weather conditions and stroke

Mema

I have been having a lot of difficulty with my walking the past week. The only thing that is different is the change in our weather. A cool front moved in and we are getting some rain. My caregiver and I think this has affected my leg. Does anyone else notice differences when the weather changes, especially when it turns cooler?

Vi

My muscles become much more spastic in the cold weather. They tighten up and as a result my walking is very difficult. I think it is normal since you tend to tighten your muscles normally as a response to the cold(shivering).

I plan on dressing very warm this winter.

I find that when it's cold parts of my affected leg are like icebergs especially under the calf muscle, sole of my foot. it's not till i'm in bed and warm before it warms up, i also find that i tense up, just wish that i could get more feeling in my leg. i also place a hot water bottle next to my calf when in watching TV of a night, it seams to help a little.

• 2 weeks later...

YES Vi, when it gets cold and damp, I tend to stiffen up. The cold weather is especially hard on me. Have to use a cane to help me walk, my pace is s-l-o-w and my left hand will 'clench' into a fist, and NOTHING will pry my fingers loose until my hand warms up. Yes I do wear a glove but it doesn't seem to help much. Just difficult to get glove off of a semi-clenched fist.

I went shopping for groceries with my wife. Came out of the store, holding onto the shooping cart. It WAS cold out and when we got to the van, she told me to get in so I WOULDN'T get too cold. I had to explain that the shopping cart WOULDN'T fit in the front seat with me. YEP, left hand had a 'death grip' on the handle. Took us half an hour to 'pry' my fingers off the cart handle. BOY did we get the stupidest looks. SO WHAT ?? Peggy and I had a good laugh and the cold weather KEPT the perishables cold.

Now, BEFORE we come out of the store, Peggy makes me take my left hand off the shopping cart handle. But I found it hard to push the cart AND use the cane with my right hand. Oh well, live and learn.

Denny

• 3 weeks later...

YES, YES, YES - here in Michigan it has gotten cold - even had a little snow and my affected side hip down to the bottom of my foot has been more painul and spastic. saw a neuro today she told me that i probably needed a splint on my foot - don't have foot drop but a tendency for my left foot to turn over on my ankle if i'm not concentrating. the spascicity is extreme at night. gotta get an mri and ct scan might have a disc problem in my back too that's helping cause pain. also, i have thalmic pain. only good news was that my blood pressure was good, blood work good, i can see 20/20 with my glasses. i told her i was a social drinker she said fine - so i guess i'll fix me a cocktail to celebrate being here. :cocktail:

Bottoms up! (LOL)

Would someone please send rain? A thnderstorm would be especiallly fine. I am tired of getting in my own way and trying not to break any dishes. That is the way I am affected from the weather. When weather is getting bad, for no reason, I become a bull in the china shop and walk drunk more than usual. Thank goodness it doesn't get too cold here orrain all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad to see this topic. I live in Alabama & we have had bad rain last night & today. I have felt worse. I felt weak in my left side and I just feel yucky...only way to put it. I noticed it about two weeks ago when we had another rainy spell. I was talking to my mom today & told her that I was noticing that I felt different in rainy weather.

• 1 month later...

After 15 years as a stroke survivor, I must say the weather or temerature affects the stroke side severely and takes a long time to warm up. Since my dear husband died, I just reach for as many pillows as I can find and line them up against me until the spastic episode goes away. It felt like a seizure coming on. Anyone know where there is a life sized teddy bear? Maybe it would snuggle too! HUGS, Jean in Texas

When I get cold, it affects my whole body. I naturally have achy joints when I get cold, and post-stroke, it is even worse, especially on my affected side. My CPS flares up more too.

It is cool and windy here today. I dare not go outside. I think when it is windy, it is even worse. I'll spend my time indoors and wait for better weather to venture outside in.

Bob

:head_hurts: Yes, for myself when the temperature drops and it does in the winter, my effected side tends to stiffen up slighty more than usual. My leg kind of gets and aching arthritic like pain and can cause me pain and discomfort

The only thing that I can do to ease such pain is to try to do musle stretches that the physio showed me once, which help to circulate the blood movement and eases of the stifness - I usually do these in the morning during the day when its hurting and before bed time as it can relax the musle tone and tightness. Other than that when the winter is really bad with snow ect I sometimes wear two socks on my effected foot - this actually works. :chat:

Archived