Cognitive Therapy

Hey I stroked in Oct. 2005. Almost all my deficits are cognitive. I don't even have a "Cognitive Therapist" if there is such a thing. I have a Speach Therapist but no speech problems. She tries to give me cognitive exercises. I have had about all the word search and simple card games I can take. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do to rehabilitage my coginitive skills? What ideas are out there for things I can do.

In addition to the things mentioned above, cognative therapies can also include things designed to work on short term memory and listening issues, if you have them. My husband does a lot of this sort of thing with his speech therapies and it's helps a lot.

I'm sure there are other methods but the one they use the most works like this: They give him 2, 3 and 4 part instructions to do things involving objects on a table top and he has to remember the instructions long enough to perform the task ten times in a row before they can kick it up a notch. A typical three part instruction would be: pick up the hamburger (they use plastic food) and put it on top of the cup, then throw the spoon on the floor and hand me the ink pen. To make it even harder the objects are covered up while the instructions are read.

Jean

I play mahjongg. I have 2 different Cd s of Mahjongg one is by E games and is the variety pack.. around 10.00 at Target or Walmart. I like the Egyptian Version.. you can start with simple puzzles and work your way up. Also Scrabble and you can set it to easy, intermediate or hard. Hoyle has a board game Cd that has dominoes, chinese checkers, checker and chess these also levels of play..

Bonnie

• 1 month later...

Another great post!

Bill will be evaluated by a neuropsychologist this week in preparation for therapy for cognitive issues. The speech therapist is the individual who will do the actual work with him - but I've gotten some very good ideas for working with him at home on this issue.

He has also just begun using Aracept - since his neurologist feels this is an excellent drug to use with stroke survivors with severe cognitive deficits - especially those who's impulsive and reasoning skills are deteriorating.

Hopefully between more therapy and the medication we will be able to get back on track.

Thanks again everybody!

I have been scheduled for evaluation by nueropsychologist twice. Once she canceled and the other time I had to because the testing takes 8 hours. I cannot usually focus for more than a half hour without getting very sick. I think she is going to break the testing into smaller units for me.

My wife got me some puzzle books. They have the kinds that the therapists started me on. I find that if I can look at a puzzle and come up with a strategy to work with is quickly I do pretty good. I may not get the answer but I can work with it. If I don't see a strategy quickly it is like my mind just stays blank no matter what I do. Wierd huh!

Since I find that reading books and news paper is one thing I can do I play little games as I read. I read for a bit then try to remember what I read. I find that I am reading slower now than I used to. I don't mind though I think that over time my retention may even better than before I became a stroker.

Hi, AJ,

We recently subscribed to "The Curious Mind" online. Their newsletter contains articles and exercises that are new and different. They change with each new issue and they offer print books as well.

You can view a sample before making the commitment to subscribe:

http://www.thecuriousmind.com/

Another thing we are thinking of is the new Nintendo game "Brain Age". Will get in touch if we decide to take that up.

Rosie

Hi A.J.,

I can reccommend playing the many versions of Mahjong that you can easily download on the web. There is a game called Pipeline that is great for strategizing. Reading the newspaper and trying to remember details of articles you read helps too. If you can get neuropsychology from your OT , you will certainly be better off than with out any at all.

My mind felt like mush for months after my stroke and I read very few books for the first year of my stroke. The newspaper was easier because articles were shorter and required a minimum of concentration when well written. Editorials were a bit more challenging but now they are what I enjoy the most.

good luck and use what works.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

:Cheers: Majong has been a lifesaver for me! It also requires planning and seeing the patterns (even when it looks like there are none, they are there). Often I will come to only 4 or 5 sets of tiles only to realize that I am going to be left with a pair that is stacked ontop of itself. I do the puzzle again and figure out what tiles I need to change. I will play a game 3 times then, even if I don't get it, I move on. If that one isn't successful, I stop the games for that day. Truthfully, there are some days my brain works better than others.

To help my cognitive healing, I enrolled in a Journaling, Memoir writing class for "mature" learners. this cuts the pressure and is much less stressful. For me, I can't work effectively in a stressful situation any more so this class allows for the more relaxed atmosphere. I think that even if you aren't old enough for the mature (55+) learning group, the journaling and/or memior writing is also inherently more relaxed than other types of writing.

Taking this class has helped me find out that I am still a writer! I used to be one but after strokes, fibromyalgia, etc. didn't think I had the cognitive ability to do it anymore. I was so wrong! Besides it is fun and you meet people who have interesting stories, etc, etc.

I know your tired of doing this, but don't give up! Being stubborn is an underrated characteristic - so - be stubborn :i_did_it!: in your quest to regain your cognitive function.

I celebrate your strength!

Linnie58

There is an on line cognative therapy program called Parrot Software. http://www.parrotsoftware.com It's fairly simple, I called the company to ask if they offered anything more challenging, and was told it becomes progressively more difficult as you move through the levels. I didn't continue with it as I was in a cog remediation program at my rehab hospital. I also do a lot of word games and puzzles. Good Luck

I just bought for myself the Nintendo game and device called Brain Age. It works in steps to increase your cognitive functions. Fun for me. It might be frustrating for one with small motor issues but give it a shot. My husband plays Texas hold'em on playstation. Almost seems additive.

Ann0525

Archived