Weight Gain since Stroke

Guest hostmel

Yes, weight is a tricky issue -

I have found a hypnosis program that seems to be helping, as well as just being active, walking eheb I can, doing leg lifts in bed when I can't. Joined the Y and do the swimming exercie class for arthritis - they go slow so you have no worries of being left behind - plus it's low-impact whixh helps ease any muscle strain/pain.

I have also altered my diet like jkirshenbaum did and that is helping. My dietician recommended walnuts and dried cranberries for a quick pick-me-up - walnuts have slow digesting protein to kepp sugar level and the cranberries have been shown to lower cholesterol levels! A power punch in one snack :cheer:

I wish you the best

Also if you are interested in a free site that is just for folks wanting to lose weight and want encouragement by like-minded folk - try http://www.sparkpeople.com/

If you want a free walking program you can go to: http://www.prevention.com/walking/walking_landing.html

Guest bessy

hey mel i had the sameproblem i thinkitsassociated with strokeand not doing a lot of things herese what i did to loos that excessweight i went from laege platesto smaller paper1sfirst 6 inch then worked my way down to smaller onesim now at the weight i want to be get thisi lost to date over 250poundsim down from355to 151 nowand happy whereim at and intendon staying there even thoughmy family says eat eat eat but i dont want tobe thayt old person i was groughy i was in to my horsesand swimming aswel asskiing snowmobiling now ive given upcmping but my goal is to return to the same ole me minus theweight i drink tons of waterdaily my therapist saidthat if i wasat my old weight i would not be atthe point im at today you wil succed at it its a totalchangein every thing around you hopes thishelps out some one and take into notice of what every has told you therewere lots of fantacic ideas out there takeadvice from every onea good ideais 1 that hasent been tried

thanks

bessy

There's quite a bit of research showing that antidepressants cause weight gain. And most of us pop them daily. I'm thinking about discontinuing mine.

I had my stroke May 4, 2005. Since then have gained 30 lbs. I don't eat much, have a little activity. But my one gripe is the medication I take. I found out Metformin is a weight gaining drug. I am definitely going to ask my doctor if I can change it. Good luck with your weight loss - I am always trying. My doctor told me not to worry about the gain that my A1C was very good. Go figure!

Mary Goldberg

yes i to lost weight 15 pounds after stroke (depression) i have also gained it back and a bit more ? lol not as active but trying to get back to the swing of things hang in there if i come across any wl secrets ill let you know

take care shakeyleg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: My Dr. put me on Cymbalta for depression (and pain) and I have lost 13# in about 6 weeks, I don't have as much of an appetite.

• 1 month later...

I love the honesty here! It's very refreshing. I'm 27, and 5'10, before my stroke I was fit and active and a nice size 12. Since my stroke in September I've gained 60 lbs, now I'm a size 20! I feel like a COW. NOTHING fits, and it's summer uggggg. It's very difficult because I eat very healthy but my ability to exersice is limited. We were very active before, walking miles every day, and working out 5 days a week. My stamina just isn't there yet.

I recently bought a staionary recumant bike and I've lost 4 lbs in 2 months. I also use 5lbs dumbells for my arms. It's not a lot but it's a start. I really cannot imagine living the rest of my life over 200 lbs. It's deppressing and at times it does seem as if I don't have tons to look forward to so why not get dessert every night. My family my mother in particular is giving me a really hard time. How I need to watch my eating habits, blah, blah blah. It's hard to hear, I just wish people would keep their opinions to themselves. I don't know!!!!

The recumant bike is a great way for people that aren't that mobile to get exercise. I highly recommend it.

Archived