Any ideas to help with swallowing?

Hi everybody,

My dad had a brainstem stroke on 23/03/05 two hours after my son Ciaran was born. My dad ,pre stroke was a very strong man who seemed like he could do all the house work, gardening and clean the car all in a afternoon.

He has been unable to speak and swallow since that point. Today he had a swallow test, he failed the doctor said food was only staying in the mouth. This has made us (I have 2 brothers and a mum) feel very down. I would do anything thing to get him to swallow, have any of you any ideas that may help. I feel that if he could swallow this would be a big boost.

Paul

After my husband had his brainstem stroke in 2/04 he failed two swallow studies. His speech therapist gave him a whole exercise program to help strengthen the muscles for swallowing. By the time he finished rehab, 3 weeks after his stroke, he was eating a regular diet. I know that his progression was very quick, but if your dad doesn't have some exercises to do, you should ask his speech therapist.

Toni

Ask for the speech therapist to show you how to stroke his throat to induce swallowing. Ray had exercises to do every day and I helped with some of them. Remember the cheer squad helps to keep the patient's spirits up and like cheering on an athlete the performance improves too.

Also ask that he be tested in the morning when he is freshest as Ray and I were told initially that all speech therapy should be done when the patient is at their most energetic. Physiotherapy was always late afternoon after he had had nap.

Does your Dad handle thickened liquids okay? Or is the problem with moving things to the back of his throat? There are exercises for that too.

Hospitals never let a patient starve so eventually the decisions will have to be made.

Hang in there.

Sue.

Paul,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, because I've had a similar episode with my Dad's latest stroke. Since his stroke, he was able to swallow using his throat muscles and could speak with difficulty, but he could not swallow anything taken by mouth.

As a result, he had a feeding tube inserted and has been on bowles feeding ever since (which has not been tolerated well due to acid reflux and constipation). Fortunately, he had a good coughing reflex and after two months of recuperation, he began working with a speech therapist, who had a modified barium sonogram test done to observe how Dad could swallow. He is now working with Dad to eat modified foods.

As you say, it was a BIG step forward for us, when Dad was cleared by the sonogram to begin working to eat foods. Eating something that tasted (good, bad, it didn't matter) is one of the few pleasures that he has had lately (he likes being taken outside and read to).

My advice is to work with the speech therapist and periodically test your Dad's abilities with the barium test. If he is able to utter sounds, work with your Dad to say AAAAHH's, EEEEEE's, and words starting with a hard C or K.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is seeing a speech tharapist who is using "vitalstim", an electric stimulator along with her sessions. It has worked very well. She did a couple barium tests and she's aspirating a lot less than when she started. She has a problem with the sensation that causes coughing, so I didn't know that she was getting fluids into her lungs. Thank God she didn't get pnemonia, but this is serious business. She also does exercises, and these are helping alot. Your speech therapist will be able to answer questions. I sure got a wake-up call on how lucky we were that she hasn't been sick.

Hi !

We went through that with my dad. We had to fight for therapist not to give up on swallowing. They did reactivate his reflex with cold temperature on the side of the mouth, inside.

Then they started to give him one spoon a time of yogurt (not liquid !!).

And progressively my dad recovered his swallowing. It took him more than 5 months ...

Best luck !

Rapha

• 7 months later...
Guest cindy1947

My husband had his stroke on Dec. 24,05 and he just had his 3rd Barium Swallow Test last week and finally passed it. His Speach Therepist found a way in which he is comfortable with. He takes a spoonfull of pudding, takes a deep breath, turns his head to the right, makes a forcefull swallow,clears his throat,repeats the steps once more and he does fine with it this way. He cannot swallow facing forward. If you have a good Therepist they will work with it and find the right way for him. He does excersizes 4 times a week with therepy and the rest on his own. It will be a while before he is really eating but it sure made him feel good to pass that last test. It all takes time and patience but eventually it can be done. Best of Luck hang in there and be possitive!!!!

HI,

My mother in law had this problem and could not swallow without putting the THick it stuff in everything. Eventually with exercise she could swallow, but the food or drink had to be either cold or hot with no in between. She always had very cold ice water or iced liquid and her food very warm, if lukewarm she would not be able to swallow and would choke, It takes time and patience to see what works and what did not. Hope this helps and wish you well.

• 4 months later...
Guest Nancy-La.

Hi, Mother had her stroke 7/1/92 and after she was not able to swallow and tests were done and a feeding tube was put in. Mother had that for about a year and a half we worked with speech therapist and got her to talk better and I started to pureed the food I cooked for dinner and I started to feed her little by little and she started to handle the pureed food well. So I worked with her for a while till she got to eat everything as I did. Which she has been eating solid food for about 12 1/2 years. I hope this idea may help you and your family member over come this little bump in the road. I know this is difficult but we all have to keep a posisitive attitude at this time I am sure things will get better with all your love and care you are giving.

Best to you!!!!

Nancy-La.

This is very frustrating problem for everyone.

My dad had a stroke a May 2005. He couldn't swallow or speak and was on tube feedings. He still can't speak, but just within the last few months he is eating pureed foods, 3 meals a day. In just the last few weeks, they started giving him his medication by mouth without crushing the pills first.

Please stay on top of the doctor and speech therapist. Without the therapist and myself double-teaming Dad's doctor, we never would have gotten even a second swallow test done.

There is always hope, and always room for improvement - just keep plugging away.java script:emoticon(':cheer:',%20'smid_17')

Archived