deficits to the head

• Founder and Owner

My left ear almost constantly rings and I know I have reduced hearing in this ear. I only chew on the right side of my mouth because I don't have very good movement of my tongue on the left side of my mouth. The left side of my mouth is much weaker than the right. It doesn't really droop but unless I smile reflexively it is definitely lower and I think looks weird.

It's strange to think about it but I guess the whole left side of my head was much more disabled. Does anybody know how this could have happened? Does anybody else have damage to just one side of their head, like this? :Ask:

hello there,

i suffered a brainstem stroke over 3 years ago, the right side of my body and left side of my face is affected including my eye and ear so you are not alone. The reason is that the nerves cross over in the brainstem area or at least that is what my physio reckons

Mike

Steve,

I also have these issues, I chew on the right side in my mouth, and on the occasions when I do chew on both sides it seems like I accidently bite the inside of my left cheek(ouch), my smile also looks kinda weird, the left side does not move up as much as the right <_< .

God Bless,

Tom

Guest veggie.vampire

I have no idea as to why but like many have a lopsided smile. Not allowed other than puree really but few times I've chewed (I stop if I think I won't manage, we're not so irresponsible as it sounds) I've also chewed on the good side. With me good side is left, and right cheek in danger of being bitten. Don't have your hearing problems. Strangely since not being able to talk my hearing is really acute.

Guest lwisman

I was told by my doctors I have facial problems because I had a massive bleed. There was so much blood that it did damage.

I have right side paralysis -- 24/7 numbness. Feels a bit like the entire side of my face is being pulled in. My forehead is also affected. The feeling does change. This is not pain, but is constant. I have learned to ignore it. I have had acupuncture on that side of my face. It helps, but does not solve the problem.

The paralysis means that my voice is totally different than prestroke. I am also sometimes difficult to understand. This is especially true if I'm tired. Talking on the phone can be particularly difficult. When speaking face to face there are visual clues. These don't exist on the phone.

I do not hear out of my right ear at all. This causes problems if the noise is coming to that ear or if there is a lot of background noise. I also do not hear as well at the end of the day. I can easily tell this, because if I turn on the TV in the morning, it is too loud. I have increased the volume at night.

I do not chew on my right side. I can chew on that side, but cannot feel food if it falls (which it off does) between gums and side of mouth. I also sometimes chew the cheek. I try every once in a while to chew on the right, but so far no luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:)

Yup, I can only chew on the left side or things get stuck and there hard to get unstuck. My eyebrows aren't level anymore so that looks kinda weird. Whistling is impossible. I don't have any trouble hearing but drinking is tough. It's gotten alot better but I'm not sure it will ever be quite right. But it's only been 2 and a half yrs so maybe, you never know..... Take Care --Maggie

Steve,

My husbands right side paralysis affected all aspects of his head - face, tongue, swallowing on that side. When he stuck his tongue out, after his stroke, it was crooked, and always leaned toward the weak side. He daily did a lot of exercises to get his facial muscles to work again. His face has a pretty significant droop when he is tired and he still chokes easily.

-Karen

I have peripheral vision loss on both sides, I do drive but use my mirrors a lot, I do not drive in big cities. I also get "hot" and sweat easily, the Dr. said the stroke took out part of my "temperature" control. If it's chilly outside my left foot gets cold and hurts quite easily.

I notice a change in my hearing... I will often hear a different word than what is said.

I also chew mainly on the good side..

I have total paralysis on the RT side; constant tinnitus in the RT ear with a moderate hearing loss; my RT eye never closed properly and the muscles didn't work either; no tear production, so the lids were sewn together permanently; LT eye has nystagmus and stops at the center, (Or midline) when I try and gaze to the right; when I breath, the RT side of my nose doesn't work; I have to chew on the LT side of my mouth; TMJ on the RT; and no temperature or pain sensation on the entire LT side. (And when I lay on my RT side I tend to drool! :dribble: )

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve

Most of us with brainstem infact will have paralysis of our facial muscles. One side of our face is usually affected more than the other depending upon which side of the brainstem was infarcted first. There is usually a little variation.

An interesting problem can arise from brainstem strokes--Horner's Syndrome. One side of the face is paralysed and the eye pupil on that side stays dilated more than the other and that side of the face can't sweat! Wierd!

As others have said our temperature control is handy here so some can get strange problems with that. Sleep can be a problem because our sleep control lies in the middle of the spinal cord just below the brainstem. (I swear I don't think I slept for weeks after my stroke!). And our respiratory centre is dangerously close. (They weren't sure if I would ever be able to breath on my own.

Our balance is usually seriously screwed up, etc, etc, etc.

We are all unique and yet all similar!

Shawn

I also had a brain stem stroke and my rt side was afected. I had pitosis,closing of rt eye due to cranial nerve damage,but fortunately it regenerated and I only have slight vision impairment due to stroke. My balance and speach was also affected but is back to almost normal after 1 1/2 yrs. These physical deficits were difficult to live with but what is even more difficult is the invisible deficits,cognitive functioning that is impaired and most people do not understand invisible deficits beacuse they are not visible.

Archived