He's coming home

caringfor5

Hello everyone,

Well he is home. I'm overjoyed at times and scared out of my mind at times and frustrated at times. One thing is for sure nothing is easy. From getting the doctors appointments, therapies, transportation anything has been one big hassle. The rehab hospital has been no help at all and I don't know if thats because we decided to bring him home or if they just generally are not helpful. Its to the point that his care manager has actually been rude to us and the Doctor keeps calling his dad who doesn't even live near us to ask him questions about how everything's going. Now I know that they would normally be calling to check things but they are calling the wrong person. Why don't they call me considering I'm the one who is caring for him. Not only that but they asked why his Mom (who is POA) wasn't there to sign the documents this morning when I took him for his INR blood draw. HMMMMM could it be because she won't sign off on the POA but she doesn't want to care for him either. OK, I'm venting, I know. I knew that it wouldn't be easy but I feel like everyone is making an already stressful time even more stressful. And to top it all off, I think I was completely wrong when I thought that if Mike came home he would be more motivated.....he's not. I'm actually having a hard time getting him to do anything, from wearing his splints to doing range of motion, I'm hoping that this is just because of the change in routine but I'm afraid it may be that he got his way. So now I feel like I have the weight of the world on my back because I have his parents on me all the time and the doctors and feel like I can't even take him to his appointments without getting the third degree from both. So I feel like if anything goes wrong I'll have his family and the doctors both saying I told you so.

Tina

Tina, it would appear his Mom is setting you up for failure on purpose. Have you discussed with your b/f the POA being put in your name? My Mom signed over POA to me after her stroke even though she has severe aphasia and can be hard to understand she was deemed competent enough to do that. You are really going to need that POA for alot of things as you are already finding out. I know how overwhelming caregiving is so just pace yourself as best you can and take it one day at a time. It's really all you can do in this circumstance. Mom was not a GOOD patient and she still gives me trouble nine months after coming home at times but it's worth it. I'm positive she would have never recovered in a nursing home and have been told as much by her Home Health aids, nurses and doctors. All you can do is your best and you MUST take time to care for yourself as well. You can do nobody any good if you end up in the hospital too.

Kristina

Archived