Pets as therapists

Hi all, it's been a little while since I posted last. I've been pretty busy taking care of Mom but I also made the decision to adopt a Greyhound for Mom. My Mother has always been a huge animal lover as am I and we've always been the ones to drag every stray in sight into our houses. My Mom's dog died three days before she stroked (a contributing factor I think) and I thought a dog might cheer her up. She's been doing much better the past few weeks but she still seemed kinda down in the dumps at times although she just loves when my cat comes in to visit her in her room. I brought the dog home last Thursday and it's made a huge difference! She asks about him constantly and tells me to bring him to her room. The guy that runs the adoption chapter here uses his Greyhounds as therapy dogs at the local rehab center as they are the perfect size for people that are in wheelchairs to pet. Since the dog came home Mom has started being able to move her arm and her speech has improved dramatically. I'm not saying it's the dog but I think the dog might have something to do with helping her attitude which helps her all around well being. I know they have done studies that say people with pets live longer so there must be something to it. Has anyone else here noticed the benefits of pets for stroke victims?

Kristina

Great idea Kristina!

I think pets are a great idea for people, whether they have a handicap or vision problem, stroke or not. It is documented that people with pets have less depression and have a reason to get up in the morning. People with pets also have lower blood pressure.

I have a special needs grandchild and her parents got her a golden retriever last year. What a wonderful match they are. I don't know who loves who more. It has been a joy to watch them both.

Good luck.

Kathy B

Hi,

We got a dog about 6 months ago, a stand Poodle--about the size of a Doberman for size comparison. He is in training to be my service dog. This dog has been a great help to me AND to my wife who is my caregiver.

Pets are great comfort 'tools' and provide you with the unconditional love that we need to feel.

AMEN ON THE PETS. MY CAT BECAME MY WIFE'S CAT DURING THE MONTH I SPENT IN THE HOSPITAL. HE HAS FINALLY COME BACK TO MY SIDE, (NOT FEEDING HIM FOR A WEEK DID WONDERS) AND IS A WONDERFUL COMPANION. HE'S THE FIRST ONE IN BED AT NIGHT AND POSITIONS HIMSELF AS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY CAT. I STARTED LETTING HIM OUTSIDE AND HE PARKS HIMSELF NEXT TO ME. TOO AFRAID TO RUN AWAY.

MY DAUGHTER ADOPTED A COCKER SPANIEL A FEW MONTHS AGO, SO NOW WHEN WE VISIT, MY NEW SECOND BEST FRIEND STAYS WITH ME.

NOW IF I COULD ONLY PET THE FISH.

MARTY smile.gif

My husband and I are animal lovers..we have 6 dogs and a cat, when I had my stroke we had 4 dogs..my left side was paralyzed, and I started to get some movement in my arm but not very controlled. our oldest minature pinscher (the dad of the other 2 min pins) Muggsy would get up beside me an nuzzle under my paralyzed arm, and before I knew it i could pet him...Our Australian Shephard/border collie mix, walks with me outside, she has stood still when I have been woobly so I can put my hand on her to get my balance. If she is walking ahead of me she stops often and looks back as if to say are you coming mom. And two weeks ago I was asked by a friend to take her little toy fox terrier..her husband doesn't like her and she was not house trained..we ll in 4 days I had her pretty well house trained, she has goined some weight and she is quite a snuggler. I know if I am feeling kind of low, all I need to do is play or get "kisses and I watch their antics and my mood lifts.

Bonnie

It seems we have a lot of animal lovers here lol. It really is amazing what a difference they can make in people's lives. Today we had a doctor appt. at 1pm for Mom's wound care. This involves her being up and ready in her wheelchair at 11:45 to wait for the transport bus then the drive there. Of course you get to wait forever to see the doctor and he decided one of her wounds needed further debriding so he did that while she was there as well. She was just utterly exhausted when we finally got her home and back in the bed at 5pm. I know she has to be in pain from the debriding not to mention tired but as soon as we got home she wanted to see the dog lol...I brought him in to her room and she petted him and baby talked him, which incidently is very clear when she talks to the animals. I finally had to tell her she needed to get some rest and the dog needed to go outside to do his business! I'm surprised more people don't adopt these dogs they are incredibly smart and gentle and he follows me everywhere I go. They also don't bark as a rule and are crate trained when you get them as they have lived in a crate their entire lives. I'm sure the last thing I need in my life right now is a cause with all the caretaking I have to do with Mom but I really think I'll have to get involved with these animals.

Kristina

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to get a small dog to be a companion to Ray but as Ray is so tippy on his feet at the moment I have some concerns that a small dog would trip him up.

Has anyone else had trouble with falling over their pets? At present we have two goldfish but let's say they are a little too quiet!

Glad you have found your Mum a suitable dog , Kristina, and I hope it makes a big difference to her recovery.

Sue

Our dog, who we had before Don's stroke, is very careful around Don when he's transfering and his standing. I was leary at first but have come to trust him completely not to get in the way. Another funny thing, the dog loves to take socks and run with them. Since the stroke, he only takes my socks. He seems to understand that Don can no longer run after him to get the socks back.

Jean

Four of my dogs are small and stay out from under feet, although they were pretty good about that before stroke..they don't want to be stepped on either.

Our newest (Alyese) a toy fox terrier waits until I sit in my chari and tell her okay or I pat mt leg and then she jumps up and snuggles in.

If you don't want (or have the time) to deal with a puppy there are many rescue organizations. even rescue organizations for pure bred dogs.

My friend got a mix breed dog from the newspaper, the dog had to find a new family as his master was going into a nursing home. She is a wonderful dog.

Bonnie

Archived