ITB therapy

Hey everyone!

I'm back, I had my pump implanted on Monday, the surgery took about 4 hours and went well, When I woke up Tuesday morning most if not all of the tone in my leg was gone, and I could feel a considerable reduction of tone in my arm as well :Clap-Hands: , my doctor inserted the catheter as high in my spine as he could to get some reduction in the arm as well :party: , the only bad things I can report are both of the incision sites are pretty painful, one in the abdomen, and one in the back :(, but I'm happy with the tradeoff a little pain that vicodin will control, for less tone.We will see how it goes in the future and I'll keep those interested updated on here.

God Bless,

Tom

Tom So glad that things are working out for you :Clap-Hands:

Seems like the pain is worth putting up with it, seeing as it is decresing your muscle tone which must be such a relief for you. Do you have any routine exercises to follow up from the impantation???? What were you told to expect. Sorry that you are in discomfort :( but happy that it looks like things shall get better for you. I wish you well in your recovery and keep us posted :chat:

Marnie,

As far as routine exercises after the pump implantation, no I was not given anything new I was told to continue with the same routine that I was on before going on the pump, basically just make sure I keep my muscles stretched out, and moving the best I can.

God Bless,

Tom

i

Tom,

I hope it all works to relieve you of the tone you had. That same tone I got arm and leg. I take 10mg tabs 3X a day of Baclofen. I am super stiff with tone. One doc changed me to Methocarbamol to replace Baclonfen but it's for spasms.

How big is the pump? Good luck!

Fred,

The pump is sort of oval shaped and probably 3 inches in diameter by 1 inch thick, you can see what it looks like and read the details of it at Medtronics website.

God Bless,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Im very glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you already have reduced tone, must be nice. Ive been dealing with it for four years now, at least not so much in my leg but in my hand mostly so I really don't feel that Iam a candidate. I wrote you an e-mail regarding the saeboflex, did you or did you not go to the saebo clinic about a year ago? I thought that you wrote a comment about how you were able to pick up one of their balls after they took it off, Are you able to now? Or do I have the wrong Tom, forgive me if I do. Anyway I still can't pick up the exercise ball on my own but I can place it into my hand which is opened almost enough just not quite enough yet. and I started over a year ago with mine. The saebo people are supposed to be coming out in August so hopefully I can get some clues as to what exercises I should be concentrating on.

Any way I wish you great success with the baclophen pump, keep well, Penny :friends:

Penny,

I am working with the saeboflex too, but I have never been able to pick the balls up without the saebo on.

God Bless,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I started seeing a new Dr, where I'm not seeing the results I was, and he recommended trying the baclophen pump.

Tom,

I heard you had your pump installed. How is it going? Do you have general spasticity? I have about 60% spasticity (rigidity and tone) - most of my back, trunk, one leg and one arm. Did it help your back/trunk? Was it paid by your insurance? My insurance denied the test trial and procedure and I will have a different insurance in July.

Terry

Terry,

Yes I've seen a dramatic reduction in tone in my trunk and leg and a significant reduction in my arm, :Clap-Hands: Between Medicare and my secondary insurance my pump should be covered.

God Bless,

Tom

• 1 month later...

the bachlophen pump is a miricle in tiself but I just watched a presentation on it a the hospital I am doing my internship and although I was impressed I became somewhat skepital. The pump is great for those with severe clonus and spacticity. I watch a video of a woman who was severely contracted because of her spcticity annd within hours of recieving the pump she was walking like she had never had the stroke. BUT, when she developed resistance to the Bachlophen she returned to the clonus state she was in in the beguining. Periodically she has do go on a drug holiday until she can go back on the Bachlophen. She has also developed diabetes due to an infection caused by the implanted pump. This is where i became skeptical of the device because the infections can have severe consequences. I think people who get the pump she ask their doctors about the infection rate after they have the pump inserted. Like a stated earlier for those who have severe spacticity the pump would be worth the risks especially if it could relieve the spacticity and relieve the pain caused by the spacticity.

Archived