Went for a walk and it felt great.

SteveH

Today, after almost a year I took my first walk around the block in my neighborhood, though I had to use my cane, and it felt great, well not so much really as I was exhausted. It feels good to have some endurance back though, I wish I could do it without the cane, but I guess its a start. Steve H. :Clap-Hands:

Guest lwisman

When I first started walking I counted steps. I began with 10 and added 5 then 10 each day until I could walk around a circle in the park which was close to us at the time. Then I switched to time. Adding more time as I could. I now take an hour walk in the neighborhood most mornings.

Stick with it. Your endurance will increase. Walking outside really helped me. It is much more interesting than walking around the house.

GREAT START. I COULD HARDLY GET AROUND AT FIRST. I'VE WALKED THROUGH ALL THE PARKS AT DISNEYWORLD AND THEN SOME. I CAN WALK WITHOUT A CANE, BUT PREFER TO KEEP IT WITH ME FOR BALANCE, JUST IN CASE. BESIDES, WITH A CANE, PEOPLE OPEN DOORS FOR ME AND I GET ACROSS STREETS QUICKER AND SAFER.

MARTY :big_grin:

:hug: Steve,

How great it must feel to walk around the block! :cheer: Great accomplishment! :cheer: Keep up the good work!

Hi Steve

Congratulations!!! What a great milestone. I can remember my first walk on the hikeing trail at about the same post stroke period. 3/4 mile out and 3/4 mile back.

Well I do (like Lin) count my steps and sometimes make it all the way to 1000 while waiting for my ride in front of our building.

Like Marty I still use my cane on longer walks and around crowds. (great attention getter)

Walk every day that you can cus it will strengthen your leg. About the fatigue, I found that it is best to do little bits and rest. (this old bod is not what it used to be....pre stroke LOL)

My best to you Steve...

Smiles :)

Gary

Congrats, I remember how excited i was to start walking with a walker, I then went to a cane. It feels so good to get out and wakl.

Completing a walk around the block is a BIG DEAL...

you will get strength and endurance back with practice, some days are better than others. Just remember when you start to get tired, turn around so you can get back home..

Congrats Steve!!!

Walking outside is really awesome. I too started with a cane and always said "I will get rid of the cane by ..."

Well what can I say, it's now 5 years and some and I gave up the cane in July - will I use it again - probably, but for now it sits at the front door just in case I need it.

Keep walking and enjoy your neighborhood. Soon you will have the stamina to go even further!

Cindy

• 2 months later...

Congratulations, Steve. What a sense of freedom and renewal it must be. I know, how we sometimes take these simple joys for granted and then we must fight to experience them again. The average non-stroke individual wouldn't understand that feeling.

GREAT!!!

-Joe

steve, that is great news, do you walk by yourself or is someone with you? i have wanted so badly to get to that point, but i am afraid to walk by myself. my one leg has a mind of its own sometimes. i live on a cul de sac, so just getting around that would be great if i could get up the nerve, i feel like i could do it. anyway keep up the great work. keep pushing forward. kimmie

Great news, keep up the good work. i'm not far from achieving my goal of being able to walk arouind without assistance. so your achievement gives me further encouragement.

:Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands:

THAT IS SO GREAT! You make me have confidence that in the future I can do it too. I used to walk almost everyday about 2 miles before my stroke. There's a steep hill that my 9 year old daughter & I used to race up all the time when we were walking. After my stroke, she asked me if I would ever be able to race her again. I still cry when I think about it. I am only walking about a 1/4 mile or less & not every day, because I just don't always feel like it. You give me hope!...Melissa

Well today my hubby took me to my dental appointment and then out to dinner. He was delighted as I hate to leave home. In the middle of dinner I started crying....so ruined it for him big time. I was crying because my condition always feels worse when I am in the public eye

I walk with a cane very slowly and when I get upset my arm and hand shakes. God how I hate this. I know it could be worse so I just want to stay home. He doesn't understand it as he enjoys and is not embarrassed as I am. What a trying time I give him. I was always the caregiver and did everything. Now I feel like such a useless pain for him.

Congrats on enjoying your walk

hugs

:Clap-Hands: That's the way to go Steve . I started with a half block and that was hard now a year and 3 months later I can go 5 blocks with AFO and about 3 without. The cane I got rid of it totally after about 6 months. You are making great progress Keep up the great work

Laura

Hey everyone, I have a lot of confidence in walking now, though I still need my AFO and cane, but I feel great just getting out, I watch every little step I take, and I have to rest a lot, But I can feel everything getting better and better and the strenght in my leg must be getting there too, though I can't feel it yet. Well, take care, and get out there to. Steve H. :Clap-Hands: :big_grin:

Archived