Dad

cinder

Dad was moved to cardiac care today. His heart rate had accelerated to an alarming rate. They said, that when dad was treated for pneumonia, the fluids were ran through his body at a fast rate, which is a normal treatment for pneumonia. But this time when they did it, he didn

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dad is doing extremely well. In fact Dad is being released from the hospital tomorrow back to acute care. Dad has improved so much, that there is actual debate on if he can qualify for acute care now.

What happened? I have no idea. Not one clue. But I'll take it, and so will Dad. His suctioning needs are almost non-existent now. He has spoken to me more in the last 2 days than he has in months. I told him he was leaving tomorrow, and he said, "I know, I'm going 2 blocks". Acute care is indeed, 2 blocks from the hospital.

Yes, Dad still has an infection, the trach, feeding tube etc. But... they said that if his suctioning continues to diminish they will discuss removing the trach! And... they will start to work with him on eating orally again. OMG!! I looked at Dad and he nodded. (gotta love him). Dad told me he wants to start with a chocolate shake. He also said he wanted White Castles, but I told him those would be a little way off. (he pouted)

I want to thank everyone for the continued support and virtual strength being sent his way. I can't think of any other reason that this turn around happened so fast. Last week they were telling me bad stuff again, this week it's all good. The ride continues.

As of today (right now, this minute, recent time frame) Dad is doing great!

Guest greyhe

I've only got one word for this.

YYYYEEEEEAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for both of you!

Michael

For all you die hard "Dad" fans... Dad is still doing very well. He finally made it back to acute care. His suctioning needs are still diminishing. He has NO infection at this second in time. There are no health concerns other than keeping his oxygen saturation up. We are fighting some redness on his lower back...

I just got out of a meeting with the woman who takes care of supplying and maintaining Dad's oxygen needs at home (the oxygen lady). She gave me a list of questions (numbers, equipment) to have the acute care place fill out so she has a better idea of what to order in for when Dad is released. She told me there are a few people on her route who have trachs, or used to. I have to set up with visiting nurses to have them assess Dad. I would like them to come once a week and check him out, do labs, and once a month for trach and catheter changes. We'll see how that goes. I'm being trained to do this for emergencies, so if it doesn't work out, I can still do it.

Oddly, I'm more scared of the feeding tube than the trach. I don't know why. I guess because I've seen it clogged so many times. A lot to think about and plan for. But at least I'm in planning stages now... smile.gif

Dad is still very alert and talking stronger everyday. I was concerned he wouldn't be able to push hard enough to be heard through the trach, but the stronger he gets, the louder he gets. If he can keep pneumonia and respiratory infections at bay (easy to get a respiratory infection because the nose is no longer filtering dust etc.) He might make it home by Father's Dad.

Talk about a party.

PS. If anyone has experience with anything I'm learning, your input is greatly appreciated and much needed.

rcraft/cinder/ronda/scared daughter...

Guest greyhe

Good news Cinder biggrin.gif

Kathy is having to fight with upper respitory problems as well. Her problem is that her body is underproducing mucas. What I found that works great for her is to buy an oil burner that heats auromic oils using tea candles. Every night right after she falls asleep, or during day naps when she's been having problems caughing, I burn a little bit of Eucalyptus oil in the room. Finding 100% pure is hard and it's a little pricy (I pay $6.49 for a 4 oz bottle at a local flee market), but it helps keep her throat and lungs clear and makes breathing easier throughout the day.

The feeding tube can be a bit scary at first. LIke everything else, do what the nurses teach you and you'll be a pro within a couple of days. Just make sure to add water through it regulary to keep it flushed and to keep your dad hydrated. Also, need to make sure to keep the area around the hole cleaned (Kathy still had discharge around hers, but the doctor said it was normal.)

Good luck scared daughter;

Michael

I haven't updated in a few. Dad has a respiratory infection, and as of yesterday they are debating if it's pneumonia too. They are culturing his sputum to see, and I should know today. I don't know if he will be making a trip to the hospital though. They could easily treat both at acute care, but with Dad's history, they think they might send him. Dad scares everyone...wink.gif

He is doing well mentally and emotionally, and is talking more frequently. He is getting and making jokes and laughed several times yesterday. They call him a big sweetheart there. I agree.

I dread the facility telling me that they are sending him to the hospital. Not because I don't think he needs it. I just don't want to tell him...again.

Thank you for the continued support in reading Dad's thread. I tell him everyone around the world knows him, and he smiles.

Cinder,

Thanks for the update. You know we all wonder what is going on when we don't hear from you from time to time. The place he's at now seems to be working out now, I hope he can keep a room there for as long as he needs it.

Next time you see your dad, give him a hug from Don and me in Michigan.

Jean

Well, it

How wonderful for you! I know this is what you have been waiting for for so long now. Please keep us posted on how both of you are doing once he arrives home. And don't wear yourself out trying to get ready. There will always be something left undone, but it can generally be done just as easily later. As long as it's not a life threatening part of the setup, take a breath and roll with the punches.

Three cheers for both of you! Hip Hip Hooray!

Kathy

cloud9.gifpash.gifspoton.gifClap-Hands.gifDance.gifthumbs up.gif

Cinder, this is great! While you'll have a lot more work, at least he'll be at home 24/7 and that's the best for all concerned. happydance.gifhappydance.gifhappydance.gif

Phyllis

AMAZING! You and your father have both worked long and hard for this day to come. I wish you all the best with your father's homecoming. God Bless you.

Shana biggrin.gif

Dad is still doing very well, no problems. His release has been reset for possibly next Tuesday, due to suppliers not delivering on the weekend

Cinder,

I'd need a medical dictionary to understand everything you need to buy/do but I'm glad you listed this stuff. It makes my past and present job lists look tiny by comparison. But you know what I'm going to say: that big freaking Father's Day party is the most important thing on that list!

Congratulations! You'll get it all done in time, don't worry.

Jean

P.S. Did I ever send you a PM about calling our local Red Cross to see if they loan out generators to run medical equipment during a power outage, or did I just plan on telling you that? (I'm old, I can't remember.) They do this in our county and surrounding areas.

Guest greyhe

Just a small list, huh?

Now for my 2 cents.

UPS (actually stands for uniteruptable power supply). APC is still a top name. They also make smaller strip UPS, or power strips that can handle brown-outs with no problems.

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm for a few ideas.

For cleaning out dust, compressed air is a handy tool to have. Can find it at any department store.

Michael

Cinder,

I got tired out just reading all that, then came #13. I'm with Jean on that one. You're a hoot! (yeah, like you haven't heard it before).

Gosh, I can't help thinking what it's going to be like for him when he gets home. Sometimes I picture him working in the wood shop or whatever you guys call it. Can't remember right now....but you get the picture. Take care, pash.gif

Hi, Cinder, I don't know anything about most of what you listed but I do use a "Safety 1st" baby monitor from Wal-Mart. I can even go outside to the garage and still hear my guy in his bed. It was relatively inexpensive and works well. Can use it either on battery or plug in.

I fed my husband a few times when he had a feeding tube and flushed the tube after the feeding. He had his for ten weeks and it never got clogged up but it was flushed good after each feeding. He never was on a continuous feed with the machine monitor thing.

Good luck and it has been a long hard fight but I think even with all the extra work involved, you will find your Dad will blossom once he is home.

Joy

Cinder,

Congrats on the great news! We all knew he was a fighter, the doctors are the only ones who didn't. I wish you luck with all of your list. I know you will be fine, this is what you have wanted for so long now. I am so happy for you!

pash.gifhappydance.gif

Archived