Hand Gripping and not releasing

Hi Karen,

It sounds like your finger flexors (the muscles that do the grabbing) are a bit spastic and the finger extensors (the ones that do the releasing) are too weak to overcome the flexors. If you can build up the strength in the finger extensors you may find that you will be able to release objects at will. I can provide more info on what I have done with my fingers if this would be useful.

HTH

Sue

Please do share with me regarding this flexor.... thing. I had inpatient rehab on the rehab floor for about 3 1/2 weeks once I was out of intensive care and then the regular med surg floors. That is all. I had rehab ordered for 4 days a week, x3 on 3 days 2x on 1 day at a cost out of pocket for a $78 co pay for each session for a total of $234 per 3 days a week and $156 copay the other assigned day. I went one day and was readmitted for vomotomg which I did constant ly after the bleeds into the brain and the strokes. We could not keep up with all that and the cost of testing my coumidin levels twice a day at $39 a test four days a week They would not arrange payments on the co pays so I did all the coumidin testing we could afford and pyhsical theray was finacially out of our reach. Especially when all I could get done was vomit anyway. Bottom line is I have still had no therapy except what was on the stroke floor for those three weeks What I have achieved I have done on my own with stubborness and determination to walk again I was not walking when I left the hospital at all except short distance on walker with assistance. I was recommended for in patient care in a care facility but I couldnt afford that either. I have my scootie for things that are more than I can do. My cane for the little stuff. I tried the quad cane but it was to heavy for me and Id trip up and fall fffffttttttt!! I have no idea how to rehab a stroke I just kept pushing That is all I know how do do. I am after two years still fighting to get medicaid or medicare...... So I stay home and try to do nothing that would get me hurt and wait for Bill to come home to help with the rest. And this was done TO me. I stroked in a medical procedure. They were putting in a central line. I get $167.00 now in SSI I got my first check. The medical bills have left us in hopeless debt **sigh** I could not affod the health insurance due to the pre existing..... More long storie I am tired of telling as I cannot stand whining and negativity. Life is still worth living even if it overwhelming . Especially with the debt load of all this with no health insurance. We onsidered bankruptcy but were informed all it does is restructure the debt not eleminate it. **sigh** I do hope this is something you can tell me about what I dont have to go somewhere to rehab as my husband is our only income and he works construction..... Which essentially means not working more than working in this economic time of hardhips..... Not sure why I told you all this..... sorry. Hugs Karen

Dear Karen

You asked for it:)

As promised, here is the wrist & finger work that I have been doing & continue to do. Hope it may be of some assistance to you. With regard to fingers, flexion is when you bend them, extensio is when you straighten them. Gor the wrist flexion is when you bend your wrist trying to get the palm towards the underside of your arm, extension is bending you wrist up in the opposite direction.

Wrist

Thank you so very much for sharing with me. I have to find my own ways to rehab. It is amazing to me that I have not hardly gaied in strenth at all. I am so glad to report I have done my first sets and will make this a part pf my daily routine. I printed it all out. Maybe there is hope for me yet!!

Sue,

Thanks for sharing your info; as I have a similar problem releasing.

Wesley H.

Dear Karen:

Gosh, did your post hit me right between the eyes. Especially:

And this was done TO me. I stroked in a medical procedure.

That is hard to get past isn't it? The same thing happened to me and it had been a MAJOR roadblock for me. But, today, five years later, it doesn't sting as much and I pray one day, it will be removed from me forever. I was suppose to go into the hospital November 2003 for a SIMPLE IN AND OUT PROCEDURE,a simple heart catherization. Well, didn't happen, I didn't recover in recovery, they shocked me twice, brought me back, stil ldidn't recover, they finally did a cat scan and it revealed I had suffered a major Brain Stem Stoke and had so many other strokes, they were too numerous to count. I have been fighting back ever since. I was in a coma on life support. Don't feel bad when you share from your heart, we are here for you and it probably very helpful for you to do so. Have you ever considered blogging about it? You are in a good place for others to share their experience, strength and hope with you. Please don't ever give up on HOPE AND FAITH. You are a Miracle and you are not doing this journey all by yourself. I wish I could come over there and give you a big hug. I am going to keep you in my prayers. I have faith in you. I know how the financial aspect can rip your life apart also. Could someone do a fundraiser for you? I know one of the local businesses where I live gave me one and that was a big help. Also, I have other ideas maybe you could look into. I would be happy to share my ideas with you if you would like to hear them. I have done a lot of fundraising throughout my life.

I know my hubby had to take an early retirement because I needed to have 24/7 care and the insurance wouldn't pay for someone to be here with me. Have you spoken to the social workers? I also know I had to become my own voice, my advocate. They wanted to send me home without me being able to do so many things yet. It was a mess.

Please update us as to how u r doing ok? Know you have people here that truly care about you and take things a second at a time. Believe me, it will get better. I promise that.

God Bless, Hugs, Jan

Believe In Miracles And SOAR

Scream and hollar! Feel better? It helps me sometime.Apply for everything you can to get money or help, Don't pay for anything, I'll find some websites and post them, Maybe some of these guys can help with this too. Maybe set up a link page for ethical help. Hang in there.

Thanks everyone, I really do try not to concentrate on why the strokes, rather on how to rehab. I never really thought of anyone doing a fund raiser....We still are in the mindset to give to others where we can. Jan like you I had multple strokes. Still I am nere when they told my family there was little to no hope. Things are difficul but you can always look and find those who have it so much harder. Thank you all for your care and concern. WOW!! I love that I am not having to do this alone anymore. It helps to know your not alone. Hugs to one and all

Thanks Sue for taking the time to write out such an extensive and thorough list of suggesions. In addition one that I was always told to do which helped considerably was weight bearing on it. Open the hand completely then lay it flat on a table or up against a wall and lean all your body weight into it. I also sat on it in an open position palm face down all the time. Today my fingers are straight and open and close at will also as a result of the same kind of focus and hard work with it. It can be done.

Hi Karen

I have found the Handmaster plus really good for rehabilitating my finger extensors. It really works very well. Squeezing a ball only exercises the flexors, but with the rubber bands on the handmaster allow one to exercise the extensors. It only costs about $20, which is great value.

The website is http://www.doczac.com/

Good luck

John

• 4 weeks later...

I also have to pry my hand open after getting something in it. After numerous searches and talks with my OT.

What I have just gotten as an alternative is the Theraband Progressive Hand Trainer sheets. They come prepunched with finger holes and the starter pack has six different strengths along with two rings to fit the sheets on. Skip that because the rings do not work. Just buy one of the repplacement packs and get a 7 or 9 inch embroidery ring. None of the single sheets was strong enough to hold my fingers open. So I finally put all six sheets from the red repacements into a single set of embroidery hoops and that was finally enough to keep my fingers spread. This is also good for finger intrinsics which Saebo can't do. I actually take this to work and while my arm is hanging by my side have it stretching the finers out. I can get this on in 1 minute vs. 20 minutes for the Saebo. Google the complete term to find it. Therabands website is worthless. No guarantees but I like it.

I have been looking forever for somehing simple like this. My OT was impressed

Dean

• 1 month later...

Karen,, I don't know if you have tried.. gather up all your medical bills, power bill, gas, etc. Go to the Department of Social and Health Services. Sometimes you can get medical coverage.. for large medical bills. called.. catagorically needy.

Yeah I am glad your Medicare has come through... since you have made progress and keep working on your own, I am sure your Dr will write for you to have Physical and or OT therapy.

I am not sure where to get them.. i will try looking on the internet.. it is a stand and has a wheel with bicycle pedals.. you can put on the floor for your feet, but you can also set on a table and use for your hands and arms.

http://the-sports-supply.com/cardiovascular_equipment.htm this page has 2 of them

Bonnie

Archived