transportation

I have been thinking about getting a different car so that my husband and I can eventually have a little independence. He is 6'3" so we find that he is really too tall to get into and out of a saturn or other small car easily. I have an Excursion and it is too high for him to get into without an extra step and a sidewalk curb. Than it takes two people because he has to balance on the a step and do everything else he has to remember to do in a standing transfer. His left side is paralyzed. I was wondering if anyone else has solved this problem. I've thought about handicapped vans but they are really expensive. He won't be driving because he can't remember he has a left side (I can't remember what it's called at the moment.) I was hoping for something that I could help him transfer into without so much help. We feel extremely tied down. Suanne

FYI that's called left side neglect.

My hubby drives a Dodge Ram truck that has pipe 'running boards'

I grab the "OH, no" handle, place my right foot on the running board and swing in.. Perhaps my defecit isn't as great as your husbands, so my info might be worthless to you.

I'm only 5'9". Maybe ask other people who are tall and ask what car they've found to be easy to get in/out . Then go test drive it on the sale lot.

Not knowing your age, you could call it a 'senior moment', or if you're blonde....a 'blonde moment'.

Guest greyhe

Here's my input smile.gif ;

I'm 6'4" and I know about cars and room. If you want a roomy vehicle that's low enough to the ground for easy transfers, then there's one that instantly pops into my mind. Ford Taurus Wagon. First time I ever test drove one of those I instantly thought "I have got to get me one of these".

If you want to really know the answer, the best thing to do is go to your local dealership, explain what you want and why, and test drive the heck out of the cars biggrin.gif .

Michael

You might call your local mobility converter place---the ones who put wheelchair lifts in car trunks, extra grab bars between the windows, and ramps in the vans. Our local one always has used converted car or van for sale or on their bulletin board. They can also tell you which cars, models, are best suited to some of these add-ons. A friend just bought a 2000 converted van with 24,000 miles for $24,000 and it looks like brand new. Nicest side-door ramp built in that I ever saw and you can drive a wheelchair in and snap it down to the front passager seat area.

Jean

My husband is 6'2" and has right side neglect. We didn't have any problems loading him into our PT Cruiser, but if I wanted to take anyone else with me to help get him to and from therapy, there was only room for one person by the time I had to fold down half the back seat to load his wheelchair. As much as I hated to do it, I traded it for a year older Dodge Grand Caravan with about 20,000 less miles on it. I have removed the middle seat so I can load his wheelchair in and out the side door by taking it apart and folding it. And, just recently I bought a cheap fold-up ramp so that I can now take his power chair wherever we go. Only problem now is finding a handicap spot to unload the darn thing as the ramp is 5 ft. long when unfolded from the side door.

Sarah

we just bought a 2000 Ford windstar, I have been both passenger and driver and this has been the easiest car to get in and out of and also visability driving. the side door slides back and opens easily for loading and also the door in the very back. I have some peripheral vision loss and find this very easy to see and to navigate. Oh my husband is 6 foot, large frame, I am 5'1 and it is easy to move the seats and has power mirrors so easy to change.

Bonnie

This is really a great post for us because we are "looking" right now. Bill is 6' tall and we have a Mercury Sable sedan. It has worked really well. We leave his wheelchair in the trunk in case we need it. That just leaves the back seat for luggage, and soon I hope we can ditch the chair!

With all the deals on cars right now, these are the ones I'm thinking about: Chrysler 300, Ford 500, Buick Rendezvous. We've looked at KIAs, but I'm just not convinced I want to go that route.........

Bill has right side neglect, so getting in is easier than getting out. Cars are just a pain sometime, but we've gotta have 'em! gleam.gif

Have fun shopping, I intend to! (Well, maybe that's dreaming for now - and lots of test drives with hubby!

I HAD A FORD TAURUS WHEN I HAD THE STROKE, AND IT WAS FINE, EXCEPT I HAD TROUBLE LIFTING MT LEG OVER THE LIP. SO MY WIFE AND I SPENT A FEW DAYS TEST DRIVING VEHICLES. WE BOUGHT A BUICK RENDEZVOUS BECAUSE OF IT'S EASE OF ENTRY, SEATING COMFORT AND RIDE. IT'S BEEN ALMOST A YEAR, AND IT'S BEEN THE BEST, MOST VERSATILE, PRACTICAL CAR FOR OUR NEEDS. WE BOUGHT ONE WITH LEATHER SEATS, BECAUSE YOU CAN SLIDE IN, OUT AND ON THE SURFACE EASIER.

BEING AN OLD CAR GUY, I NEVER BUY NEW. I BOUGHT A YEAR OLD LOADED ONE FOR ALMOST HALF THE PRICE OF A NEW ONE. IT WAS CERTIFIED, SO I GOT AN EXTENSION ON THE FACTORY WARRANTY. WHY TAKE THAT FIRST YEAR MONEY BEATING?

HAPPY HUNTING,

MARTY smile.gif

Marty said:WE BOUGHT ONE WITH LEATHER SEATS, BECAUSE YOU CAN SLIDE IN, OUT AND ON THE SURFACE EASIER.

If you find what you are looking for but it does not have leather seats, a physical therapist suggested a plastic bag when my sister who had broken her femur had to be in my car and I do not have leather. It works but is a pain in a way, but cheaper than buying a new car if you aren't now looking.

Guest greyhe

They also sell leather seat covers biggrin.gif

And now a word from the message board's locksmith.

To keep from having future difficulties check what kind of key system the car has. Some fords use a transponder system that costs $100 - $200 for a new key. A lot of imports use a transponder system that require new computers for a new key and can cost $3000 - $6000 .

It's something a lot of people don't think about until it becomes an issue. Transponders mean more security, but also a bigger price tag should you need new keys.

Michael

Archived