Ups and Downs of One-Handed Cooking

CagedBird

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I do all the cooking again. It's gotten much easier and less exhausting. For cutting ease, sharp knives are #1. Dull knives are a danger and frustrating to boot. I also use an ulu which you rock with one hand. http://www.theulufactory.com/

The ULU knife is a God send. I have 2 of them. Living alone, I thought I was going to have to give up eating steaks all together. oh gosh it was made for using one handed. If you don't know what they are do yourself a favor and check them out. I think they cost around ten dollars. Well worth every penny.

you are such an inspiration to me

• 1 year later...

My mom has spoiled me, she makes me make my own sandwiches sometimes! I was right handed before the stroke and even after all this time (2004) I'm still not coordinated with my left hand! But, I'm an only child and she did a lot for me before my stroke, that's just her. Now, though, she is insisting that it is time for me to start learning to do things for myself and I know she is right,(yes, she is typing this, but I am tallking) starting with getting on this site and making friends. I have been so isolated for all of these years. I lost all but one of my friends (an older man, I call him my uncle) after my stroke. Now I will make new friends and become inspired!

Taylor

I made soup today. It was progresso so it had a pull-tab type lid on it so I could open it. Any suggestions how to get it all out of the can one-armed? It was beef stew and I really wanted it. My wife left me for a couple hours and I would've like her to see how independent I could be. I spilled it all over the stove which sits below the microwave. We have an electric stove and it got in the circular part of the burner. I wiped it up the best I could. But, I KNEW it wasn't wiped good enough to pass my wife's muster. I need help. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I got a screw-in hook with a long shank from Home Depot and screwed it into the underside of a cabinet over the counter where I do most of my meal prep and, once I pull the can lid's tab up a little with my fingers I hang the can by the tab from the hook, put a dish towel on the counter under the hanging can and pull down gently on the can so the contents won't slop out. When the lid is partially off I take it down, set it on the counter or put it in the sink to finish the job.

• 1 year later...

Check out onehandcan.com. there you will find one-handed food prep videos and other helpful stuff.  I admit to being the founder of this website, so I'm prejudiced, but I've been told by many it's a great resource for living one-handed in a two-handed world.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

One handed anything I have problems with. My last stroke effected my right side and as you can guess, my dominate side lol

I have problems washing dishes. Cant tell you how many I've broken. But yeah anything in the kitchen, as well as bathroom, I find difficult

I was given a thermomix. It's the new model, which means it's very easy to use one handed.

I use it mainly for baking, not actual meals as such. I do love making savoury muffins for lunch. It's great for the days I look in the fridge and decide everything else is just too hard.

• 8 months later...

Yes Janelle they go in the dishwasher no problem, I picked up a few at the supermarket a few years back, they were with the baby stuff. They are used by many of the cheap Asian restaurants here in Melbourne. Actually that's another source of them, try the catering/kitchen warehouses.

• 1 month later...

With the pull tab cans I place them on the floor between my feet to hold the can while I pull on the lid or I get one of my kids hold the can and then pull the tab. I find that the automatic can openers are great for a short time. I often buy can switch the pull tabs on top. Hope that tip helps

Wow I am so energized when reading these posts. Thankfully my stroke which happened on both sides of my cerebellum sorta evened each other out. I am able to move my arms and have no numbness but I do have a loss of finger use and grip. Just to think I felt how hard it was to pick up and make my fingers do what they were supposed to do especially hold tight it is nothing compared that you guys have overcome and so much more. It's motivational to see that so many are here with another great idea to help and it seems as nothing gets in your way if you keep at it. I am glad I can read this board and triumph with you (I think I can be a good cheerleader even from afar when their is something to cheer about!) Thank you!