Anyone have uneasiness in large crowds?

This may be just me, but I have noticed that I don't do well in crowds anymore. I did notice this right after the first stroke and thought it was just being self-conscious, but I still notice an anxiety when I am in larger crowds. Anyone?

Yes I still do also. Sometimes at a family gathering I go off to a quiet spot for a few minutes. I do better shopping in larger stores with my daughter. I also try to shop when the stores are less busy.

Part of my problem is I have some peripheral vision loss on both sides, it is worse on the left.. so I tend to bump people or things and then I get more "rattled". I started out by going to smaller stores, that i knew pretty well and I knew the exits for a quick get away if needed.

Hi Mary,

I too do not like crowds that much - I think it's a safety thing. When I'm in the wheelchair, people don't see me and sometimes practically trip over me. If I'm cruisin with hemiwalker, I can't move out of people's ways quick enough as I'm scared I'm gonna fall flat on my face and people will just step over me. Honestly, even before the stroke I wasn't much of a in-the-crowds person. This is the first year I've ever agreed to go shopping day after Thanksgiving. We went to Target - not too bad.

This may be just me, but I have noticed that I don't do well in crowds anymore. I did notice this right after the first stroke and thought it was just being self-conscious, but I still notice an anxiety when I am in larger crowds. Anyone?

I've been doing this the last 13 months (and other problems). I'm seeing a psycholgist right now. The psycholgist did tests and talking with me before a treatment. He said I fall under "social phopia". In the new year i'm going through 15 sessions to start. This started (my problems) when the docs said i'm permanent (before they said I would come back like normal). After that I found out my insurance did a surveillance tape on me. I am so mad about that and all that problems it hurt me so much. I try to me forward and the insurance keep puting barriers in front of me.

try to be strong, i'm trying

Bill :Tantrum:

I agree with Bill, it took me a bit of time for crowds not to bother me(2-3 years). I really think getting out and walking outside not in a mall (maybe those outdoor malls?)if you can, getting good sleep and to have small group socialization helps one to ease back into this face paced society we're all stuck with. I remember I could only take so much before I felt like I was suffocating.

I remember uneasiness with the business of the holiday was so bad at first. I had my stroke right before Thanksgiving and got out of rehab Dec 17th. We had a very simple Christmas that year, any running hubby did. Ask if either someone can do some of the running for you this year and maybe even shop online for the first couple of years...Don't overload yourself, it sure is not worth it, can be tiring..

:( me, too - since my first stroke in 1985, when in a crowd for longer than 15 minutes, I start to panic, and can't wait to leave -

Don't worry, it is just part of the aftermath of a stroke

June

Maria -

Congrats on your nuptials, and I still panic when in crowds

June

Guest lwisman

My latest reflection on this subject is I am getting better. This afternoon I went to a party where there were about 30 people. We stayed for an hour. The crowd did not bother me, and in fact the hour went really fast - I was enjoying the conversation.

This experience just creeped up on me. This is good news. :big_grin:

Hi Mary,

I haven't been back to church in 3 yrs. Not because of any religious problem or anything I just get very uncomfortable with people starring, Rt hemiparesis, and I think that there is just too much going on. I get overwhelmed with too much stimulus. It's not as bad as it used to be. I used to have a hard time driving in traffic, but now I think I'm used to it again. A few months ago I was driving in traffic, it was raining so I had the windshield wipers going and there were windmills right next to the highway. My brain just could't handle that much at once. I just think ahead as much as I can to avoid stiuations like that.

Maggie :rolleyes:

I have a TERRIBLE time now. I went to my step-daughters wedding and had to leave my glasses at home so I wouldn't freak; she had over 200 people!! Malls? Forget it! I do all of my shopping online.

Susan :cold:

• 9 months later...

I've been doing this the last 13 months (and other problems). I'm seeing a psycholgist right now. The psycholgist did tests and talking with me before a treatment. He said I fall under "social phopia". In the new year i'm going through 15 sessions to start. This started (my problems) when the docs said i'm permanent (before they said I would come back like normal). After that I found out my insurance did a surveillance tape on me. I am so mad about that and all that problems it hurt me so much. I try to me forward and the insurance keep puting barriers in front of me.

try to be strong, i'm trying

Bill :Tantrum:

It all starts Bill in believing. although easier said than done, i too had a cerebellar and basal ganglia stroke on the right side, had bell's palsy the week after m stroke, i'm only 39, normal blood chemistry. I also don't like crowded places, my hearing is affected, sometimes, loud noises, people laughing, talking makes it harder for me.

Mary,

Yes absolutely I feel like there's too much to take in and process all at one time especially in a mall or a crowded store.

Every so often I get brave and attempt to venture off a bit on my own, after about 10 minutes I'm then clinging to something stationary as I call my husband or one of my sons from my cell to retrieve me and drone on the rest of the outing with the I told you so lecture.

It's the price you pay for trying to make sneaky purchases without having to listen to the "Do you really need another___" lecture.

hi mary,

i was always a pretty social person but since my stroke i find i do better hanging out with one or two friends at a time. i watch movies at home (i got knocked over at the movie theater last time i tried it) and generally stick to small family events. i pretty much shop on line and can't say i miss the mall at all. i do visit my local drugstore but i know everyone there and again its small. i think it is all the stimulation of the outside world - noise, colors and speed and my fear of falling that is too much for my brain to take in.

one of the things i love about this site is communicating with people - but at my own pace and in my pajamas if i choose. so, to answer your question, i think not loving crowds is fairy the norm. cheers! kathy

nor do i but if family is with me, i do much better. i think i prefer to stay at home in my comfort zone. i do all of my shopping online now.

Hi Mary.

I don't seem to have trouble with the crowd per se, but the noise generated. My brain can only handle so many people talking at once before going into overload. Loud noises or loud music affects me as well.

Bob

I did have some trouble w/ crowds in the beginning. With each new experience, I try to imagine what is going to happen. The first time I went to a shopping center, I kept to the walls. It was around Christmas time and people were hustling everywhere to buy their presents in time. The next time, I had family w/ me and they walked on each side of my walker. One time I went to the shopping center w/ family, I came upon an elderly woman using a walker, too. I approached her and asked her if she wanted to race. :D Call me Smart Aleck.

I still do a sort of visualization, trying to imagine what will happen and if a certain situation came up, how would I handle it. So I kind of have a plan in mind before I go outside. I hope this helps a little. Take Care. LK

Me too, eversince i got this stroke, i have difficulty in noisy places, restaurants, malls, groceries, i do go to this places inspite what we have suffered,but alone. Yes, i keep on walking, its m dail exercise. After my stroke, i suffered bell's palsy. Talk about bad luck !! :( My question is will i ever be regular again.. Because of people like you, i lift my spirits up !! Telling myself, keep on moving Erwin, its not the end of the world !!!

Hi Mary.

I don't seem to have trouble with the crowd per se, but the noise generated. My brain can only handle so many people talking at once before going into overload. Loud noises or loud music affects me as well.

Bob

DEar Bob, you're right, suffering from a brainstem stroke affected our hearing, fine motor movements. i can walk without a cane or walker, but i have both, i i didn't use it, call me stupid, but i would depend on those two, now i can, but can't run, lift light weightsm not the heavy ones, there are limitations what i can do, and what i can't. Resigned from a stressful job, accepted a pressure one. Although i miss the thrill of my previous job, still.... Fight back !! in less than a month, i started to drive.

Erwin

Archived