Sit Skiing Film - Must See Video!

jriva

Someone on this site mentioned they wish they could try skiing again post stroke. I found a great film of a wheelchair bound guy going down a mountain with a sit ski. I actually found several films of sit skiers but this is the longest and it shows the guy conquering a lot of difficult snow skiing challenges plus a few of his spills as well.

Jean

Jean -

Oh my gosh, this reminds me. When I was 25 years old I spend a season helping handicapped down-hill skiers. If anybody has questions about this sport, let me know. It was 25 years ago and the technology has likely changed a lot, but maybe I can answer a question or two.

-Karen

Karen

Have they been using the sit ski's that long? Do you know if there is any websites or written material available on how to learn to use the sit skis? I've never seen them before I found this film. Tipping over in a sit ski looks less dangerous than falling while using traditional skis.

By the way, I played this film several times before I figured out it has music with it if you have your speakers on. The jumps this guy does near the end of this film are awsome!!! I couldn't have done that back when I was skiiing.

Jean

Wow how I would love to do that!!

My youngest son was watching with me and he said it looked quite hard to do( he is a skier).

I guess you would have to have someone wth you in case you fell over.I was amazed he was able to get on to the ski tow....well not always succesfully.

Maybe I should enquire...it would have to be Europe....maybe Norway as hubby is working there at the moment. I will let you know if anything comes of it.

Its given me inspiartion..I will just have to work on the upper body and right arm strength.

Mary

Here is the organization I volunteered for - appears they are still going strong. I worked with people in sleds, rode up with them on the chair lift, and then using a tether system (seen in pictures in the link below) helped the skiers down the mountain. It was very very difficult to learn how to use the tether system, and not dump the skiers. We would have volunteers in the sleds, that would allow us to practice with them.... It was an awful feeling to cause the skier to fall over in the sled - however they always had a good attitude. And it was a blast. I could only volunteer one season because we moved after the first season and the drive was too much. It was a great experience. The guys that ride those mono-sleds have been doing it a long time, they are amazing.

http://www.challengealaska.org/skischool.html

Wow that looks fun I'd love to ski again, it feels like it has been forever, eventhough in reality its only been 6 years since I was on skis.Thanks for the video!

God Bless,

Tom

For more inspiration on adaptive skiing I found the profile page for 'sitski', the 42 year old guy who is in the video. He's posted 22 films that you can access through this link. At least I think you can access it. If not, maybe you need to be a 'You Tube' member to look at profile pages like you do here on this site.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sitski

Archived