Please help

I am a whelchair user. When I go out in the rain, even with a raincoat, my legs get wet while being pushed, and my seat gets wet while transfering from the car. Then I sit on a wet wheelchair seat. It is very umcomfortable being wet until I get home later to change. I need ideas how to stay dry when I need to leave the house in the rain. Now I just stay home. I can't always do this. What do you do? Thank you, Lay

Hello Lay

As you I live in a wheelchair I keep about three towels that have been lined with a nylon material that i keep for when it is raining i use them on my wheelchair seat when it is raining I keep them in the car so when i transfer from car to my chair I throw a new one on the seat nylon side down it gives you a dry seat as far as the legs getting wet i do not have that problem as i do not have any legs, but would suggest using the same to cover your legs with the nylon side up and tuck under the the bottom of the raincoat you might have to make longer ones for your legs, hope this was some help to you

Best wishes

Allan

Well, if you're more concerned about staying dry, than looking stylish, you could drape a big plastic garbage bag over your legs, until you get inside the place you're going to.

That's the only thing I can think of.

Allan's got a good suggestion about keeping a few towels ready, and replacing them when needed.

One thought comes to mind, if you got use of both hands, I don't, and someone helping you transfer and pushing you, then you may be able to hold an umbrella over you.

I got one I attach to the handle of my scooter because I use my good hand to operate the scooter and can not hold anything in my weak hand.

Hi Lay,

Like you I am also a wheelchair user...I am in a powerchair but I also have a back up manual chair ( although it makes me completely dependent on others because I can not self ambulate so I dont use it much ). Anyway I carry a towel and keep the cushion I am using with me so I have a dry seat when I use my manual one. My legs and the rest of me do still get wet. With my powerchair I dont use a cushion and my seat has a cloth cover on it so I just get wet....I just try to get out of the rain as quickly as possible...lol. Luckily I can take the seat cover off and wash it when I need to.

I know that for my powerchair they make kind of like an awning to block sun and rain and once I saw one that had a clear plastic thing that had elastic that went in front of the person and over the footrest. And I know someone personally that had a piece of PVC attached to the back of their manual chair to hold a cane and when it would rain they would hold the cane and stick an umbrella in the PVC thing instead and it seemed to work pretty good.

Well...good luck...

Carey

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lay,

I have to use a wheelchair distance. I have gone to amusement parks twice with my family in a wheelchair and both times it rained. The first time my legs were drenched but the second I got a rain poncho and was very comfortable. You do have to tuck it in a little so it doesn't get caught in the wheels but other than that it works good. The chair got wet but I stayed pretty dry except my feet.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Just found the perfect powered scooter for rainy days http://www.evehicle.com.au/Shoprider%20Rai...html?openmenu=8

It is in Aust. $s so should be cheaper in the States a little pricy but seriously thinking of purchasing one

Allan

HI lay me my self i drape ahower curtin over my chair and its big enough that u can also fold it over ur legs 2 provide protection from the elements u can also use a table cloth that is plastic on 1 side and a cloth base on the back. hang in there there are little lessons we all learn as we go along the way i stay home when it gets real real cold and hiberinate goood luck hope u find some thing that works 4 u and works well check out all that others have suggested and find the 1 that best suits ur needs asd 4 some thing 2 keep ur head dry use a umbrella they make umbrella that u can attach 2 ur arm rest u put iton and screw it in2 place u just have 2 take caution with any thing

BESSY :big_grin:

HI LAY

I USE A ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR AND WAS TOLD NOT TO GET ELECTRONICS WET. SO BEING A X-SPORTSMAN I WENT TO SPORTSMAN SECTION OF A DEPARTMENT AND BOUGHT A XXL RAIN PONCHO (5.00) IT COVERS ALL YOUR CONCERNS. I TREATED MYSELF TO A CAMALFLOSH COLOR. ITS NICE BECAUSE I CAN KEEP MY RIGHT ARM UNER RAIN COAT AND STAY DRY WHILE OPERATING MY CHAIR

Thank you all for your good suggestions. I have a question to add re umbrellas. I tried using one the first time it rained with my wheelchair. My husband, who was pushing my chair, said the umbrella poked him in the eye. Does anyone have this problem? Lay

Archived