I Haven't Been Able to Drive Since the Stroke

I feel this way every time we get a new, (Used) car. I haven't been able to drive since having the stroke, (10+ years.) and I think I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today. We just purchased a nice vehicle, and I would think I'd be ecstatic; I'm not. :yadayada:

Susan

Susan

I am only 9 months out but I haven't been able to drive either because of my eyesite and YES I AM BUMMED!!!! I have to take the bus anyhere I ant to go during the day and hen it is 113 degrees out it SUCKS. I am hoping to be able to try driving atleast short distances soon but right now money is tight and I don't have insurance on my truck. So I kno EXACTLY hat you are saying. I hate being dependant on someone just to go to the grocery store or for that matter anywhere. I guess we can both be thankful that we are able to do the things we are able to do and not worry about the driving.

I have only driven a few times since my stroke. I'm able but I am scared to have a wreck and the car I hit sue me for driving with a stroke :unsure:

I have a perfectly good car waiting in the driveway.

My husband wants me to take a driving course but I'm scared I'll fail because Concentration is a big issue with me. I never used to be scared, but since the stroke.... :violin:

susan,

i started driving a month ago, after 4 months no drive. i dont have confusion, but very little right hand/wrist. everything is left handed. i cant even hardly put key in ignitiom with affected right hand, not to mention turning the key. it's not bad tho. good luck.

mike

I got two Thoughts on this subject and of course my own experience of driving after my stroke.

Susan:

You have been a member here since 2003, and over 10 years since your stroke so I'm sure you have read about other members, including myself, about starting to drive again after a stroke. Survivors are driving again as they feel safe to do so.

Feeling sorry for yourself is not the attitude to take. Knowing you drove before stroke and knowing you are physically able to meet the requirements now is enough incentive to go take your written and driving test in my opinion. That's what I did and others too.

It was 6 months for me, more or less time for some, but we are now driving and you can too. I don't know your prior experience, but with your husband's help, you can practice a little in a safe enviroment as some have posted about recently on the board. Be positive with your attitude as something you need to start doing again.

Ruth:

Being in Phoenix and not much traffic in some parts of the city, you should be able to get your eyes corrected to a safe vision to meet driving with corrected lenses. Get tested and you are on the road again.

Just west of town, Sun City and Luke AFB is plenty of roads to drive on to get the feeling again. Even, I-17 toward Black canyon range or out towards Camel Back mountain and the Police academy range is a good place to practice driving. If you know you are physically able then go for it. It took me 6 months and I came home wheelchair bound.

Sharon:

Don't be scared of failure, practice a little in a safe place until your concentration returns to the level you desire, take your test and you are on the road again. There has to be some part of your city you feel safe driving in. Don't keep a perfectly good car waiting in the driveway when you need to get to the store or shopping mall!

If you have driven in the past, you can drive again. You can learn to drive, be tested and get a license and insurance. Just my thoughts!!

Guest veggie.vampire

Sure I miss driving (18 months out), like I miss walking etc, but there's the broader picture. Physically it is not possible to drive yet but people are worse of than me. Glass is half full not half empty. I will improve (I am determined to) and most importantly I'm here! Thinking like that if you can't drive may help and if there's any possibility you can, fight for it.

Hi Susan, I do miss driving but somehow do not feel safe, I take taxi's most places I go.Or therapist assistants drive me to gym, pool, take taxi to and from golf. Considering I had accident that caused stroke

Kent

I'm driving a little now, it seemed my 2 biggest problems at first were making sure I had my seizures under control(which I do) (hope)then learning to get out of the driver's side of the car was a big problem. Then I had my husband to go w/me while I drove around on some back streets then gradually eased on out to the 4 lanes but I know I'm not ready for the busier places. Anxity kicks in, but so far my reflexes have been okay so grab some one to go with you and give it a try. Lord, its makes you feel like your 16 yrs. again..like Fred, I too, came home in a wheel chair and still use a cane to walk.(left side defect)...but if its what you really want to do give it your best shot...rose

Hi Susan,

Every stroke survivor should be retested by a lic. driving instructor or the DMV. In your state, their may be a medical facility which can evaluate your ability to drive and has a driver training program. In CT. we have a medical facility which evaluates your ability and reccomends any special devices the client needs.

Shayle

Following my stroke 28 months ago i haven't been able to drive, what the future holds for me is anybodies guess. After many years of driving a bomb we decided to bite the bullet and update. Then after 6 months i had this stroke, i haven't given up hope yet of not driving again. the part i miss is the freedom, now i have to rely on my wife and friends to drive other wise i would be stuck in these 4 walls. so never give up hope.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Unfortunately my vision precludes me from driving. I know many people with one "good" eye still drive; my problem is that my one good eye has nystagmus, and it's difficult for me to focus on anything while moving.

I'm in a much better frame of mind tonight. The :violin: is gone for now!

Thanks again,

Susan :)

I started driving when I felt comfortable, first around the quiet circle where I lived. It was about 3-4 months post stroke. Then, this April I had to renew my license. I had always done this online but found out that 3 onlines is the limit. Well, the eye test did me in. I could not see the 4 letters on the left. The rules for Florida is you have to see 130 degrees with your good eye and 20/40. I went to an opthamologist and he corrected with glasses for driving to 20/30. He insisted that I get a letter from the neurologist to make sure he was covered "if my foot slipped off the peddle. (I believe his chance of that is probably the same as mine. They just gave me my license - no tests with the stipulation of wearing glasses and mirrors which all cars now have.

Two problems for me. The glasses makes things larger and closer. Maybe they really are that close but wasn't a problem for 2+ years. When you look into your side mirror, it is larger anyway (at least with my make) so things really seem closer than they are and backing up is a sort of problem (I take several turns to have to get out of a parking space for fear of hitting the "close" cars on the other side). The other problem is the glass frames are "in the way when I have to turn right on an angle. (Left eye bad) So, I lift the glasses to get the view I need.

My problem was driving wasn't just a pleasure thing; I have to drive for the work I do.........a real bummer in case things get worse - and I'm moving to the country. Duh!

• 2 weeks later...

One day, while riding around with my husband, I looked at the oncoming traffic and imagined that I was driving and I had a panic attack, so that took care of my question about driving or not, the movement "both ways" and the speed is what frightened me, I recall. I want to drive so bad; just remembering how I used to just hop in the car and speed off to where ever I felt like going was such a treat. Now, as we all know, our trips to doctors aren't much of a thrill, are they?But, all- in -all, for what we all are going through, I think we're a pretty chipper group!We're making the best of a bad situation, right?Dreamweaver :Clap-Hands:

ASue - I stroked in 1985, and have to say not driving is the thing I miss most - I miss my independence, but as I did try, my eyes weren't sharp enough, so for safety of all, I decided not to drive, but thank God for taxis and friends who'll give rides, but you are right, there's nothing like just getting in the car and going on your time

Oh well, have a great weekend, and life goes on

June :cheer:

susan,

i started driving again about 3 months ago. i had my eyes checked and with my glasses they were 20/20 thank GOD, but the first time out i drove around the block - had a little trouble turning right but otherwise i was ok. i sort of felt like a new teenage driver. now, i can drive anywhere including expressways. my sense of direction has always been good, but now i notice that i feel more safe taking the same route wherever i'm going. backing into a parking space can be a little difficult sometimes, but i'm getting better as i go along. i'm 2-1/2 years post stroke. i think DETERMINATION plays a large part in recovery. you can do most things if you accept that you may fail the first 10000 times but what exhiliration when you can finally do it on that 10001 try. as i said before, i'm still waiting to be able to comb and style my hair - glad i got a brush though :yukyukyuk:

Not to hurt your feelings, but by now, after 10 yrs., you should have adapted to your loss,. I know cause its been 20 yrs. for me, I know its an awful loss, but get on with it and put your big girl panties on and just deal with it. You'll have less down days when you accept this matter of fact

June

P.S. sorry to have hurt your feelings :(

June,

My feelings aren't hurt; on the contrary! My mom has a favorite saying, "Take your thumb out of your mouth." She says that to anyone who may be feeling sorry for themselves. (She's 77, and had multiple minor strokes and TIA's.)

It is so important for us survivors to focus on what we do have and what we can do. I'll still have my down days; that's just part of it. :)

Susan :bungee:

Susan,

I remember when I first tried I had very little qurdnation and I would over react on the road, my mom would not ride with me. but I new I could do it so I kept tring with my dad. And eventually I regained the hang of it. Now,sum 32 years later I ride a 3 wheel Harley. My advise is get retrained by a profesional and dont quit! If it means a lot to you.

Foz

About 4 months before my strokes my wife and I bought our first new car. Our kids are 19 and 21 and have nicer cars than us. I loved it. It is a Honda Pilot. I felt like a rich guy driving it. I haven't been able to since I stroked in Sept. of 2005 though. My doctore did give me permission to drive around our neighborhood with my wife though. But he said I will have to take a certification program to drive on my own.

What I really hate about it is asking for rides. Nobody really minds but it is one more thing that makes me feel dependant.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest braz54

My hubsand is post 11 months and yesterday he said I want to try to drive. So we went out in the driveway and he backed up and down the driveway. He does not have use of the right arm and he did not have much trouble.. He backed out into the street and back into the driveway. It was awesome to see him behind the wheel. He was so happy.

He is not ready to go out in traffic, but this was a BIG Confidence booster for him. He knows his limits and this was the beginning.. We will pratice more and more

We had been talking about what if he can't drive a few months ago,I was trying to prepare him. We would of dealt with it even though I know he would of been sad..

Gail

Archived