Motorized scooters

Guest NoriB

I'm starting to look for a transportable electric scooter for my 63-year old husband who had a stroke 14 months ago. He does not have feeling or much function in his right hand and arm. He can walk very slowly with a sidestepper walker or quad cane, but his right leg has little sensation or mobility.

Any suggestions how best to go about finding a suitable scooter would be appreciated. I was thinking of using a scooter company that takes care of insurance requests, physician's reports, etc. We cannot afford to buy a scooter outright and find out later if insurance will pay for it or not.

Any experience with buying used scooters? They are certainly cheaper, but I'd need to know what to buy before looking into used scooters.

Are transportable scooters (come apart, carry them down steps, into the trunk of your car) actually portable? I plan to have companies bring demo models, and also visit scooter dealers, but first hand info would be a big help! I feel like I'm shopping for a car. Thanks!

NoriB

All I can say is be careful as I had a THREE WHEEL scooter that flipped me over and broke my collar bone, but get a note from your doctor, this way the insurance will pay for 80%

GOOD LUCK

June

P.S. As I use one hand and am 61, try to get a sturdy, 4 wheel scooter - they don't tip as much and are more stable than the 3-wheel

TRY THE SCOOTER STORE - they'll help you get it for almost nothing :2cents:

Good morning NoriB,

Welcome aboard and glad to see you posting. Hope you enjoy the site, use the different Forums, and learn more about stroke recovery and caregiving.

I'll be happy to give you my experience in using scooters for the pass two years. Of course it could/can be different for each user and their ability to use one.

I'm no expert rider/user, but it has served my purpose well and I use it at work every day. My favorite transportable is Invacare Zoom 220. There are many others on the market. It breaks down into 4 parts, goes in/out the trunk with one hand.

Mine stays in the trunk, I don't use it in the house. I walk with a quad cane real slow and not very far so I need it from parking lot to inside ALL buildings. I don't use it on the streets, I drive, left side affected from brain bleed massive stroke, but I'm doing alright.

My insurance paid, but I had a co pay. Then, I have another one, bigger, heavier that I have a lift installed to load/unload in another vehicle (SUV).

If you need/want more info, PM me, I'll give you my contact info. :scooter:

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the information! I still believe a scooter for outside use would be beneficial for my husband, but he has recently decided that since he started walking a little better, he won't need the scooter at all. I think he sees the scooter not as an enhancement, but some admission of failure to walk as well as he can. He won't let me build a ramp either, for the same reason, that he will walk one day and not need it.

Meanwhile, he can walk half a block at a snail's pace before getting too tired. I guess I can't talk him into anything, but I hope he may see the advantages of better mobility to cover longer distances so he can get around. I can certainly see the advantage of my not having to push his manual wheelchair everywhere!

Guest cindy1947

Nori, I am also in the same search right now. Our Dr. put in an order for one and our co-pay is 1,000.00 of which we don't have so that is out for now. I spoke to rascal scooters and they have the same deal, Insurance pays 80 I pay 20. They told me the scooter store sells used/reconditioned ones, I have not called them yet. One company said they do rentals but is getting back to me with a price. I am going to check with his VA Dr on Monday to see if they can get one for him. I want it for the same reasons , so he can get around outside and go more places. Good luck in your hunt, if you hear of a good deal let me know.........

:( Yes, I am 100% paralyzed, left side and tried out a 3-wheel scooter - BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER

Only having 3 wheels, it tipped me over and broke my collar bone!

I highly reccomend the 4wheel scooters, but NOT the 3-wheel ones - he'll need more balance

GOOD LUCK

June :blush: :2cents:

HI NORIB,

MY DAUGHTER WALKS SLOW WITH HER QUAD CANE AND USES REGULAR WHEEL CHAIR FOR LONG DISTANCE. OUR THERAPISTS WERE AGAINST RACHEL GETTING SCOOTER, BECAUSE THEY WANT HER TO WALK WHENEVER POSSIBLE. THEY SAID SHE WOULD GET ATTACHED TO THE SCOOTER. I KNOW ALL PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT, AND SOME NEED THE SCOOTER. CHECK WITH THE DOCTOR AND SEE WHAT THEY RECOMMEND. THE THERAPISTS RECOMMEND A LOT OF WHAT YOU NEED ALSO.

I also was told not to use a scooter but to concentrate on walking, in the rehab centre walking with the physio was easy, walking alone was not so easy so after falling over a few times i ignored their advice. I bought my scooters, yes two, from Ebay. The first is a Batricar which is battery driven but has a working radius of only 8 miles, 16 miles on a single charge, it has a tiller for steering and a switch for reverse so is ideal for stroke survivors and because my balance is no good i can swing in using the roof. The second one, also through Ebay is a rare petrol driven job made by Everest and Jennings which has a 2 gallon tank and does at least 50 miles pere gallon so can go anywhere. The engine size is 11cc and has 3 forward gears and 1 reverse but is restricted to 4 mph in 2nd and 8mph in top.

Mike

Nori,

We bought my husband, Gary's, first scooter from an ad in the newspaper under medical supplies - it was a Jazzy made by Pride Mobility. It worked great for about a year, then the controls went out and it would have cost as much to fix it as we paid for it to begin with. We've been without for several months and I finally found another exactly like it on craigslist. The couple we purchased it from had only used it a few times and then when they got their van with lift, it wasn't compatible to wheeling to the front for her to see over the dash, so they got a different one. It's been sitting in their garage for a long time and they finally decided to sell it. I've been told that if we waited for medicare, we'd still end up paying about $1000 co-pay so I picked this one up for $1100.

If you want to look for a used scooter, you might want to try www.oodle.com and click on the city nearest where you live, and then type in electric scooter or electric wheelchair, and you can see where to find ads of used scooters available in your area. That's how I found the one on craigslist. I had previously purchased one on ebay that was a lemon, and had a difficult time getting my money refunded when I returned it, so I'm real hesitant to use ebay again.

Good luck in your search.

Sarah

For those who want to go the walk route, but can't go too far, consider a rollator. I used one and then started to push it a little ahead and walk up to it. This helped me to learn to walk without any aid.''I do ocassionally take it "for a walk" when very tired and dog has to go out. Sometimes too when I go to street fairs, home shows and places like that where there is a lot of walking,

Before purchasing one, push a cart in the supermarket. If you feel secure with that, the rollator will be even better because it has hand brakes and a seat you can use when tired.

Phyllis

Wanted to add about rollators. They are much better engineered than shopping cart. That is they do not wobble as shopping carts do. I got one because at the time I was walking with two canes and was frustrated that I could not carry things. My rollator has a basket. That means I can carry things at home and can use it as a shopping cart in the store.

It is also very obvious that you have a walking problem. I find I get run into less and the rollator is great to hold onto if I do get run into. I agree with Phyllis that trying a shopping cart will give you an idea if a rollator would work for you.

• 2 weeks later...

This site shows a scooter that will negotiate steps:

http://www.ibotnow.com/ibot/vaintro.html?f...valueadd160x600

:( Let me be upfront with you here as I had bought a 3 wheel scooter, and upon trying to use it, it threw me out into the street, breaking my collar bone!!! :(

I highly recommend the FOUR WHEEL SCOOTERS, but NOT the THREE WHEEL ONES & be sure to get a seat or lap belt -

These scooters work, but can be dangerous!

June

Archived