emergency care plans

I had a social worker visit last week and while a lot of what she said was irrelevant she did ask a good question:"What will you do in an emergency?". She explained that if I have a fall, the ambulance comes to take me to hospital but most likely they won't take Ray too so I need an emergency plan in place.

We do have children, one lives here, one twenty minutes away, one two hours away. We do have neighbours, one is particularly good but is often away working. I do have friends but most of them are working age and still working, or elderly. Now I need a priority list so I can get some help fast and a long term plan for care for Ray if my incapacity takes a while to get over.

Do others have an emergency plan for their survivor?

smile.gif I thought of that too.

I have a letter that I placed in my vehicle in case I get into an accident and have to be transported to the hospital..In it I have supplied emergency contacts such as a Outside caregiver source that is on call 24/7.

They are to call them first and get someone out to be with him..The letter explains that he at home alone and is unable to care for himself, that he had a stroke and has Aphasia, he can not speak but responds with yes or no or short words..Then they are to call my family I have three contacts prioritised who gets called first..

It has our phone numbe, address and our Primary's Dr's number.

I also have enough printed out in case I do have to go to the ER and they need to contact someone..

I am looking into a company that will take care of contacting emergency persons for me but it is pricy. Have to see how I can find the extra money to afford them..Maybe once we move to a smaller place with less expenses I will look into it again sounds like a good thing..

Take care

Angie

Sue, thats a good question, being the survivor, I hope my wife has someone in mind. We will have to discuss that question. I'm blessed to be able to do somethings myself, but for how long?

Just recently the police came to a ladys house, arrested her, but left behind a child, unable to care for herself, that died. So it's good to have a plan in writing. I don't know why they did not check the house. I think the lady could not speak.

Sue,

This is a good topic that we all should put some thought into. I carry a laminated, bright green card in my wallet near my driver's license with information about Don being home alone in case I were to get into an accident. It's got emergency numbers of family members who could come get Don, info. about his medical problems, etc. I also have another card with information about me on it and a third card about the dog and his emergency contacts. I figured if I couldn't talk, someone would look for my license and find my emergency cards.

This is going to sound odd to people who are not from this area, but I have emergency information in the refrigator, in large medicine-like bottles and and "EMS file" decal on the front of the refrig as per their instructions. The Good Neighbor Phamacy chain provides the bottles for this purpose.

Jean

We just had a news story to say that a 66 year old man and his 94 year old mother were found dead by police 2-3 WEEKS after they had died in a house in one of the inner suburbs in Sydney. He had hit his head in the bathroom , the result of a fall. She had died in the bedroom, probably of starvation.

Folks this is in one of the friendliest countries in the world and it took their neighbours three weeks to know something was wrong!

If you live in a built-up area, or a remote one makes not a jot of difference if you don't have a plan where someone checks on you from time to time.

Sorry to post something so gruesome, but it is a warning to us all.

Sue.

Emergency care plan... What a great idea!

I don't live alone but I am alone most of the day. My mother and I usually phone each other at least everyday. My mother is the type of person who will drive over if I don't answer the phone at different times of the day so i consider myself well surrounded. I have great neighbours across the street who are retired and available should I need assistance. My husband has a pager with him at all times. And should I get barricaded in my office I have a network of 4000 stroke survivors I can alert. I am not a caregiver but I think we have things about covered. LOL

best,

Pat Good-Post.gifHelp.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Update - a social worker friend of mine who works in respite care said caregivers should keep a book or card system so that someone else taking over in an emergency situation (like when you are unconscious, or rushed to hospital) would know all relevant details like medication, doctors, level of swallowing, special needs etc.

Do you have a diary or book that you could use to note down such information?

I once went to take care of the wife of an old friend in an emergency ( he broke his ankle!) couldn't even find where her tablets were, she didn't know when she took them. Luckily I found them all and read the labels!!.

Sue.

Since my first response to this subject I have had to do a lot of digging around to find a caregiver other than myself in case of an emergency..I am going to have surgery on Tuesday and have had to arange for someone to come and take care of us both/ now I have became the needy one too..

I am having a battle with my galbladder, sometimes I feel like it is wining.. Had all of the tests and yes I have stones, but my Gastro doc said that it is functioning normal, so no surgery for now. My fear is that if I should have an attack and need transport to the hospital, I will be in a pickle trying to find someone for my husband..

Sure I have a agency listed but that could become expensive..Whom can you try and reach if it happens in the middle of the night..Will they be able to come in time so that he won't be alone..

Those questions I will be asking of them on Monday when they come to introduce the caregiver that will be assisting with my husband's care for a 24hr period.

My dilema is that my girls live outside of the US, one hour away in BC. Their phone numbers are listed but even I can't get through to them right away. It goes to the message center..Not very reliable as emergency numbers..But I will take what I can get for now..

The low cost respite care that the is funded by the state is ok, but their policy is that another person has to be in the home with my husband. What is the poing of having a respite worker come if I have to hunt for another person to watch over them, redundant if you ask me..If I could find someone to stay with him, then I wouldn't need anybody else.. dry.gif

This subject has actually made me feel very sad, frightened and alone..Even though my family and his are close by, they are not close enough to be actually designated as emergency contacts..It is a such a desolate feeling of helplessness.. sad.gif

Take care

Angie

• 4 months later...
Thanks so much for the wake-up call. I've just completed a somewhat complete emergency care plan - at least it's a start. Denial only goes so far. I think we all have to come to terms that we aren't above an accident, or illness that could prove devastating without proper preparation. At this point at least I've made a beginning!

This is surely a wake up call for the majority of us. Thanks for posting. As a side note, if you carry a cell phone is to type the words ICE (in case of emergency) into your contact or address list. Then list the names and phone numbers of people to contact in case of emergency. EMS and emergency responders are trained to look for this on your cell phones, at least in my area. You may want to check in your area also. Again thank you for posting this wake up call.

Hank :rolleyes:

Today at my request we had a visit from our Stroke Team Occupational Therapist who put Ray through the PROCESS of finding a number of a family member and dialing it. He didn't get it right the first time but did the second. On a mock up of calling an ambulance he didn't know the nearest cross street, distance from the next suburb etc so she is going to type up a sheet and send it to us with some suggestions.

As my mother, in the early stages of dementia, left my Dad on the floor all night because she couldn't dial 000 which is our emergency number I am anxious that Ray be able to call for an ambulance in an emergency and give them the information they need to find our house as quickly as possible.

The OT suggested I also get him in the habit of dialing the numbers of family and friends and passing on brief messages. That way he should be able to do it in an emergency to give them the information they need to find me in hospital.

Hope this helps you.

Sue.

Guest HostLinda

Hi Everyone,

Last week on April 11th I had to have shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff.. The thing that scared me the most was,,What do I do IF I have to spend the night in the hospital.. See I have been Mike(hubby) care giver for little over 5 r's now.. Everyone said oh do not worry he will be fine But that did not help I was worried.. So we asked our sons g/f to come and stay here at our house with our sons.. Our sons both work full time.. While I had the surgery on the 11th of April.. The drs could not do the nerve block in my neck so I was in SO much pain they Could Not control the pain,the nurse's called the dr and told them what was happening and I should spend the night.... Mike's sister told me later that when they told me that I had to stay I started to shake my head back and forth on not to stay... but I guess it was for the best.. I did call Mike about 10:30 that night to see if he was ok..Yes we are glad I stayed... Mike is doing all he can do to help me due to one arm is in a sling for another 4 weeks.. We Are Helping Eachother.... God Bless..

Host Linda

Archived