Your First Week or Two After Your Stroke

When you want to realize how far you have come since your stroke, just think back to those first few weeks.

1) I fell off the commode a couple times, could not do the paper work myself.

2) I fell out of the shower chair.

3) I missed transferring from my chair to the bed.

4) I tried to get out of bed at night and fell.

5) I could not open anything on my tray of food or barely feed myself.

6) I could not walk and my leg spasm was so bad, I thought it was trying to get out of bed and leave me.

Considering then and now, 2 years later, I can see the progress made. So, I won't be like I was before the stroke, but much better from my first two weeks after my stroke.

Did anybody else have these problems during their first couple of weeks in the hospital? If so, look back and see how far you have traveled since those days. When you think about it, you can smile and feel good about where you are now. We know now it takes time to heal and become somewhat independent It's a long slow road, but we can make the trip in due time by staying with a positive outlook and attitude for recovery.

This is so very true. I get very frustrated trying to get things to work correctly but you are so right. Thinking back to two years ago for me, today is much better. I still want to get better than this though, I guess that's what keeps us trying.

Thanks for your thoughts, this was great.

Al'an

• 1 month later...

My memory is really foggy around the time of the stroke - I remember being doped up on morphine & 3 weeks later being released from the hospital with the wheelchair from that stinky place.

I have a clearer head now & no longer use the wheelchair - woo hoo, you are right, that *did* make me feel better! :big_grin:

I was in an induced coma for 6 week in ICU, but when i came around i was in a general ward for a few weeks before moving to Rehab, then the fun and games started. i could feed myself but needed help to tranfer between the bed, wheelchair and also to the shower chair in the mornings. the first couple of weeks in rehab i needed 3 people to help me walk. after 4 months and 20kg lighter i got released from hospital.

luckally i didn't fall and since being home i can now walk using a cane with assistance. i just hope i can get over this foot drop and clonus. and get mobile again. the best part of it all is that i haven't put on any weight.

Guest veggie.vampire

What a great attitude, I do try to compare myself to the first few weeks after my stroke but often find myself comparing how I was pre-stroke. I'm a perfectionist and impatient and of course comparing to pre-stroke I don't measure up. The only plus is I think this drives me on.

Diane

What a great reminder of how far I have come since then! I too am a perfectionist and the two strokes have made me realize what is important and what is not in quite a short amount of time. I strive to do better each day, but don't let the little things bother me anymore as I learned a great lesson the minute I was in the hospital from the first stroke. Thanks for this as it is a good thing to look back and see what differences there are. I too want to have especially my energy prestroke but realize my pace will be a lot less, but better than it was when I first had the stroke. I think everyone can say what a difference time has made!

:cloud9:

Archived