stroke support groups

i aam a 5 month survivor out of hospital 3 monthsi have been seeing a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety since i stroked but now my family is pushing me to go to a stroke support group i feel they should come with me to get some insight they're going through all this tooi'm not one to open up to new people but i thinnk it might help does anyone go to one of these? do they help?

kensethchic17,

I go to a support group every now and then, everyone else there really seems to think it helps them, however the only benefit I've seen for me is hearing about new types of therapy, I should say that I am the only member there under the age of 70, and I'm 34, so other than the stroke I have very little in common with these people.

God Bless,

Tom

i ATTENDED a support group with my mother. I thought it was great, she did not. So, we only went that one time. I think it depends on the type of person you are as to whether or not it would do you good. But try it, what have you got to lose ???? An hour of your time ?

Dorrie

Julie,

I go to a local support group on the last Tuesday of each month. It's ran and conducted by the rehab department from the Hospital where I did my 3 months. It's held at a large church in their fellowship hall. Every one brings goodies for refreshments. It last about one and a half hours.

Each month is a different presenter with various topics for survivors or caregivers. Sometimes they break down into survivor and caregiver groups. They cover about every subject concerning strokes and recovery in every aspect.

They call it the Stroke Family Network. Usually, there are about 20 or so attending at all times. They help, cause so many of them have no idea what they should be doing to get better or what's currently going on in their world. They just got discharged from hospitals and everything stopped. Like Tom said, most of them are senior citizens.

The group we have here is far more informative and cover many more subjects plus chat live. Then again it's world wide so there are more people and input. I'm told that in most cities stroke groups are hard to get organized. Nobody want to attend or try anything new.

thanks all i did end up going to a group last night and laerne d of a new treatment soon to be on market dealing wth robotics and brain impules looks hopefukl myomo.com is the company i hope it works for people. oh ans dad buckedf up and went too gives me hope he's at least trying to be more supportive

Tom was saying he went to a group where he was the only one under 70, that must have been a special meeting for the younger stroke survivors. Some time ago i posted my experiences in rehab and since the average age was 80+ and everything was geared to that age group then i felt as though i could have done more and quicker.

The same with the support groups, there is on paper a young stroke group but guess what - IT HAS NEVER MET BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUPPORT

Hi There :)

I have to admit I was just like you, very private, I wasn't comfortable with sharing my personal things with others and strangers at that. Then after about a year I went to one as an "observer". I was happily suprised. I sat in the back and didn't say anything, but other people expressed just what I was thinking and the problems I was having. It was acctually a relief that others were going thru the same thing. Not that I found out a solution to everything I was going thru but just the fact that other people were going thru the same thing. Having a stroke can be a very isolating experience. A support group can open things up for you again. Just try one and see if you're ready. You may suprise yourself. Good Luck:) Maggie

I get a lot of support here, even when I'm just reading and not participating in posts. I have learned a lot, and it has given me strength to continue when the struggles grew too great. I don't have access to a local support group, but if I did, I would probably at least try it in addition. I think the more sources of support we have available, the better. I'm glad you gave it a try.

Janie

Yes, stroke support groups have problems getting people to go. I go every month except summer when there is none. One woman mentioned we needed more so we are rtying to get together on our own as friends and go to eat, go to events, perhaps two will go to a gym etc. I'll have to keep everyone posted on how we do - but maybe seeing each other away from the rehab will get those who won't come interested and they will start to come. This is not an instead of but an additional from a different standpoint (social).

Guest hostsimon

i used to attend a stroke group, but it was pretty pants, so i dont bother anymore! it was unorganised & it

was full of moaners.........so i binned it! :giggle:

:Hi:

I have always felt the need to go to a support group and meet fellow survivors. But where I live in Scotland there are none, apart from one Chest Heart & Stroke survivor group that meet up and thats for folks over 65 plus I did attend this group and it did help give me some understanding but it was not really suiting to myself as I was 11 when I stroked and 28 now. I did come away with some things from the support group in that we are all survivors and I found that talking to other people regardless of sex age religion ect is that we all share the same thing and have a general understanding.

My mum also when I stroked all those years back wanted to attend a group to help her understand what it was like for me but sadly there was nothing then and still is not much help available now, she just worked with my doctor came to Physio sessions OT sessions all the time and tried to understand and we somehow got through it

Because of the lack of support groups available I stuck it out with my doctor and therapist. There is now a group that I am involved with it's Momentum Scotland who work with adults whom survived brain injury/head injury.

I think that there is lots to get from support groups it just depends on yourself and what you are looking for. I would like to say that if you to go to any, try not to go with to many expectations :nuhuh: as you can become deflaited if its not what you needed or expected. You need to try one group at least to see what its like.

One last thing I want to say and I realise I been saying alot :roflmao: Is that in my experience you got the best support group right here on Strokenetwork, its jam packed with survivors caregivers whom all share the same understanding of stroke and its effects. I have adopted strokenetwork as my family and log on every day possible to read post /add replies/ but the best fun is to be hasd in the chat room. I have found this support group to be the best for me especially as there are none really in my area. Keep us updated if you attened a group and let us know how you get on. :friends:

Archived