NESS H200

Hi, I've not posted on this board for maybe 2 years so forgive me if I'm not welcome but I used to be a regular visitor and I was one of the first members :)

Has anyone heard of the NESS H200, or maybe had experience of it? I'm from the UK and it's only available in the States, Israel and Netherlands.

I'm interested in it and would like to find out more about it, so any useful information about it would be much appreciated.

Thank you :wub2:

My mother just a prescription for it, and will probably be trying it in the next week or so.

They just did a report on it on the news here in the NY area. It sounds really good, but insurance here does not cover the cost of the machine for at home use. However, the insurance will cover the cost to use it in rehab, so my mother will try it, and see if it's worth buying. I will be reporting on it as soon as she begins it's use. In the meantime, check out www. saeboflex.com

The saeboflex helped her tremendously.

Dorrie

• 2 weeks later...

VIV,

A follow up on your post April 21 about the ness h200. In the latest copy of the stroke connection magazine, May/Jun, they have a big advertisement. Web site, www.bionessinc.com, probably can call or log on for prices. It seem easy to use at home and no electrodes to hook up like some of the other devices.

It could be covered by some insurances and Medicare for us here in the US, sooner or later. Let us know what you think about it if you connect with them.

Dorrie,

if your mom has started using it in rehab, let us know what you think about it's potential of helping the hand. :scooter:

Guest lwisman

Remember if a product is advertised they are paying for the advert. This means you do have to pay for the magazine, in the case of Stroke Connection. This does not mean you cannot use the info, but remember it does not mean that it is endorsed by the magazine which features it.

Scooterman

I have checked out the website and it doesn't tell me very much, I checked it out before my first post and e mailed them, that's how I found out that that it's available in the Netherlands. I've got the phone number of the office in the Netherlands but before I gave them a ring I thought I would do some research but I haven't been able to find out a lot about it. In theory it sounds great but I don't want to waste $1000's on a pipe dream :(

VIV,

All the machines and procedures will probably help some people some of the times. Like you say, the price they ask for their equipment is expensive when you don't know if it will help you or not. The average survivor just don't have that kind of money to invest, not knowing if they will benefit or not.

I think that's why most of the neurology doctors say it is not going to help. I guess the doctors feel if they sign the papers saying you medically need it and they prescribe it, they may get stuck with a malpractice suit when it doesn't help you at all. Just my thoughts!

Scooterman

You are so right!! I have Botox injections for my tone in my right arm and hand, I don't think they do any good, I used to pay privately for them hoping they would be a miracle cure, but nothing. They used to cost me

Scooterman,

My mother tried the Bioness on WEdnesday at Kessler's Rehab in NJ (Kessler's is very reknowned for it's rehab with stroke patients). Basically we were very UNIMPRESSED.

Firstly, the 2 therapists who were helping my mother said that they were more impressed with the SAEBO. After seeing all that my mother could do, they were even more impressed with the SAEBO (my mother has been using the SAEBO for well over 1 year). The SAEBO, the therapists told us, has won a couple of awards.

The Bioness, has a problem with the battery. It did not hold the charge with my mother, and one of the therapists said she had that problem with one of her patients.

Additionally, these 2 therapists were very concerned that the BIONESS was NOT covered by most insurance companies, including MEDICARE, and since SAEBO was covered, they were steering their patients to go for the SAEBO.

So basically, I wouldn't spend the $$$ for the Bioness, but if your insurance company covers it, go ahead, otherwise try the SAEBO.

Dorrie

Thanks Lyn, VIV, and Dorrie, I think we are all back to square one with therapies, treatments and new machines advertised to be the cure for stroke survivors. The cost is out of sight too. Even the Botox, HBOT, the Accupuncture are all expensive and not guaranteed to help even a little.

The machines success rate is no better either for the prices they charge you. I guess we are left with regular OT and PT as our best options for the money. Even that can and should be updated to become more effective for most survivors. Good luck in your choosings. :yadayada:

Im not sure where you're getting your information, but Btx has like 100 studies showing it reduces spasticity, and the bioness has like 10. saebo has 1, HBOT has none in people who had stroke more than months ago (there was actually an article that came out on this in december), and acupuncture has a couple. And studies have shown that regular PT and OT have a negligible impact on function.

I think we can all agree that the hard part is (a) getting appropriate, good care from a knowledgeable doctor and (b) having someone who knows how to match the right technique with the right patient. seems like every therapist has a different opinion on this based not on necessarily what's best for the patient, but their training. This has been our experience with therapist and doctors and it seems like others'...its a merry go round!

I was reading about the various treatments, and when I have more time, I will start a new thread. I've mentioned this before, but it is worth mentioning again.

I am left-side affected, in a wheelchair. I can walk, minimally, but I have regained range of motion and mobiility that I never thought I would, in both my arm and leg. I have pretty severe spasticity, especially in the evening or at night, or if I am stressed, or trying to do to much physically.

First, my husband gives me deep muscle massage - he finds the pressure points that cause the spasticity to relax. It is in a different place at different times, and can be on the right side, rather than the left - surprisingly. Then, I use a TENS unit - which are electrodes placed strategically to relieve pain and stimulate the nerves. It relaxes the tense muscles.

I'll write more about it, later. It has helped me - at least as well as what I am reading about some of these other things, for a lot less money, and no Botox.

Blessings,

Hera

Archived