Simple 3 part stroke test

May 31, 2005

DAYTON, Ohio -- A three-part test of stroke symptoms that makes the Internet rounds periodically is so elegant in its simplicity it's a relief to know it has some scientific validity. It's being circulated again during Stroke Awareness Month.

To determine if someone is having a stroke, ask the person if he or she can:

-- Smile.

-- Raise both arms.

-- Say a simple sentence.

For anyone who has trouble with one or more of the simple tasks, call 911 immediately.

The increased use of the clot-busting drug TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) makes quick medical attention to strokes even more important because it allows doctors to dramatically limit brain damage if they start soon enough. But only 2 percent of stroke patients arrive at the hospital within the three-hour window from the first symptoms.

The three-part FAST (Face-Arm-Speech Test) was developed by researchers at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Medicine and presented at the International Stroke Conference in 2003.

But FAST is not designed as an academic exercise. It is a quick- and-dirty, memorable list for helping people get friends and loved ones to the hospital before it's too late.

Their findings haven't prompted the American Stroke Association to change its recommendations, said Christian Brill of the Miami Valley American Heart Association, because the research behind them comes from small samples.

These are the stroke warning signs disseminated by the Stroke Association, which is part of the Heart Association:

-- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body.

-- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.

-- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.

-- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.

-- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause.

"By distilling the assessment process down to three simple tests," says the myth-busting Web site www.snopes.com, anyone can remember what to ask and how to interpret the pass-fail results. "For once, there's a 'send this to everyone you know!' missive afoot that really does contain highly useful and important information."

Guest lwisman

When I went to the ER a few weeks ago I had a doctor ask me to do those three things. I recognized it immediatelly because I had seen this is several places. Good to know that this simple info is getting to docs.

Another thing you can do that we where taught in EMT class is ask the person to stick out their tongue. If they have had a stroke only one side of the tongue will start to come out of their mouth..................

Kim smile.gif

Guest greyhe

I read this test somewhere before (can't remember where at the moment).

Here is some additions.

Smile-- Make them smile big, and look for slackness on one side of the face or both

Raise both arms-- Check for weakness on one side of the body or the inability to raise their arms all together

Say a simple sentence-- Listen for slurring of the speach

Other tests to add are

Ask the person for their full name, the year, who is president, and where they are. -- This tests for cognitive and memory skills

Push against their feet and have them push against your hand -- test for weakness in the feet / legs

Squeeze both of your hands at the same time -- test for weekness in one or both hands

Follow your fingure with just their eyes -- test for vision impairment or eye motor control problems

Use the first three tests first to determine to call 911. After the call perform the other tests so when the EMTs get on scene you can give them a better profile of the symptoms.

Michael

I copied the text and pasted it in an email I sent to all my email pals.

• 1 year later...

This is on Our Home Page If You click on the last button Stroke Support it will take you to an Information Page . Has a quiz. TIA"s recognizing a stroke and some other information.

Archived