going back to work

Amy E

Hi-

I am going back to work in 2 months and I have a need for something that will assist me in straightening stacks of papers( I read contracts that are 10-20 pages in lenghth.)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Amy,

you need to contact the office of vocational rehabilitation for your state and they can refer you for an assistive technology assessment, where someone can work with you to see what accomodations you will need to assist in your job, then based on the assistive technology recommendations, Vocational Rehabilitation will pay for these accomdations to help you get bck to work, I just returned to work myself afetr being off 2 1/2 years, and they paid for a little over $4,000 worth of accomendations for me.

God Bless & Good Luck!

Tom

Amy E, there is a company called "Active Forever" that has all kinds of aids to help people w/ disabilities. Can't say for sure but you might want to check it out and see if there's anything available for your situation. Below is the web site:

www.ActiveForever.com

Good luck on being able to return to your job, just take it a little easy at first.....rose

Amy,

Sounds like you are doing an office job at a desk. That being the case, there are in/out boxes, standard size and legal paper size you can use. These same size trays can be purchased from any office supply or Walmart.

If you need to keep each 10-20 page contract separate, there are wide spring like paper clips to use with one hand and the tray will hold many contracts stacked neatly in that manner.

I use one at my computer to stack and straighten a ream of copy paper after I attempt to fan the ends so it won't stick together in my printer.

• 1 month later...

I got the jiggly thing. It is called a paper jogger!

Next Friday is my first day and I am afraid. I am worried that I will feel uncomfortable and that I will get upset when people ask me what happened to me. I don't have a good "short" answer to explain it and it still brings tears to my eyes to talk about it.

Other than my fears, I think that going back will be great for me in many ways. Getting my mind working again and seeing my old friends, not to mention getting out the house every day(which is a little scary too).

Wish me luck!

Next Friday is my first day and I am afraid.

Remembers going back to school in again. :blush:

Yes, it will feel wired after 2+ years. I did it when I lost my hand at work (16 years ago). It was so wierd. By after the week, it will be like writing a bike. It is scarring but by the end it will help you so better.

Good luck and let us know.

:)

Bill

Hi Amy,

Next Friday is my first day and I am afraid. I am worried that I will feel uncomfortable and that I will get upset when people ask me what happened to me.

Do not be afraid. Are you going to a new place or one where you were known. The thing to do is decide now what to say if asked. Make it simple. If you had an operation, you would say just that. Simple would be to simply say, Oh, I had a stroke; it's so good to get back. If said mater-of-factly, no one would ask anything, but if they do, a good answer would be - it was an interesting experience. No one will give you the 5th degree and ask for details. If you make light of it, then they'll think that it wasn't so bad and leave it at that.

Actually, I went back to work but in a different area (275 miles away) so no one ever knew me. NO ONE has ever asked me a question. They may ask how I'm feeling just as they ask anyone else, but I could be missing the clip entirely when trying to hang papers and all I may hear is being asked if I need help (which I refuse) or "I'll do that" if I'm having a difficult time, I may take the help and say thank you. My problem is co-ordination, so it's quite obvious that something is wrong with me, but no one has ever said why can't you do that or something to that effect.

You'll see it will be just fine. Don't stress over it; that won't help you.

Good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you ! Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it !

I went back to work after 6 months, fearing that everything would have changed - especially everyones attitude toward me, but I was wrong to doubt. Everyone treated me as before (with a little bit of holding doors open etc.), which was what I wanted and needed. Two years down the track and I'm settled in and really happy.

I'm sure you will be too, but allow a little time to settle in, and don't do too much - gradually is the word.

Craig.

Don't be afraid.. I know easier said than done.... I was afraid at first when I went our alone. I started with small stores and tried for times i knew should be slower.. and I knew where the doors were located so i could get out quick if i needed to.

I am not able to return to my job.. I sometimes go to my husbands shop and help out some. That way if I get frustrated/ready to cry or tired I can go to an office or outside. He used to keep a recliner in his office so I could take naps.

If I make a mistake or something... I just say oh a little brain damage and I laugh....

I have/ do tell people I had a stroke. I want people to be aware it can happen.. and yes not only to elderly people and not all strokes kill ... there are different types and degrees of strokes.

I only answwer questions, or start a conversation if someone is interested, I dont make a big deal of it.

A lot of times I just oh, oops sorry.. You'll do GREAT, and the more you do your job, the more comfortble you will get.

Yes a paper jogger..... I did look for the name on it.. and then when I thought of answering. I forgot the name of it again....lol (stroke moment)

Congrats on getting back to work! I hope all is going well. I agree with some of the earlier comments about taking it slow and working into the routine.

I have been going into the office now for three years and I have gotten along very well. I am a bit like Bonnie complete with recliner for naps when needed. LOL

People do sense that there is a disibility and some even ask if I am a stroke survivor, However they usually compliment me on how well I am doing and then carry on business as usual.

I use the computer to do invoicing and the telephone to do collecting.

I routinely spend one day a week in the office and on occation two or three depending on the need and how I feel.

Again all the best to you,

Smiles :)

Gary

hi amy, everyone has given you great advice, i know how scary it can be, when i tried to go back to work, i felt embarrased, and as soon as all of the department heads came in to welcome me back, i broke down crying (embarrasing) but that was due to my stroke. dont worry, it will be fine, its normal to feel that way, you have been thru a life changing event. good luck and keep smiling. that will help. kimmie

Thank you all for the words of encouragement!

Work has been great, I am enjoying the responsibilities and seeing my friends more regularly.

They are installing handicap accessible doors for me. There are a lot of heavy doors to open and I struggle w/ one hand and slow movement through the doors.

I am walking around very confidently w/out the cane and I am still going to OT & PT once per week.

I have had a few terrible comments but I am chalking that up to the other persons ignorance and I am not letting it get me down.

Archived