ATTITUDE

My name is mud, had my brainstem stroke 14 months ago and i'm even more impatient than before my stroke. I seem to say things even though i know the other person is doing their best to help me to do something. Is this just me , or will i learn not to say anything, I don't seem to mad or depressed. Am taking prozac 40mg every day along with asperin [baby] and prilosec otc .

hi mud, my name is kimmie and i had a ischemic stroke in 2001 at 48 and i too am impatient due to my stroke and they say it will pass. my attitude sucks at times also and sometimes i say the wrong thing, which really makes me feel stupid, but these are all componets of a sroke, a stroke affects people differently but then there is alot of similarities also. i wish you well on your recovery and try to practice on calming yourself down as much as you can or you might need to change your meds, antidepressants also work differently on each person. god bless and try to smile as much as you can.

Hi Mud,

I think that we all have our ups and downs. Since my stroke last April, I can think of at least three seperate periods of time where I fluctuated up and down. Of course that was interspersed with some daily up and down feelings as well.

My level of frustration is much higher, post-stroke, no doubt about it. You have to remember that your brain was scrambled, and now there may be no such thing as what you used to call normal by your standards. I try to remember that every day. When I get agitated at someone or something, I have to do my best to say, this isn't the real me. I think you do that too, based on your post.

Those who have known me from my pre-stroke days, know that I don't mean to be mean. Those people who haven't, well, not much I can do but go back and apologize if I can.

Maybe you should check with your doctor to see if a change of medication may be in order, or whether you are getting some kind of drug interaction that is unexpected. Another factor may be rest. When I have my sleepless periods, I am definately more on edge.

I hope you are able to get to the crux of this soon. I am sure others here will chime in with some great advice.

Happy Holidays,

Bob

Hello mud

I get things like this also. I get impatient, anxiety etc...I'm that way because of my speech/language by my stroke. I also feel stupid at times because I say the wrong words. I met with a pscycologist and he is doing a treatment for 16 sessions to start. I was told if I don't get help I will getting worse. I was ok at the start but over time and dealing with my insurance I lost it (mentally).

I try to take it easy but it can be hard. I feel (try) to go slowly because i'm in no rush. I try to take it easy every day and try to smile. As kimmie say's, you may need to change/increase/decrease your meds. Talk to your doctor becuase there is no way to do this alone.

Take it easy mud

Bill

I get frustrated more easily, especially if tired. If there are too many things going on at once, I used to be able to tune things out or multi task. Now it takes reral concentration to do one thing. If i get distracted in the middle of a task, it takes real effort to get back to what I was doing and somtimes basically have to start over.

Even reading directions on a package.. like a cake mix I go over and over them.. I now try to set out everything I need and the approproate measuring cups... and move stuff i have used to another counter..

So far the thoughts are mainly in my head and I have had to bite my tongue or leave a room, but I have managed to keep control before the thought comes out... (for the most part)

Some people do lose some of the control and "words come out"

The receptors in the brain are scrwed up so we are not getting the seronotin or norephedrine (sp) across certain brain cells. You may speak to your Dr. your prozac dose is mid range and maybe he could increase it or try a different medication.

I think a lot of the frustration comes, because even though we have lost some memory and have problems with short term memory we do realize we did know how to do these things with out so much effort before. Thinking can make us tired now because we are trying to have undamaged brain cells do double duty and learn what the damaged ones did.

In Classic Posting in the forums is "A Letter From Your Brain" I think it helped me realize a lot.

Hi Mud,

I had a right-sided CVA from a clot. I was always stubborn in nature and at times impatient (which I always said I inherited from my Father lol). Post Stroke, I must consciously work on my patience and my temper.

There are times I think I transform into this beast of a person. For me, I put myself into time out; there are times when I also take a large slice of humble pie and apologize for my actions/words. Be sure to check with your doc though to be sure your meds are ok to interact. Hope you have a great holiday season.

Hey mud, (I like that nickname!)

I had a brainstem stroke almost 11 years ago and I STILL speak, laugh, cry, etc., at inappropriate times.

What's happened to you is a devastating thing. Give yourself time, and try not to beat yourself up; people are tougher than you think.

Take care,

Susan

Guest cindy1947

Although I'm a caregiver to my husband not the survivor but I'm glad I saw this post. Before my husband has his stroke he had a short fuse but now it's 100 times worse. He flies off into a rage over nothing. By reading these posts this morning at least I know it's normal. Though I don't like it. He is rude to the whole family and our friends that have been here for him the most. Someone stops by to see him and he's all smiles if it's just a casual visitor. I have almost had it with him. I am probably the most patient person in the world but am at the end of my rope with this. He is on Zolft 100 mg once a day. If I talk about having a physc come to talk to him he goes off again. When he gets mad at me he does wonders as movement goes. Yesterday he stood right up out of his chair and kept his balance. A FIRST !!!!!! Well, I don't want to ramble because it gets to sounding all the same but at least I know it's not just him ..........HAVE A NICE DAY

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this site. Now I know I'm not alone. I'm not one with much patience to start with, nut now sometimes I can't stand myself. I had a brainstem stroke in 2001 and it's a long hard fight just to get to this point. Knowing that I'm not alone means the world. Thanks everyone and I wish you all with coping with this hazard.

With faith maybe we can get over even this God bless you all. With every day I find more to be thankful for. Having every one here's support and input is a Godsend. If I can get my care giver to read this maybe I won't have to say I'm sorry so much. Well I'm rambiling now so good luck everyone.

Keith

Hi Keith, Welcome, glad you found us here. I felt the same way.

WOW I am not alone.. no I am not "crazy" others are dealing with the same type of issues.

At the top of the topic on the right is a little box with options.. you can print out the topic and answers. I have done this on several topics and taken in to my Dr.

Best Wishes to you, Bonnie

:( On the days that either I'm tired from not sleeping well or letting the million of little things I'm suppose to do, make me feel overwhelmed. I try to realize that either being tired or getting off regular exercise (like just walking) gets me down.

I at times feel like I am screwing up my kids because one has such a smart mouth (teen) but he blames it on me being the same way towards him. I am just so frustrated. My husband is gone all day and most of the evening and I don't know (but it seems) there is SO MUCH work for him to keep track of I try not to think he stays away because of me and the way I feel at times. I like to write and they say that more creative types are at times depressive and same thing goes for being a woman and stroker, so I'm really getting whopped..I hate this, I wish I could remember when I felt objective. I don't want to pass this on to my kids or have this be their predominant memory of growing up. I hate this and want to stop it...I just wish I could feel genuinely optimistic about my life and life in general. I have good days and bad ones...

I haven't worked in years and have no confidence to be able to do anything, that I could contribute. I feel useless and can just cook, wash clothes and even am nervous for driving with all the traffic due to a recent accident (not out fault) and I think it set me back to square one. Its like if I don't do something all the time then I quickly lose confidence in even being able to do it.

But then I try to remember when life's got you down, it's up to each one of us. The plasticity of the brain is a remarkable thing and we're building new neurons all the time, even into our 70's. We CAN make the most of each situation for each of us by the way we choose to handle things, not flying off the handle. Take a breath....Life is what we make it, good or bad....personal responsibility and not putting it on others for blame...

So I try to take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. I try to be really mindful of my reactions. Knowing its up to me how I react and that its my mind and what comes out of my mouth is solely me, no one is telling me to say whatever I say.

I did get a second chance at life and I should try to ALWAYS remember that....I also do pray alot to make me be the person I want to be..its hard at times but are only choice is to persevere...make goals and make ourselves our own project..its our life not anyone else's that both for our reactions and what we want our life to be now..

• ksmith pinned this topic