One-handed reading

Carol,

There are book holders that I've seen for cookbooks, that allow you to stand the book up, and it keeps the page open. The pages can then be turned and then slid under the holder at the top of the holder. That may work for her. I did a quick search and found this one that is adjustable to height, and has a leg strap to help with stability. http://www.adaptalap.com/

Don't know if it will work, but it is worth a look.

Kathy

Hi Carol,

As a one-handed stroke survivor, your mom will be able to use the free services of the books on tape program for the blind. She can sign up for through the library but will need an occupational or recreational therapist to sign a paper. They loan you the machine to play the tapes on, which you can keep indefinitely. You can get and return the books on tapes through the mail free.

If this doesn't appeal to your mom, you might look at some on the electronic book readers that you can download books to off the internet. There are several brands out with different features.

I have a leather strip that is weighted at both ends that I got at a bookstore that helps keep a book open. I love it.

Jean

• 1 year later...

Hi Carol,

My best idea would be to get a lap board (has a bean bag pillow idea under the board and the board has a bottom ledge) and then add a wide elastic strap that will a) hold the book open to the page but with enough elasticity to b) allow a one-handed page turn without causing the page to wrinkle and c) keep the book stable.

Lap boards are fairly common in the stores and cost less than $10. You could add the wide (1") elastic strap with staples.

Dickons

Guest veggie.vampire

I'm in the same position, have a book holder but to be honest manage without it. It's amazing with a short space of time you just adapt. A newspaper or magazine is read easiest resting it on a table.

I find, for me, that hardback books are easier to handle versus paperback. Hardbacks are generally larger and easier for me to negotiate turning pages. I like the lapboard idea though - may have to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a floor light and table light that has a clamp and magnifier for those having trouble reading and using one hand. It is very near daylight made by Daylighting! HUGS. BTW theses lights are on rollers and the light, magnifier, and clamp are flexible to meet the needs of each individual

HUGS, :uhm: Jean

hi i find it very useful to have a maginfying glass thety make them with light now days alsomake a big sheet that you put over the page and it ampflies the page making it much easier to read or a comfy bean bag for laprubber thimbul for finger to turn pageswitha good book stand wil help a lot hope al works out

• 1 year later...

I have a special bookholder that is a stand that you can adjust the height and it swivels it has saved me because I was an avid reader and have no use of my left hand and arm and find it difficult to hold and turn pages on any book unless I am at a table. This thing holds your pages open and only requires one hand to turn the pages.I like to read in bed or in a recliner and this bookstand is on wheels and goes anywhere I want. You can fid it at www.solutions.com . I love mine!

Happy reading!

After having gone through a few book stands, I still did not have the freedom and flexibility to read where and when I wanted to. I couldn't tote my book around as I always liked to do. A solution to this was a priority for me since I wanted to be able to read as I always had. i took me some time but I finally found a solution that works perfectly for me. It might be worth checking out for you. It's not cheap about the same price as an ipod, but operable with one hand. I throw it in my bag and carry it with me everywhere,the books for it are about the same price as regular books.

Sonystyle.com |

Archived