taking a poll

HI Friends!

Since I am new to this new life as caregiver I have millions of questions and concerns. Bill will be coming home hopefully in about 3-4 months from the rehad center. I want to be prepared to make his life, and mine as easy and simple as possible. I am wondering if you all could help me to set things up...

If you could take a minute to write and tell us what single aid, piece of equipment or bit of advice helps you the most in your daily lives? You may have an idea the rest of us have not thought of.

Thanks!

Tina

Tina -

This month, I am 21 years post stroke, so I should be able to help -

First, and most important, continue to make him feel important, and encourage him being independent!! -

P. T. was good for me, as it taught me skills that I practice at home -

As a man, it will be important that Bill still be the head of the house, - he knows he has had a huge brain insult, and needs encouragement from you, his family and friends -

Lastly, whatever Bill was good at before his stroke, encourage him to rekindle it -

GOOD LUCK

June

Tina,

Has the rehab given you the 3 to 4 months time-table or are you guessing at that? I ask because a lot of newbie caregivers/significance others think rehab is going to keep a stroke survivor until they are fully functioning 99% again, which isn't true. In my husband's case the rehab goal was to get him to the point where he could transfer to and from the wheelchair on his own at which time they sent him home. I ask this question because in order for us to give an answer to your "device" question, it would be helpful to know where in the recovery process you think Bill will be at when he is released. If he comes home like my husband did in a wheelchair, then you may be making major chances to the house---ramps, wider doorways, revamping the bathroom, etc. If he comes home with a cane, you still might need the ramp if he can't do steps. Just before he is ready to leave rehab, they generally send an OT out to your house to make suggestions for what you'll need. It's a little too soon to decide on many of the various devices and bathroom accessories you might choose from.

Jean

I agree that we need more information on your husband's abilities and disabilities. I came home 14 months ago in a wheelchair. I am still in that wheelchair. Luckily, our house is one level with a wide hallway and the doors are wide enough to accommodate the WC. We had to add a deck with a ramp on the back of the house since I couldn't maneuver the two steps very well. We also replaced one of our toilet stools with a handicapped one and put a fold up bar next to it since it is not next to a wall. Other items I needed was a bath seat and a transfer pole next to my bed. So far I have been getting along pretty well. I am 73 and my husband is 74. Age is a factor.

I hope this info helps and good luck to you both as you begin your new life. It will be challenging, but this site will help you meet those challenges.

Vi

Guest lwisman

Tina,

Talk with his therapists. I know mine were very helpful with suggesting equipment which I needed. My insurance company paid for some of it.

Each stroke is different so it is difficult to say what the things are he will need.

Don't forget grab bars in the bathroom. For a man 2 are needed for the commode area and 1 ianeeded if there is a step in shower. If you are lucky, someonr at rehab may have a "secondary job" as a person who puts them in, builds ramps etc. Ask - or they may know someonr. In my case, my height was asked. Also be sure to get the hatch marked bars rather the the smooth. The smooth may look nicer but the hatch type give better grip.

Another simple thing is night lights in outlets near the floor.

Be sure towrite down suggestions so you can start looking if there isn't one person who can do it all. Just keep a small pad only for that. I've known caregivers who did this.

Lots of luck.

Phyllis

Guest veggie.vampire

I agree to talk to OTs. What's appropriate depends on deficits. I for example had a tracking hoist (over head hoist) as at that time I couldn't stand, even with help. One thing most stroke survivors benefit from is a "helping hand", long handled grabber to retrieve things if you are in a wheelchair, or avoid bending which might be tricky if walking. I use mine most days at least once.

hi tina, everyones comments has been right on, check with the therapists. if he has a swallowing deficit, be sure to have straws handy. i have to use them all the time. help to keep his mind busy. i used hand held games to help my cognative issues. welcome to this great web site, good luck and be patient. kimmie

gee, this is a tough one because there were so many important things, again without knowing his abilities its impossible to say but most rehab facilities will have an occupational therapist come to your home and evaluate it and make recommendations based on his abilities.So go that route first!

God Bless You both!

Tom

Before you spend a lot of money on your own making your home accessible, please check with any local organizations that you may be members of - i.e. American Legion, VFW, Moose or Elks Lodge. When we found out that Gary was going to be released from rehab, the American Legion sent volunteers to install a ramp, and help with the remodel of the bathroom. The Moose Lodge sent out drywallers and a painter to help with the bathroom remodel. None of this cost us a single dime - all materials and labor were donated.

One thing that has helped me the most, aside from all the obvious additions like bars and shower chair and bed rails was the gait belt. It is so much easier to help Gary with transfers using the belt around his chest - I wouldn't have a back left if I didn't have that gait belt. Since his balance is really bad and he lacks motor control, he cannot transfer to the toilet even with the use of a bar without assistance - the gait belt helps me to lower him to the toilet without putting my back out - he is 6'2" and I'm 5'4"

Sarah

Hi,

The people responding are hitting the target correctly, by saying everybody's disabilities are different, but this may sound silly. The best 2 dollars I have ever spent was on a long handled shoe horn. Of course, I have other things I use on a daily basis, but it was so cheap and has come in so handy.

Bob

• 1 month later...

the thing that has helped me the most i had straps -handles put on both the backand tefrot of my afo that makes it a lot easier to moe my leg aroufd and getting in and out of car by ones self tese have also come in handy for my care givers family i can now do stuffby my self as wher notto long ago i asd to depend on family not know more itsall me if need be can e mal you pic of the handles -straps placed on my afo jusyt let me know through my PM good luck bessy :Clap-Hands:

----------------------------------------

Your post giving out your email address and/or providing your personal contact information has been edited. This was done for privacy and security reasons. Our organization purposely masks this information about members in order to prevent spam and other abuses of personal information. Please exchange contact information privately through your Personal Messanger. MBA: JR

Archived