massage therapyhelp to battle with spasticity

i have had a stroke for about 6 years, with alot of spasticity, with both my left leg and left arm, so i started to go to massage therapy, for a treatment of one hour, of deep tissue therapy, and i have found that it has help me alot in dealing with my spasticity, so munch so that i am able to walk better, and i have some use of my left arm, i am still recovering, but there is no spasticity, i hope that this helps , if you need anymore information just let me know lenny harrison

Lenny,

Good to hear the message therapy is helping you. My PC is trying to get my insurance to approve therapy for me to deal with my issues with my arm. If it gets approved we can compare notes.

Best of luck to you.

A hair brush can be used for massage therapy, brush your affected side or limb to stimulate the nerves. A hint from my O.T. and the massage therapist I have when in hosp. Get a soothing lotion and massage your affected areas or better yet massage your caregiver it will be good exersize then have them massage you. Just a thought. My wife and I talked about it then I was in the hospital ( where I got daily massages) and we forgot about it.

Dear Lenny,

I am so glad the message therapy is helping so much...I hope the ins co will start recognizing it as treatment! God Bless......Joy

Lenny,

I had massage therapy too for a while, one hour each at 45 dollars a session. I could not afford it long and the clinic wasn't registered with Medicare so they would not pay although it is an authorized treatment here in Texas.

Mine will be 5 years next month and I still have the same problems which I treat with medications and trips to the senior center to use the many machines there. That helps a great deal keeping everything moving. My pains are still off the charts.

Man, when I got off that massage table I felt like a new person, I was going twice a week. 90 dollars a week I had to stop going as she never got confirmation from Medicare that they would accept her into provider status.

lenny, that is great news. our muscles get so tight from non or limited use, the spasticity starts. a good massage eases up those muscles and feels good to boot. my shoulder and neck muscles hurt so bad sometimes, because of my non-functional left arm just hanging all the time. i would love a massage. maybe i will try the hairbrush theory. i hope you can continue the massages and continue to get better. i don't see insurance companies ever covering this treatment, although its cheaper than therapy would be. but we never know, they might actually start to care about stroke recovery in the future. keep getting them as long as you can lenny and keep us updated on how you are progressing.

Hey Lenny,

Have you tried acupunture? It really helped me with my ankle that was seized up and hurt on and off because of the stroke. I can now move it about 40% more than I could before and the pains gone, worked for me and maybe you.

Lenny:

my left side of body has become too sensitive for touch. for me massage hurts since gental touch itself is unpleasurable. I want to know whether you can feel the touch properly. If not then want to find out what is deep root massage, does it hurt

Asha

Asha,

I got that same problem with my left side (stomach) area only. Feels like I'm putting a match to it as it really burns to the touch. My doctor hasn't figured out what she can do yet. I'm thinking it's the nerve endings trying to communicate with the brain or something. (((How long have you had this burning sensation or sensitivity feeling???)))

On the other hand, I can use a vibrating massager on the other parts of my body with no problem in feelings or touch. It's really strange to me.

I know you directed the question to Lenny. But when I had the massage it didn't hurt and you can feel the touch properly. I didn't have this burning sensation at that time either.

Archived