand function back using this new tool, called Bioness, at Covenant Medical Center in Waterloo.

"She went from not being able to open and close her fingers to now she's able to feed herself," said Sue Hoey, an occupational therapist, "or to play a simple tune on a keyboard. And everyday she somes to see me she talks about new things she's able to do with that hand."

It's true. In just a few short weeks using the splint-like device, Shelley can control her hand again.

"I'm a single mom and that's been awesome because now I can put together puzzles with her," said Shelley.

Hoey says the $6,000, custom-fit brace provides electrical stimulation to muscles that open and close the hand.

"Doctors used to tell people that six months to a year after a stroke or a brain injury what you've got is what you've got. And that is absolutely not true anymore," said Hoey.

From playing the piano to throwing a ball, activities like this are exciting for shelley to be able to do with both hands, even though she had to wait 22 years for it to happen.

"If you give up on yourself, no one else is gonna, you're gonna fade away and I don't wanna do that," said Shelley.

Covenant Medical Center has six Bioness devices like Shelley uses for rehab patients.

Online Reporter: Tara Thomas, Adam Carro

Trudy,

Well, there are pros and cons about the Bioness. I have been in contact with them just last week for the one used on the hand. Then I spoke with Medicare and the VA about obtaining the item. I just can't decide if it would or will help me in my case. As all our cases are somewhat different in one way or another.

In one case it could work and another it could not there is no 100% so I'm still weighing my odds. I suppose you have to go with your mind of get it or not and the availability of getting it without paying out of pocket.

It's been discussed many times here you can search to find some of the comments. I think it's been used by a member here just don't recall who it was now.

I have been using the bioness h300 upper extremity device on my left arm since May and have seen great results. I had my stroke in Aug. 2007 and did OT 2x/week for nine months. Once my occupational therapist was satisfied that I had achieved enough range of motion in my wrist (10 degrees passive extension is needed to use the device - "passive" means that your therapist can bend your wrist 10 degrees - not that you have to do it by yourself). Before starting bioness I struggled mightily with spasticity in my left arm/hand. I could hardly move my fingers at all. Eventually I got to a point in which I could grip an object, but not release it. In other words, my flexor muscles were much stronger than my extensors due to the hyper tonicity. So, in May I transferred to an OT who is trained in using the bioness. I started going to her 2x/week and by week three I was able to open and close my hand volitionally (meaning: without assistance) including, most importantly, my thumb. I consider the thumb most important because once I was able to move it, I was able to use my hand functionally around the house for simple things like: reaching and grabbing a tube of toothpaste, opening the fridge, grasping a ball, almost anything really. Once you can start using your arm (even for seemingly inconsequential tasks) you begin rebuilding those neuropathways in the brain that were wiped out in the stroke.

It's also probably important to note that I have been receiving botox injections every 2-3 months to help in mitigating my flexor tone. (I receive injections in my bicep and inside/upper forearm). The botox serves to effectively "paralyze" the muscles that tend to have the most tone issues.

The only shortcoming I have seen with the bioness device (so far) is that it doesn't seem to be effective in helping patients recover those very fine motor skills. I am a guitar player, which requires some of the finest motor skills imagineable. I'm still a long ways from playing guitar again, I'm sorry to say.

please feel free to message me with questions.

Tom

Trudy,

My husband Patrick has had one for about a year now. He got it when he was about 3 years post stroke. It has not enabled him to have full use of his hand again (it is not a miracle machine) but it has helped keep his hand flexible and improved basic function. He can now use his hand to open doors although it still takes allot of effort and concentration. He would recommend it to others if asked. I would just add that it is just one tool in the arsenal of rehab tools available. As my mom would say, Don't put your eggs all in one basket!

Kristen

i did the bioness machine for 4 months-VERY TIME CONSUMING(I WAS UP TO 8 HOURS A DAY) AND EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE TO RENT I STILL DON'T HAVE FUNCTIONAL USE OF MY LEFT HAND. IT DID HELP WITH THE OPENING AND CLOSING OF THE HAND BUT ONY WHEN I WAS HOOKED UP. THE PEOPLE AT BIONESS ARE WONDERFUL TO DEAL WITHBUT YOU STILL HAVE TO GET TO A REHAB CENTER TO LEARN HOW TO USE IT. GOOD LUNK IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH IT!!

• 3 weeks later...

we are having wonderful luck with the bioness. yesterday my husband was able to throw a tennis ball from one hand to another. he hasn't even recognized that hand for over four years. we are thrilled. I think the therapist is even amazed at how well it is working for him.

Archived