Splints for hands

hiya.gif Some times especially at bed time my effected arm spasms really bad and it becomes painfull even after taking tablets. I can end up through the night liying on it and twist it badly without knowing. I went to see the pysio and I have been given a night splint which is rather hard kinda plastic with velcro to keep hand in place, and had once forgotten it was on and hit myself in the face during the night what a bruise I gave myself head_hurts.gif I just wondered if any one else has used splints at night time and if so what kind??????

i had one that sounds like your's while i was in the hospital;but i stopped using it when i learned to open my fingers from a fist some on my own - if its working on the spasms, maybe you can fasten a softer covering to protect your face in the future.... good luck!!!

always,

teal

ohmy.gif DEAR MARINE I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN I HAD MY STROKE AND USE THE SAME BRACE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT,I HAVE MY STROKE AND NOV 2001 I HAVE A LEFT SIDE BLEED THAT EFFECTED, THE THALAMIC REGION,WHEN I USED TO SLEEP AT NIGHT I HAVE THE SAME ACES YOU ARE HAVING BUT WITH PLENTY OR EXCISE, AND I KEEP USING MY RIGHT HAND, THE ACES GOT BETTER,WISH YOU LUCK WITH YOUR

Marnie:

Chris has been given a resting hand splint to help with his affected hand, wrist and fingers.

The visiting nurse said religiously put it on or his wrist and fingers will contract and then never go back to normal. This is also a very hard plastic.

Kim smile.gif

• 9 months later...

My husband had his stroke a year ago. When he finally got movement back in his left hand he also had the problem of night curling which resulted in bad pain every day. Doctors and therapy never told him that he needed any sort of brace. He didn't realize he was doing it but he held his arm stiff and the left hand would be up in the air with all digits down except for the middle one which resulted in some very odd looks from people. At night those fingers would curl into a tight fist and he would put pressure on the hand in his sleep.

Anyway, we went to have the Easter Seals Rehabilitation evaluate him before his driver's license would be returned to him. The evaluator told us that a special brace could be ordered through them with a prescription from his doctor. This splint is hard plastic covered with padded material that is easily removed for washing. It lies under the arm and hand with the finger area gently curved so the fingers can be strapped down at night to keep them from doing their own thing. His pain is much less now from the strain he was putting on it at night. All of the pain will never go away but we are gradually finding things that will lessen it.

When you go in to ask about the brace they will measure your arm. You will have to ask your doctor for a prescription and have it faxed in. Once the new brace comes in you just pick it up and they will show you how to put it on. It's really easy since the velcro is all color coded with the straps. I think my husband's was $100 but with insurance we paid $25 for it and believe me, it was money well spent.

When I first stroked and first day in in-patient I had to wear this hard,type brace that w/velcro helped keep my fingers/hand from closing,had to wear it on for 2 hrs. then off 2 hrs. The spasms were so painful that not only did I dread the time to put the d---- thing on, but my family hated to do it because of the pain it caused me.

But lo and behold when they started using the e-stim, gradually the painful spasms left. It was my understanding (so my husband tells me) that the brace was to help fight the severe tone I had in the affected hand because the brace had finger seperators.

None the less, the Tone in the hand seems to be winning. Even w/ botox the Tone is still saying its the boss.

But honestly, maybe you can try some e-stim for your painful spasms but then what worked for one may not work for another, but you've got nothing to lose but some painful spasms.....rose

It's great to know that I am not alone,

I did have to use the plastic splint an awful lot last year but now due to receiving botox injections and the fact that I have settled into a routine with them means, that I no longer need to use the splint as often in fact I very rarely need to use it :cheer: apart from the odd time where my botox is wearing off. I have a few weeks period in between the injections wearing of and me receiving my new ones because the spascicity returns so severe, and I use a night splint.

• 4 weeks later...

You should all check out the Saebo website @ www. saebo.com. They have a splint called the SaeboStretch.

We are ordering one for my dad. Everything that is at SAEBO was designed by 2 OTs that happen to be brothers! They know their stuff. Check out this website and you will be encouraged!

when I first stroked 6 years ago I wore the hard split and I spasmed so much I couldn't stand it. :( . just went back to OT and we ordered a new soft one from Ali-Med and it's great...nice and soft and adjustable, I hardly know I'm wearing it and my hand is always in a fist when I don't have it on.

good luck!

Beth

I just wondered if any one else has used splints at night time and if so what kind??????

Hi Marnie,

I used night splints during my stay in rehab and when I first came home.

They were plastic made by the OT at hospital

I stopped wearing it after about 3 months at home and haven't worn it since.

How about wrapping the splint with an ace wrap to soften it? Ask your OT how long you should wear it and when you can give it up.

All the best,

mljmsw

• 3 months later...
Guest Rachel208

My father-in-law does not have access to the internet but I told him about this forum and he asked me to post this question -- I hope you'll respond on his behalf . . .He had a massive hemorrrhagic stroke in early March 2006, and was finally discharged from rehab two weeks ago. He's depressed and wanted most to know this:

So you have the stroke and you wear the split (left side) -- does anyone ever have the bad arm / hand come back? If so what have you done in terms of therapy / exercises / treatments?

(He's using a rolled up washcloth inside a knee-hi hosiery to keep his fingers from wrapping closed too tightly, instead of the hard brace w/ velcro straps that they gave him in the rehab.)

Guest MelBaker

Hi Rachel -

Yes I have had most of my affected arm come back - my fingers are still a work in progressthough I've been told I'lll never type with them gain...we'll see about that ;)

Exercises that my OY had me do were on "baby toys" the big piece puzzles, stacking the old type wooden blocks, pushing shapes throy=ugh their apprpropriate holes, working with play-dough......stress balls.

I would recommend going to a soft splint if he cannot tolerate the hard one - the washcloth id a good idea but only increases the tendency to curl - or so /i was told - itthesame basic reaction that babies have when you put something in their palm, ittheirhand closes around iy automatically...he needs something stiff to prevent that curling.....I have had the hard splint that seperated my fingers and have progressed to a soft material covered splint called the Lynx (you can see it here) This works well for me now after my doc increased my night-time clonipin dosage......

Good luck!

Guest Rachel208

Thanks -- I'll report your progress to my Father-in-law, and esp. about the splint tips. He will love this medium if I can figure out a way to get him access! His PT suggested using his good hand to grasp the bad hand and lift it at various positions to help keep the arm moving and stop joints from stiffening, but he says it hurts. We don't really doubt the pain, but don't know how much he should try to work through it in order to improve range of motion and help his brain re-connect with the arm and later the hand.. He doesn't ever want to do any exercises at all and we're not sure how far to push or insist. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.

Archived