Can Openers

Guest joy

Somewhere recently, I read about a can opener that could be used one handed but cannot find the information anywhere. Can someone help me with this? Joy uhm.gif

Hi Joy,

I think you are looking for a thread in our Classic Postings and Advice forum. It's titled "Adaptive Gadgets and Devices. The can opener being discussed in that thread is the Black n Decker cordless Ergo Model and there is a picture posted, too. Here's a link:

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showtopic=628

Jean

Joy,

There is a great site I have used. It is called Active Forever. They have hunderes of assitive devices, and do have a one handed can opener. It looked kind of bulky to me, but it is worth a shot. Their websited is

www.activeforever.com

The can opener is by Black and Decker.

I also saw another one on another site by Krups. It is the Krups Model 404 and you can find it at www.amazon.com

I don't know how easy it would be to use either, but it does seem to rest on the counter, so it may be easier to get the can into it.

Good Luck,

Kathy

Thanks, you guys. I have a neighbor and friend - not a stroke survivor - but she cannot use her can opener because she can only use one hand. She has no live in caregiver and only has help three days a week. The other days she just does without unless someone takes her something to eat. Her caregiver tries to keep enough cooked for her to eat but sometimes she is without and will not call and ask for help. She says it is because I have my hands full with caring for my husband. I will try to find one of these can openers and get it to her. Thanks again for your help. You all are the best. Joy

Dear Joy, I hopped right on this one. I was given a product called Gismo at the holidays. It is a cordless can opener by Black&Decker. I ran into the kitched to check it out since it is installed but I haven't used it yet. I didn't appear to me a one handed model so I called the company to inquire.

You should check out their product Model #KEC500

I think he said it was a walk around something with a self charger base. ound in Walmart or K-

mart and probably other places Good luck! It's amazing what they make these days. Leighla

A few years ago I was given a Hamilton Beach Portfolio, it is a walk around can opener too. I can easily operate it one handed, although as everyone knows I am not a stroke survivor. I'm just lazy. Last year it quit working so I looked for another, I found the Gizmo. I tried it in the store and realized the spacing for one handed control was different than my portfolio, it was harder so I didn't get it. I went home and took apart mine and fixed it. It still works... biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Black and Decker Ergo can opener. Yes it can be used with one hand. It is sometimes (depending on the can) a bit difficult to get started. But, then it walks itself around the can and turns itself off. It is also cordless which is good if you have a lack of balance. The can opener can be used where you need the can opened. You never have to move a very full open can across the room. garydotgray also uses this can opener and it works for him.

Hey, everyone. I got a Gizmo by Black and Decker. It's egg shaped and fits in the palm of your hand. I could use it right handed but not left handed. I gave it to Kathy and she was thrilled. She opened a can of Tuna right away and nearly cried because she could do it by herself on the first try. It is the rechargeable one that comes in the round box. Don't remember the model number but I got it at Wal-Mart for under $20.00. Now I highly recommend this to anyone who can use their right hand. It's really awkward (sp) left handed. Kinda like it is upside down or something. Anyway - thanks for all the suggestions. Joy happydance.gifhappydance.gifhappydance.gif

• 2 years later...
Somewhere recently, I read about a can opener that could be used one handed but cannot find the information anywhere. Can someone help me with this? Joy uhm.gif

Joy,

I received a One Touch Hands-Free Can Opener for Christmas. It is battery operated (2 @@'s) and it can be operated with 1 hand. You just have to put this light-weight plastic gadget on top of the can. It has a magnet and push "button". It will run around the can and cut it just below the top. The lid comes off when you take the gadget off because of the magnet. It is from China and I think it was from Walmart.

The one thing I do not like is when cutting a can of tuna, I can't push down on the lid to "squeeze" the juice out. You must be careful also when handling the can because the cut part is very sharp - just do not touch the edge. I can't think of any other food that you would want to do this to. Of course, the contents can be poured into a strainer which is over a bowl but usually, with fruits and veggies, you use the juice - one to eat and the other to cook it in. And it says it will not open rimless cans or cans with odd corners.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

• 7 months later...

I have a One Touch also. No, tuna needs to be squeezed. We keep the regular hand crank on hand. (Hubby doesn't like mine!) :lol: It works good except for small cans, like those little mushroom cans. For them, I just call hubby! Oldwoman

Archived