Frustrated, Tired, and feeling helpless; among other things.

First, my wife had a stroke Aug 05 due to a clot on her left side. She has Spina Bifida, and was in a wheelchair before her stroke.

I have one question I need answered. Her belly has swollen considerably. She isn't having regular movements. Her doctor doesn't seem to be terribly worried; but we are! She was a little big before the stroke, but not terribly so. She looks like she is pregnant with twins! She is not pregnant to the best of my knowledge. (Her Spina Bifida prevents sex). Is this normal after a stroke?

I can not transfer her to a toilet because of the way our bathroom is laid out. We rent, and can not remodel even if we could afford to.

That is the frustration part.

Lately, I find I am getting more tired everyday. I'm afraid I will collapse soon; but I can't allow myself to do that since there is no backup. Closest family is 350 miles away, and none of the able have been willing to help.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Jcleaver,

I'd love to answer your one question, however, I don't have any idea about that sort of situation for women. I would call the doctor or go into the ER at the hospital. They got all the equipment needed and medical knowledge to make the determination correctly.

That's the safest thing to do and be sure whats going on to cause the increase in stomach size. Don't sit there and be frustrated to a point of collapsing. Like you say, there is no backup to do what you do for her.

Other family 350 miles away is 5 hours travel by car. Can you alert a neighbor in your area or make sure she can dial 911 in case you can't for what ever reason.

Sorry I can't help you but I don't think her stroke is causing the problem and you say she isn't having regular movements. What do you mean?

Jcleaver,

I'm with Fred, the safest and wisest thing to do would be either take here to the Er or a different doctor if her doc isn't concered, take care of yourself too if something were to happen to you she would be up the creek without a paddle

God Bless,

Tom

Yes I would definately check with the neurologist, one of the questions she asked me, was there any change in my bathroom habits. Brain damage can affect the muscles and nerves controlling bowel movements. I would also ask about her diet.. maybe to prevent foods that cause gas or constipation.

Bonnie

I get the tired and ready to collapse comment. I have been taking care of my mom for 1.5 years who is now quadraplegic and I have a 3 year old and twin 5 year olds. Being a caretaker is a never ending job. Some days I literally feel like I have to kick myself out of bed. On thurs. I told my mom I was taking a personal day. I only did what I had to and I sat on the couch (felt terribly guilty) andn watched tv. I am always tired. I have help only on the weekends, but I usually don't sleep on Fri cause my system is all out of wack from getting up every 2 hours to turn her during the week that I just can't get in the rythym or I worry if they are waking up with her. Does your wife nap? My mom doesn't but I am told that is a great time to get rest if they do.

As fas as the stomach goes, if she is not regular that can make her belly bloated. My mom went for 3 weeks w/o haveing a bowel movement after the stroke and the doctors and nurses also were not concerned. When they moved her to the rehab hospital she was impacted and the nurse literally had to help pull it out. She was in so much pain. Sorry if that grosses anyone out. They put my mom on senocot (over the counter stool softner), ducolax suppositories (over the counter) and a liquid called colace (prescription) to help her with her bowel movements. I still have to give her the suppository every other day to make her go she doesn't on her own. That really helped and it helped her feel better. Is she in pain? Can she use a bed pan or does she wear diapers. My mom is in diapers. It was hard cleaning her the first time but I made myself jump right in and we try to make a joke about it. Thank god she has a good sense of humor about it. I am sure it is humiliating. She has handled it better than I ever thought she could.

Hang in there and take any opportunity to rest that you can.

The rehab center she went to also put her on those same things; the senakot, colace, etc. It does produce some, but I don't think it is working very well anymore. Sort of like her body is getting used to it. We did try stopping those for a short time and then starting them up again but to no avail. You aren't grossing me out! I have to do this all the time. She is using diapers. I am going to insist to her doctor that she get checked out with a GI test. At least that may answer some of our concerns.

I work fulltime. I have to in order to keep living in a dwelling. I am lucky in many respects as she is able to do quite a bit for herself. It's mainly that she insists on going to bed at a certain time which prevents me from getting enough sleep since my commute is over an hour long into work. I have to get up at 4:30 AM to make my train. I am not able to get to bed until 10:30 or 11:00 PM. I get approximately 3 hours a week to myself when she goes to church choir practice.

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully we will find out for sure what is going on soon.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. We finally went to the ER about her belly. It had swollen even more. What they found was a very large tumor. It wasn't her bowels at all. The size is about the size of 2 bowling balls. She is having surgery on Monday, and I pray all will go well.

This is on top of her Powerchair breaking last weekend after only 3 1/2 months.

Oh well, just another speedbump in the road of life.

Hi,

I hope your wife and you are both doing okay. It is upsetting when the doctors don't seem concerned but you know something is wrong. I hope she is doing well. Please take care of yourself as well as your health is important also. It doesn't sound as though you are getting near enough rest. Is it possible to gradually change your schedule around so you can get to bed earlier so it would work for both of you? Going on little sleep is not healthy either.

What did the reg doctor say when you found out what was the real problem? You and she knows her better than anyone, and if you think there is a problem always be safe than sorry. Glad you got her help and let us know how she is doing as well as how you are doing as it is as much or more on you. Take care and hope all is going well :cloud9:

• ksmith pinned this topic