Walkaide

Hi All,

My stroke was almost 3 yrs ago and I've had really bad foot drop since then. I've been wearing an afo with ankle boots to keep my foot stable. This summer I went to a convention and found out about the walkaide. It's unbelievable!!! You put it on and the foot drop goes away right away. It's a perineal nerve stimulator so it activates the wiring you have naturally in your leg to make your muscles work properly. I wear normal shoes now, my balance is better, It's so much more comfortable than an afo. Right now they are not covered by insurance but they are expecting approval soon in the new year. It's amazing :) Maggie

Guest lwisman

Maggie,

Do you know if there is a website where people can see the product, get the official line on how it works, and info on how to obtain one?

Maggie,

Did you have to have a prescription for this? It is quite costly, but it sounds promising.

Vi

hi maggie, that is great news. so glad you found something to help you it sounds like a wonderful godsend to those with drop foot. good luck with it and keep walking. kimmie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will be seeing a representative soon and I will ask about the seizure possibility.

Vi

I went for a trial run for a walkaide just today. I was with the representative for an hour and a half. It is really amazing a it works and it is programmed through the computer as you take steps. I will eloborate more tomorrow, but a do see some flaws. The cost is around $4500 with about $200 a year for replacement electrodes. I went by myself and was not pressured at all, he told me that I could come back anytime and bring my husband before I make any kind of decision. They also have 24 months no interest payment plan. More tomorrow.

• 5 months later...

Hi Everybody,

A little update. I've been using the walkaide for 10 months now and I love it more than ever. The skin under the electrodes will get itchy if I don't change them often enough (1x a week). But a little cortizone cream at night and the next morning it's all healed up. I've been wearing it at least 12 hrs a day. My balance is better, my joints don't hurt from being used impropperly, and I've been walking faster and safer. The one AA battery gets changed about every month or so. I've had allot of weddings and things to go to, and sometimes my camera battery runs out. I've taken the battery out of my walkaide, put it in my camera, and them put it back when it's time to move. It's very convienent having a AA battery with you all the time. It takes no time to put it on once you get the hang of it and your off... I can't wait to see what the next advances will bring. :happydance: Maggie

• 3 weeks later...

I'll toss in my two cents worth. My stroke occurred just over five years ago as a complication to a heart valve replacement surgery and I have been in some form of therapy ever since. I returned to full time work about 8 months after the CVA and have been progressing a bit at a time throughout the five years. The areas that just had been stubborn were the foot drop and heavy limp. The limp caused severe lower back pain because of spasms in a calf muscle. That problem was dealt with successfully with quarterly botox injections - but the foot drop continued to be a problem - including when I 'kissed' the carpeting on a jetway at the Orlando airport! (Have you seen how fast airline management personnel move when a customer shows up at the aircraft door bleeding?? Was only a minor bloody nose.)

Last week I was fitted with the Walkaide - WOW! (My wife's word - not mine - when she saw the effects during the fitting.) It's taking a little patience in getting it on just right in the morning - but that's about it. Speed definitely has picked up and the other leg is a lot less tired after a lengthy walk. The first couple days yielded a really sore chin muscle - but soreness is good news for a stroke survivor - right! (The muscle must be working again!)

I'm really looking forward to seeing what effect it may have over time in the re-training process.

- John

Hi everyone,

I will offer my testimonial about the Walkaid as well. I am told that I received the first Walkaid in the Country

from the Hanger rep at Emory in Atlanta...he cried when he watched me walk without the AFO but with the

Walkaid. It was kind of like, "run Forrest, run!" with me after that. Think of how many times in a day it fires

if you make yourself stay active. Consequently, my Walkaid is stuck up in a cabinet and I walk unassisted

without a cane, all because I believe, in the correct timing of the use of the Walkaid at about the 3 month out

mark. Of course, I have sent a lot of people to the Hanger office for the no-cost trial and it has not worked for

everyone for a variety of reasons, but like I said, it COSTS NOTHING to try. As the Hanger guy said in Atlanta,

"I have been selling AFOs for 35 years and this is the first alternative I have seen that seems to work". Any questions,

please ask.

Joel

Archived