Disabled Travelers Guide

Here's a link to very interesting website where you can get lost reading about all the countries and places the website owner's talk about traveling to as a "disabled couple"---as they call themselves---the woman has been wheelchair bound for twenty years following a series of strokes.

Here's a quote from the site:

".......we have also found an attitude that seems to prevail in the minds of many who are not familiar with special needs people. Their attitude, the minute they hear you are disabled or in a wheelchair, is to instantly think “disabled” means “unable.” They jump to the conclusion you can’t do anything that “normal” people can do.

In challenged situations like ours (and yours), you can do one of two things: You can stay home, moan and groan, and say things like, “Why me, Lord? What did I do to deserve this?” Or you can get up, gather all the determination you have inside you, and choose to get on with your life."

That's a great can-do attitude, not just for those wishing to travel disabled, but to apply to anything in life you want to do.

Jean

http://www.disabledtravelersguide.com/

Jean,

I would add another descriptor to this web-site. The word is "inspiring". I'm feeling much more confident about traveling now and Bill and I will be going to St. Augustine, Florida the end of this month. Nothing like the places this couple have visited, but their travels sure are an inspiration to expand our horizons a bit and do some international travel we've wanted to do!

Thanks for sharing this web-site.

I stroked in 2000 at age 39 :Tantrum: .hubby and I just had our 25th wedding anniversary and decided to throw caution to the wind and plan a trip to Italy(I took Italian lessons for this) for sept. of this year. I'm a bit nervous but the more I think of it...why not go and have a great time and not let this stupid stroke hold me back. we are renting a villa in tuscany as a home base and taking day trips to local attractions. haven't flown since the stroke but I'm determined to go and not let anything hold me back. hope my AFO doesn't get stained purple from all those grapes I'll be stomping :big_grin:

wish me luck!

beth

Don't forget to check out the links this guy and his wife recommend on the right hand side under 'Italy'...might find something helpful. If I'm remembering right they said---in their right side notes under 'Italy'---that it was one of their top favorite places.

We'll all be looking forward to heading about your trip.

Jean

Guest veggie.vampire

Very good attitude but not so easy for some. Some of us simply cannot get to a toilet so more than two to three hours travel really is impossible, not putting obstacles, just stating a fact! I need my turning device to transfer and travel on public transport with that is impractical, it is neccesarily heavy to balance me when I stand. Some people need hoists and have a similar problem. When I can stand alone its off to Egypt, my dream holiday because of the history.

Diane,

The blogs book club selection we're reading now---Christopher Reeve's book---has a page in it describing all his special needs when traveling, which were mind boggling, so I know what you mean. You'll get to Egypt someday, though. You've come a long way already!

By the way, some people who can't transfer easily use catheters when they travel to cut down on toilet stops. Not something I would like doing but I know someone who does this so she can vacation with the rest of her family. They're on the go quit often.

Jean

On the photograph at the beginning of the article there is a wheelchair with fat bubbly wheels, has anyone got any idea where one of these can be purchased and how much they are

Mike

The all-terrain wheelchair comes manually or power and one source is the Access To Recreation site at: http://www.accesstr.com/ If you do a Google or Goodsearch for all-terrain wheelchairs and you might find a company closer to home. I've seen them in various catalogs. Access to Recreation is my favorite for finding disability sports equipment. Request a catalog and you'll have lots of dream material.

This company carries several styles of all-terrain chairs in different prices ranges. Beach chairs are different that the extreme chairs so you need to think about how you want to use the chair as well as the price range. I can see why this world traveler from the disabled travelers guide site got one of theses chairs. Did you look at some of the photos on the various links where she's sitting in the middle of no where in that chair?

I'm really getting fascinated by disability sports and hobbies! There is a whole other world out there.

Jean

Hey Mike,

When you click on the website Jean listed above, on the left side bottom, says beach accessories, click on that. It takes you to the price, phone number and info you are asking.

Click on 'Canada' in the left hand column at the Disabled Travelers Guide site linked in my first post in this thread and you'll find a photo of that all-terrain wheelchair being pulled by dogs in the snow. How cool is that!

Jean

I LIKE IT!! I'm going to go right out and buy a couple harnesses and turn Sam's travel chair into a "pup-mobile" . I can just picture Sam yelling "Mush" as they pull her around the lake. Just kidding, they're not big enough. One of them likes to chase rabbits, and that might not be a good thing either.

Looking at the pictures on those sites has given me an idea though. It shouldn't be too difficult to find some fat bicycle rims and tires that would fit her chair. A couple of those solid inserts instead of tubes and we'll be in business. Thanks for the links. Gives me something to work on!!

Wow! That is so fantastic. I just took our motorhome out today for a short drive to charge up the batteries and fill up the gas tank. Now that it is warming up I am ready for a camping weekend. But after reading some of the stories on their site, I am ready to venture much further. My niece lives in Japan and wants us to come visit, but I was afraid to imagine it possible. This sure changed my mind.

I wish we could win the lottery and have a strokenet reunion somewhere exotic and have all the members get to come! Maybe we should look into book a cruise as a group. Can't you just see us all taking over the hot tub?

Click on the Thailand link on the left of the travel site and scroll down to the picture of Nancy sitting in that all-terrain wheelchair in the middle of stream with an elephant just feet away. That's my favorite photo on the site. That chair really would open up new doors. A guy at Don's disability deer hunt last fall had a wheelchair that would do 'dirt' and boon-dock stuff. He was covered in mud and happy as a clam when he came in to the deer camp that night.

Jean

• 2 months later...

Jean,

Sounds like a quite place to visit even if you live in Texas and plan on traveling. I think my scooter will be okay in most establishments or I can walk in.

My question is how far are you and Don from this town of Rockford? Most of my early travels with and for Walmart has been changed for the 13th time. Things are still looking up of course. The incident with Mr Young didn't help my cause any if you know what I mean.

Fred,

We live close enough that we go to this town every week. That's why I know so much about its wheelchair accessibility. It's the town where Don grew up. The city council has done a wonderful job turning into a tourist attraction but given the fact that most of buildings are turn of the century its by no means accessible to everyone. I wrote the article so people using a wheelchair wouldn't have to learn by trial and error where they can go and can't go.

Jean

• 5 months later...

well, we finally went to Italy and had a blast :Clap-Hands: ! with a little extra planning(inflatable bed wedge,shower seat,etc) it was possible. because we rented a place and had a car for day trips it wasn't too bad getting around but ,boy, did I do some serious walking. more in 7 days than I'd done in my 7 years post-stroke,I think. people were wonderful and my Italian lessons payed off.

I know it's not so simple for everyone but look around there are resources out there for all different trips and levels of ability.

so glad we did it!

beth

Beth:

I am so happy you had wonderful trip to Italy. after my stroke at 34, I decided that I want to travel when I still can, and I have had great vacations since then my next trip I am going to plan is yellowstone national park. I thank my stars eeryday that I am still able to.

Asha

:Clap-Hands: MY HUSBAND AND I TOOK ATRIP OVER THE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND TO VISIT A MEMBER FROM STROKE NET WE WENT AM TRACK TRAIN AND IF YOUR HANDI CAPPED YOU CAN REQUEST THE HANDI CAPPED CARWHICH HASA POTTY RIGHT THERE AND FOR YOUR CARE GIVERTHERE ARE SHOWERSRIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR TO YOUR SECTION OF CARAND THEY ALSO INCLUDE YOUR MEALS THAT ARE BROUGHT RIGHT TO YOU FOR GOOD EATSANFD IF YOU ARE MOBILE YOU CAN WALK AROUND THETRAIN UP TO THE SIGHT SEEING CAR AND IF YOU ARE IN AWHEEL CHAIR THEY DROP ARAMP SO THAT YOU CAN GET BOTH ON AND OF THE TRAIN IN FACT WE HAVE ALREADY BOOKED OUR TRIP FOR THE 2008 MEMORIAL DAY SEASON SAME BUT THIS TIME WE ARE ADDING A FEWEXTRA DAYS ON WE LIKED THE FACT THATTRAIN WAS MOVING WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING AND FOOD WAS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE SO NO HOTELS WHICH MEANS NO GAS OR WEARAND TEAR ON OUR PERSONAL CAR IM NOT SURE OF THE LINK BUT THE CONTACT #FOR AM TRACK IS 188-USA RAIL YOU CAN REQUEST A MAG FROM THEM SO IF YOU SHOULD DECIDE THIS IS YOU RWAY OF TRAVEL I WOULD WHOLE HEARTLY RECOMMEND IT ANDCAN NOT WAIT UNTIL NXT YEARS TRIP

BESSY :big_grin:

Archived