wearing AFO

I went out for the first time with shorts on and the afo this weekend. I was afraid everyone would stare but no one really even noticed. I really don't think it looks that bad after all. I must admit though I am having a party today and I am in my capri pants b/c I don't want to answer questions about the afo and what it is for etc.

I saw an interesting story this a.m. about a female soldier that lost her arm in Iraq and she was very self conscience about it and said that women with war wounds do everything they can to hide them and make a large effort to look "pretty" and "normal" while the men tend to show off these wounds and display their prosthetic limbs with pride. An interesting story that I can relate to.

:( Sorry, but my bleed was in 1985 and I can NOT walk with out it, so I realize it is heavy and not fashionable , but if it will make you more ambulatory, then wear it, but if do not have to wear one, by all means don't

June, a survivor since 1985

Guest bessy

hi laura its me BESSY :big_grin: i only wear my AFO on weekends when i go out and about otherwise it sits in the place where i shove it until i do go out otherwise i dont wear mine at night haven't had it on during the day for about 1yr now i find thatas long as i keep my left foot planted flat on the ground in good to go i use my hemmi can for support these daysi even shuffle around my living room minus my afo the ? is do you have a hard plastic one or themealleg brace my first brace was the awful heavy metal 1till i went to mari and joy rehab in wheaton illfor my pt in fact they got me to the point that i nolongerused a afo just my hemmi cane :Clap-Hands: i have littl trick that i have foundout that work out to my benefit if you need som hints please contact me threwstroke net and i can pass my little tricks on to you if you wishor can talk some more in :chat:

BESSY :big_grin:

Archived