Have you tried the Saebo? I could use your help

I have been trying to write an article for the Strokenet newsletter for a few months on the Saebo Flex. I have heard some complaints and some praise on this. I couldn't finish the article because I couldn't get someone from the company to respond to my emails. Someone did and I'm interviewing them next week.

I would like to know if anyone has a story to share. I would like to hear the good or the bad. I want to make it a fair and balanced article. Don't worry, I won't use your full name. If you have any answers to these questions, whether you are a caregiver or survivor, please respond.

1. Have you used it?

2. Were the results as good as you hoped for?

3. Did a therapist have an easy time using it?

4 Did you have a demonstration by the company's rep?

5. Do you have any questions you would like me to ask the company spokesperson?

You can either answer on here or privately to me by email. You'll find my info by clicking on my name.

Thanks so much for your time. When new things become available for survivors, we have to pass along the information to let others know.

Kathy Bosworth

Kathy, there is a new post yesterday by JFarrell asking for people that had trouble with the Saebo to respond, may be you can get some positive answer to questions you still have.

• 4 weeks later...

Kathy: I have one. The company, previously A.T.E., now merged with Saebo, is fantastic. And my ATE trained therapists (the Davis brothers of Mesa, AZ) are phenomenal. My criticism is that the device itself is clumsy and impossible to put on by myself. It even takes a therapist about 5 minutes to put it on. There are little beaded chains that hang off it and get caught on everything. It is really cheap, though, so the uninsured can afford to get one. I have seen no functional improvement and do not expect to, but you never know.

Rene

Guest lwisman

Rene,

I am curious as to why you say it is fantastic.

You also say it takes a therapist to put it on and that you have seen no functional improvement.

What are the good points?

As I posted before, I got my FTM during the research phase, and they have since learned that it really returns movement only in those who have residual movement, which I do not. They now market it to "increase" movement. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a weak hand.

Rene.

I have an FTM device and I am encouraged by it. I've been using it for a number of months and have seen no functional improvement in my hand, however, but I am hopeful that will come.

Insurance paid for my device, but i understand the direct price is over $800 It is difficult, if not impossible to put on myself. My wife was trained by my therapist, and now we're able to get it on my hand without too much effort. I've been getting acupuncture treatments for my arm and hand, and i find the Saebo device easier to work with better results than before the acupuncture.

Tom Holub

Tom,

You say that you haven't seen any functional improvement since you have been using the device. What are you able to do with it at this point? What types of exercises to they have you do? My husband is scheduled to start therapy with it in August. Thanks

Tammy

Tammy,

I'm able to pick up balls when I have the device on. The device helps with extension (opening) of the fingers). I often just use it sitting in a chair to see how much I can squeeze my hand and then observe how much the device does to extend my fingers as opposed to how much i can do. There has been some improvement there, but I still have a clenched fist most of the time, and am anxiously awaiting the day when i can open that hand on my own. The device also comes with several exercising tools to help straighten your arm(primarily tricep extensions) and to better direct the hand through a hoop. Of all the terapies I've tried in the past three years (and there have been a lot), I'd give the FTM high marks. If for no other reason that I am using a limb that has been dormant for over three years.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Glad that it is helping you somewhat...........and it does give you hope that you will one day open your hand on your own! Keep up the good work.

Tammy

Hello,

I just started with my saebo flexonly negative consideration I have and this is isolated to me and my body,I have a lot of weakness and the soft tissue in my joints islimiting to the amount I can train with it each day . when I went for my initial training session I could hardly take my eyes off my hand becayse it was so great to finallly see my fingers extened it's been three years after all. not only do I think it will help ,but itwill and has provided side benefits to strengthen my shoulder.It's like getting two for one IMO

Kevin

Archived