Confessed my son had several brainstem strokes in a car accident

Hello my my is Vicki,

I'm new to this message board. My son was in an accident 24 days ago. He suffered a few strokes in his brain stem that caused more brain damage. He was in a coma for 16 days. He woke up last friday and started to breath over the vent. The Nero- surgene told us us that he wouldn't get any better and that we should turn off the vent and save him from any more suffering. I don't want to let him go, but I don't want him to hate me for holding on to him if he can't get any better. This past week he started moving his eyes more I don't know if he can see me, but when the nurses come into the room to work on his IV's he'll shift his eyes to them and then back to me. I've been exercising his body for him, but he only moves when I tickel him. The doctors told me that it was only reflexes. Please if you have been through this or have a loved one your caring for and can help me through this I would be very thankful.

Worried Sick

Guest veggie.vampire

Hi, welcome, I had a massive brain stem stroke about 18 months ago. Doctors truely expected me to die and said if I lived I wouldn't get any better - I needed a trachy to breathe, was tube fed, on oxygen, could make no sound and could only blink. When life support went off it was an experiment, thank goodness I passed and carried on breathing. Well my doctors were wrong. I'm typing this with my left hand which now has a normal range. Soon I'm expected to stand independently, I already can with help. Can't say it's been easy but I am improving. No way would I have wanted anyone to give up on me. Your son really could surprise you yet, I did nothing but blink for 2 months. Good luck. Please bear in mind all strokes are different so no guarantees but definite hope. Feel free to pm for any support you need.

Guest lwisman

Hi Vicki,

Sorry to hear about your son. I had a brainstem stroke 9 years ago and my family was told I would probably not live. However, the brain scan indicated that my brain was working. This is an important question to know the answer to. If the brain is not functioning, then the person is brain dead. In that situation there is not a lot of hope for recovery.

Be sure to ask the doctors more questions.

HI,

I had a brainstem stroke in May of 1999. Initially doctors told my family I had no chance to survive and called them to the hospital to say goodbye to me. After I survived that day, the prognosis, best case was life in a nursing home bed-bound, so my family was told to scout nursing homes. I have experienced a full recovery, with some slight deficits... numbness on left side and a raspier voice than before the stroke. But that is all. I cannot tell you what damage your son has suffered, it very well could be severe as the post before mine counseled you to find the answer to. I will say this, when I suffered the stroke, for about a week the doctors kept me sedated, to help during the phase of brain swelling. When I woke up, when the sedation was removed, I could only blink my eyes. I was able to blink once for yes, and twice for no. Eventually, they would point at alphabet letters and i would blink to choose letters and spell out words. I was glad my spelling was pretty good. So, don't be hasty to give up. Error on the side of life and love. Doctors are not always right. I have found that medicine is indeed oftentimes an art and not a perfect science. Your son, your family, and you are in my prayers.

Dave

Hey Vicki,

Just another welcome to you. Your son had gone thru a big accident. I haven't been thru any of this except a stroke from a bleed. You have my prayers and my concern for you as his caregiver.

Don't give UP or IN until the medical evidence had been determined by ALL doctors including test to show his brain is dead and unrepairable.

Wait until they can show you his brain is dead, not just saying it is. I would like to know your son's age and if he was a passenger or the driver.

I'm so fearful of my grand kids having car wrecks no matter how much I stress defensive driving. They know I taught defensive driving for years and was the one allowing their father (my son) to begin his driving experience using my car.

Life altering accidents can happen to anybody at anytime, so remain by his side until you know all hope is gone. God Bless!!

Hi,

I am a nurse who had a brain stem stroke 2 yrs ago. I have fortunately no physical deficits,

but some neurological deficits that are not very noticeable.

As a nurse and as a survivor I am very happy to be alive. I am not able to return to working

but I cherish each day that I am here.

I would not give up hope this soon for y son. I have seen many changes occur in my 25 yrs as a

nurse that were positive in dealing with stroke patients. Find out details and results of test done for y

son on a daily basis. Keep a journal to see what improvements may be and to compare with previously.

pm me any time y like.

Take Care

lorrainellm

Lorraine

All the best for you and your family over this accident. Try to stay strong and give it time. I had a stroke (speech/language area) by a car accident about 17 months ago. I hit realy hard on my head as well as a bilateral dissection. I was lucky to live after that accident.

Stay strong

Bill

Hello,

I too had a brainstem bleed and whilst i would not say that life is easy it is a lot better than being dead, so do not pull the plug. The body has a tremendous ability to heal itself, all it needs is time. The fact that he is following you with his eyes is a start, next will come the other things and then you will have your son back.

Take care and talk to him, he can hear much more than you think

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vicki and :welcome: ,

My daughter who is 22 had a massive stroke on 2/17/06. We were told she probably wouldn't make it through the night, then that it didn't look good past a couple of days. Well, her we are 9 months later, and thankful for every minute.

I know everyones situation is different, but there is always hope. With your son following people in the room, it sounds hopeful. God Bless You as you and your family go through this difficult time. I will pray for patience and guidance for you.

Tina and Lisas,

I would like to also chat with both of you. Tina, my 38-year-old husband had a brainstem stroke on Aug.3 (just a few days after your son's). Contact me through my PM box.

Thanks,

Jen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your post giving out your email address and/or providing your personal contact information has been edited. This was done for privacy and security reasons. Our organization purposely masks this information about members in order to prevent spam and other abuses of personal information. Hope you understand. Please exchange contact information privately through your Personal Messanger. MBA: JR

Archived