Occassional incontinence

I haven't been to a baby department (around where they sell diapers) but don't that make something throw-away that is especially for cleaning that would neutralize the urine that he gets on his skin?

Jean

Yes, Jean has a good idea, a box of baby wipes next to the bed. Also A&D ointment may help the rash, and if you use the A& D ointment it may help as a barrier to keep the skin from absorbing the urine.

My incxontinence after the stroke was exacerbated by the fact that I was having prostate surgery when i had the stroke incontinence is a common side effewct of a radical prostatectomy.

After four and a half years of doing kegel exercises. and always having a spill-pruf urinal in my car and next to my bed, the problem has become manageable, although I do still have episodic accidents. The urinal can be used when you're lying in bed which makes life easier for me and my wife.

Tom holub

Thank you both, Jean and Bonnie!

Yes, Jean has a good idea, a box of baby wipes next to the bed. Also A&D ointment may help the rash, and if you use the A& D ointment it may help as a barrier to keep the skin from absorbing the urine.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this post from our perspective. I think Ray's problems stem from him ageing ( he is 64). It is fifteen years since the first stroke, seven and a half since his major strokes. He has ongoing problems with diabetes and maybe some kidney problems creeping in at this stage as a result of small vessels disease.

The pads are fine for when we are out now. Ray wears them all the time. He seems to have long periods when all is well and then there are times when he's up and down thinking he needs to go to the toilet and then doesn't . Do any of the survivors have this feeling of urgency as an ongoing problem? And if so what have you found works for you?

Sue.

Hi Sue,

As you know we've had a bout with the up and down thing. The last time Bill was in the hospital they added Flomax to his medications for the prostate and also added Namenda for the dementia. I don't know which one was needed, but the urgency is gone. To be honest, I think the Namenda has helped because it has brought him back from the dementia and I think the toileting issue may have been a fear of having an accident.

That's all, girlfriend!

I just wanted to add a note regarding the rash that can develop from wearing the adult diapers or pads. I had tried every ointment on the market for clearing the rash, and nothing seemed to work (Desitin, A&D ointment, antifungal creams) until one of my sister-in-law's suggested trying T-tree oil mixed with a regular hand lotion. I tried that and it didn't work either, so I found an organic body balm called Palmer's Olive Butter Formula at Walgreens and mixed a few drops of the T-tree oil with it and applied to the area, and that cleared it up right away.

Sarah

I keep a box of wipes that I bought from the medical supply store next to his bed. He is totally incontinent so I try and get him to use the urinal but he doesn't do very well with it yet. Only 6 months since the stroke. The therapists suggest getting him on a schedule somewhat like a kids training. I also bought a bunch of white thin wash cloths and keep them handy next to a small tub and I fill it with warm water for the changes, along with a hand towel which works best. My concern is also making sure he gets enough air and doesn't get a rash. I use a Desitin like ointment and make sure if any place looks like there could be trouble I put it on there. At night sometimes I use extra padding underneath and just fold the "brief" over and allow air to flow in. This is such a delicate subject but as a caregiver it is a task that I do all day long and it helps knowing what others do to make the task easier. It is not fun for George either but it is not his fault so I try to make it as dignified as I can for him. We haven't been out for lengthy trips out of the house yet, just for a couple of hours at best as it would be hard in this situation.

Any suggestions for more than just a couple of hours being away from the home and needing to do a change??

• 3 weeks later...
don't that make something throw-away that is especially for cleaning that would neutralize the urine that he gets on his skin?

In the toilet paper section of the grocery, I found personal cleansing wipes that are flushable from Cottonelle and also Charmin. They work well for my husband. We keep them by the toilet, in the car and take them along when traveling. The containers are plain and not as embarrassing to have around as a box with a baby picture on the outside.

He also keeps the urinal by the bed for late night or morning use. We have a small bucket by the bed that he sets it in when he finishes in case the dogs bang into it and it spills.

• 3 months later...

Just an update. The doctor said every time you notice an increase in frequency, burning sensation etc go straight to your doctor to have urine tested as an infection can do so much damage and needs treating.

Because Ray has early dementia as well he can get a increased confusion from any infection. So all infections need attention as soon as they come to your notice.

Sue.

I to have to fight the dribble dragon if I wait to long or drink a little extra, when I was in the hospital I had the scan done after urination and I was managing to empty bladder, I did end up with extremely bad bladder infection, I am slowly doing better, but just to save embarassment, I use a depend, I have found gold bond powder is medicated and I use that some, since they are plastic I tend to sweat some and on my stomach have even used spray on deodorant, smells good and makes me feel refreshed, good luck, I don't think they have a exercise for men so maybe dr can help.

Dear TNstroke61306,

I hope things are improving and you and George can get out a little more now that spring is upon us.

My husband is doing pretty well as far as urine incontinence is concerned. We did have an accident on a trip in January. I took everything in the men's restroom where there was a handicapped toilet area and helped him change in there. I would have done the same thing in the lady's restroom, however someone was using that one. We made the change and left the bathroom. We had no problem with anyone being rude and it worked fine. Accidents happen.

Fortunately we haven't had any problems with bowel incontinence while out. I know how aware Bill is of the situation though and it seems to be affecting his desire to go out somewhat. There is a constant fear for him, I know. Unfortunately at our last doctor's visit we were told it is stroke related and it is a situation we are learning to deal with. We are attempting to work on a schedule, but do you know how frustrating it is to "go" on demand?

Yes, this is a delicate subject - but reality is reality.

:( Sue -

poor Ray is not at fault and needs no training, just have him wear protection, just in case for times when you are out in public -

I know, cause I can't make a run for it, either and once one has had a stroke, any neurological damage cannot be reversed, so training would be mute.

Just do as is and have him tell you when he gets that first urge, ut by wearing protection, he'll never, hopefully be le to embarressed

June, I've been there :2cents:

Archived