shoulder pain

Hi Carolyn, Is this your shoulder on affected side. If it is its very possible you have subluxation because your arm i dead weight and it creates a small span between shoulder and arm. Yes this can be quite painful. Try to support your arm in a sling or if you have pockets on what you are wearing, you could put your hand in the pocket which would take the pressure off the shoulder. If you are sitting at a desk or kitchen table, set your arm on said desk or table when you can. The sling would be a better option. If you are still doing PT, you can ask your therapist about it and she can probably recommend a made to measure sling. I hope this has helped a bit. Take care,

mc

Hi Carolyn,

None of the members here are medical experts; we can only offer suggestions based on what we have experienced and learned from others.

When I was in therapy right after the stroke, my therapist worked with me to learn how to bring my shoulder back instead of letting it drop forward as that added to the strain on my affected shoulder.

My brother has had several strokes he is a diabetic. He was told when his shoulder was killing him that over time the rotator cuff had a tear most likely from the affected side Anyway till he had that joint redone he was told to sling it up against his chest Karen

When I was in rehab, the PT had me do the same thing that Donna mentioned. It has helped.

Hope you can try this and it helps.

Stessie

Hi Carolyn

I wear a shoulder support my OT recommended she doesn't like sling around the neck.

It's a neophrene sleeve into which you put your affected arm then a band comes around the back & fastens in the front to velcro (of course) it doesn't 100% solve the problem - but takes enough of the weight to change from pain to discomfort it's relatively comfortable - I only wear tthrough the day every day not too pricey - available at medical supply stores.

As others say try to get into the habit of resting your arm on something or even holding(cradling)it - anything to lesson the weight pulling on the shoulder

Good luck - we learn as we go

Susan

Hi Carolyn

My absolute sympathies with the shoulder pain, it's one of the worst pains I know of - literally breath taking :(

As Marie Claire mentioned it may be shoulder sublaxation but equally it could be a number of other things (eg rotator cuff as per coloradokares, shoulder spasticity, other injury, etc.). Please get it checked out as all these things can be sorted, just with different remedies).

I hope you are able to rest comfortably enough.

All the best

I have shoulder pain as well, for starters i've got CPS ( burning sensation) going down my arm ,take tegretol to take the edge off. The other pain I have according to the scans I had shows that I have an Bursal impingment, which means that the tendon is scrapping on the shoulder blade, on the rotor cuff (sorry to sound so medical, read my report).I went to see an Orthopaedic Surgeon, he gave me cortesone injections which do help depending on severity now they didnt help me very much Im to have keyhole surgery to fix it. Iwish you all the best in getting your shoulder fixed & maybe you find an Orthopaedic Surgeon that can help you , Good luck.

hi carolyn, i too have shoulder pain but mine is more muscle pain in the trapezius muscle specifically. it hurts so bad some days, i tend to put heat on it to relax the muscle on those days,to give me some comfort. a sling is a good idea to support the arm as others have said. talk to your neurologist for the right solutions for you. i hope you feel better soon. good luck.

I would think that between shoulder and leg pain 80% of those survivors are affected at least half the time. I'm always suffering with shoulder, arm and hand. When they stop, my leg and ankle starts to hurt. I take so many pain pills I get constipated. I just had acupressure done yesterday to relieve some of it by the same clinic that does acupuncture. Today I still hurt as usual.

You are not alone by no means. Check with your doctor to see if your meds can be changed or increase the dosage if that's possible. Then try to exercise the shoulder as much as possible especially if your therapy sessions has ended. Do as much as you can at home and with help if available.

Here lately I notice my shoulders hurt and my neck when I sit at the computer too long.

Guest electric Heart

OMG. I have been plagued by severe shoulder pain on my affected side, so much so that I thought maybe I had a torn rotator cuff because I had a few severe falls on that side. Just last week my Oncologist ordered a CAT scan for me so we could see once and for all if it was injured. The CT was negative so that 's why I went back on Neurontin, the pain and neuropothy is awful. Maybe accupuncture or deep massage will give you some relief?

Ally

Archived