Pregnancy

markus29

I know you all can' give medical advice but I was hoping for some more input. I know there is a risk just with the age of 40 but is there a risk of being pregnant after stroke? I am only 4 months post stroke. What about some of the meds I am on are those a concern?? I won't do anything until I know for sure and I will talk to the doctors but would appreciate once again anybody's stories who may have been thru this.

Thank you for all the responses I have gotten in the past from the questions I have had.

P.S. This was VERY unexpected

Dear Ruth make sure you contact a "high risk" OB doctor.

You will need extra appointments and tests to monitor your drug levels and fetal growth.

Make sure you take a list of all your medications and dosages.

Make an appointment right away and make sure you have a history or your medical records from your neurologist and primary care sent ahead for review.

Best wishes Bonnie

Ok first off I want to thank all of you who responded. I went to my doctor on Tuesday the 24th and it is official. I am about 4-5 weeks pregnant. They took me off the Lipitor as your choesterol goes wacky over the next few months. They will let me know on 2-10 if I will need to do the Lovenox shots or not. I just need to get by the 10week point and then I will be much happier as I am still a bit in shock. All in all the doctor is more concerned about my age than the stroke but it still is in the back of my mind that something could happen but I guess you could go thru life wondering the same thing.

Again thanks for your input.

HI!

My mom had her last child @ age 42, but she was healthy & had not had a stroke! :blah_blah:

My personal opinion, I would not want to bring into the world, a beautiful child that I "may" not be able to care for, just isn't fair, but I would talk with my doctor to ensure this does not occur as he'll know protections & options better than me -

Good luck - :happydance:

June, from CT

Having worked in high risk OB office for many years, it in not uncommon to have moms over 36.

People are establishing careers, second marriages, etc. So age doesn't seem to be so much of a factor anymore.

A stroke or any illness can strike at any time of life and to anyone...(as we have all seen) Being aware that you have had a stroke the doctors will keep a closer watch on you and the baby.

But babies are born every day to peple with health problems and addictions.

Best wishes Ruthie

Bonnie

I just want to make something very clear. June my deficits are very minimal and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that I can take care of this child. BELIEVE me we have thought very carefully about this. I also know it is not the childs fault that I got pregnant and I wold NEVER terminate as a birth control method. I also know that ANYTHING can happen during a pregnancy that would alter that I may not be able to take care of this child as well as I could right now but then my stroke has nothing to with that as it could also happen to someone very healthy who has never had a stroke.

Bonnie thanks for your advice also. I am sure they will watch me very carefully and I will do EVERYTHING in MY power to take care of myself. And trust me daddy is watching me like a hawk also.

Congrats to you! I had to have a hysterectomy @ 38 then had my stroke @39 guess that was good for me, but If I were in your shoes I would do the same thing. Even with my deficits it bwould be way too tempting. Modern medicine and good doctor's care will see you through it all.

Don't Worry...Be Happy..

Another Ruth

:thumbs up: Go for it Ruth. You will be in my prayers. I could never abort a baby either. You are going to do a great job having this child. Keep us posted on everything. :You-Rock:

Have I got fuzzy memory? Didn't Patricia Neal have another baby after her stroke and that must have been in the 60's or 70's???I agree it would be high risk just with age alone but I'd take super care and watch my blood pressure and stuff like that. See if there is some stroke doc who can talk preg. or obgyne who can talk stroke??

CONGRATULATION!!!!!! :Clap-Hands:

I am soooooo happy for you!!! Keep your doctors close and your body healthy and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Having kids over 40 these days isn't the risk it used to be, and if your doctors have given you the OK you should be fine.

I am trying to conceive at the moment but we have had to go through IVF. I am 2 and a half years post stroke and the doctors don't see any problem. I'm off all meds except half an aspirin a day, and they said that I should be able to stay on that right through to the end because it is such a small dose.

As far as disabilities goes, I have spent alot of time talking to people about coping, and the one thing I hear the most is that there are a alot of Mums out there in worse situation than me, so there is no reason why I shouldn't cope. Its like everything else we do, if one way doesn't work you will find another way.

I met one lady here also who had a baby after her stroke, and she said that her little girl just knew what she could and couldn't do and as she got older helped her compensate. Like me she lost half her sight so her little girl became her eyes on her blind side.

I can't tell you how excited I am for you.

Take care

Sue :gleam:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep you posted I went to the doctor yesterday and we saw the heartbeat. Unfortunately we are a bit less along than we thought so we couldn't hear it yet. I have an appointment on the 23rd with a high risk OB just to get a 2nd opinion and so my regular OB is on the same page as what needs to be done. They will be the ones letting me know if I will go on Lovenox or not. The stroke is not the only risk here as I have Factor Five Leiden but I have also had 3 other children with no problems. All I know is this one is under very close watch and will have lots of pictures taken even before it is born. LOL

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I have lost the baby. I want to make sure that anyone who reads this understands that it was not due to the stroke. Women loose babies everyday due to miscarriage and the most likely cause was a chromazoneal problem. A womans body has a strange way of taking care of problems and this is just one of the ways. I have always been a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and this is one of them. I just wanted to thank all of you for your support.

Sorry to hear of your miscarriage, and it is very true. Now with pregnancy tests showing pregnancy positive so early. Before miscarriages happened and we didn't even realize we were pregnant.

Miscarriages happen for many reasons, and often because the fetus would not have developed properly. Kind of natures way of "housekeeping"

Sounds like you are doing okay, and "things happen for a reason"

Best Wishes to you and thank you for sharing, we are here for you

Bonnie

Archived