Exercise reality

For the past few months I have been showing up at PT early and doing leg lifts on a machine called a "Total Gym" You lay on an inclined bench and use your leg(s) to lift your body up and down, the higher the setting (1 to 10, 10 highest). I have gotten up to one set of 100 on setting #9, then one set of 50, same setting, using only my bad (left) leg. After that it is about time to start PT. Thought I was doing really great until I tried our Bowflex at home the other day. Could only do two sets of 10 leg lifts with 20 lbs. After doing that I had to come upstairs, open the fridge and eat a large slice of humble pie. Thought I was doing good, but obviously still have a lot of work to do. Sigh!

I know exactly how you feel. The first time I tried to do a bench press, I struggled mightily with 5 lbs!!! It just takes time.

When I do work out, I work just my affected side because my good side will just take over. I'm hoping my working with my affected side, that it will work my brain to reconnect what was lost.

Just stick with it.

George,

Do you get on the exercise bike sometimes? That helped me during my VA therapy days. There you are on your own, the therapist just sits at a desk and watch everybody Even in the pool they watch from pool side.

How many more sessions you got left?

Kiwi bird,

Introduce yourself in the introduction forum so we can officially welcome you, we'd love to hear from you.

• 1 month later...

George,

Do you get on the exercise bike sometimes? That helped me during my VA therapy days. There you are on your own, the therapist just sits at a desk and watch everybody Even in the pool they watch from pool side.

How many more sessions you got left?

Kiwi bird,

Introduce yourself in the introduction forum so we can officially welcome you, we'd love to hear from you.

I agree the exercise bike is a godsend, I try and ride 5km. each and every day I'm not at Physio. It takes awhile but it gets done. It's only been 10 months since my stroke but I have the ( I'm not going to quit) attitude no matter how hard it gets.

I don't know if any of you have found this but, doing toe to heel walking in the parallel bars is really hard on the hip, I know I have to do it , but dislike it immensely.

Stu

great george, just keep at it, you have come so far already. its hard work but you can always get better. some people don't get as far as you have in recovery, you derserve a big pat on the back. just don't hurt yourself.

k.anderson

Guest thegoodlife

:hug: You are doing great! With an attitude like yours you will go real far. I did and am still at it-never give up....I'm so proud of people like you.

I go on an exercise bike twice or more a week also do alot of water exercises-my stroke was 6 yrs ago. I am yet determined to RUN!!!LOL

thegoodlife

• 3 weeks later...

Do you exercise at home? I spend 2 hours 4 days a week doing "physical and occupational therapy" at home. I had the equipment at home, weights, treadmill, and I continue to use it.

I no longer go to any other therapy except three sessions of active release left. I do everything at home now.

Wow! I'd give my left n-t that much stregnth on my affected side! I stroked 3 years ago, at first I struggled every day my understanding of hemiparesis (not a doctor) with all my deficits I finally gave permission myself to GRADUALLY/NOT OVERNIGHT! get better. Sure you have a 'weak' side because you stroked, you CAN stregnthen it if you try to do some stregnth training gradually, I kept TRYING I walk with cane and AFO (Ankle Foot Orthosis, to hold up my drop foot), I wear a very light AFO the style is called 'toe-off' brace , it fits any shoe, it really helped my walking at first, its much lighter than the typical AFO, consequently I walk a mile every day!

I recommend to contact Kirsten Lindquist at 814-359-3529 Lindquist Family Foot Care in Pleasant gap, PA

it really helped me a lot to get started walking out of the wheelchair, my insurance DID pay for it! Please tell them Michael Foster sent you! She's an EXCELLENT orthotist! Please keep me posted if you get a chance

Michael in Michigan :cheer:

Michael in Michigan here again- Sorry I was a being a ditz! You could call Karen Lindquist for INFORMATION maybe she can help you find a NEARBY! orthotist that deals with it- I just realized I might be on the other side of U.S.! I REALLY LOVE the toe-off brace fits any shoe, very lightweight, let me describe it further, it just one narrow metal 'tongue to hold up the 'dropped' foot, it just has 2 velcro straps at the calf, and goes behind the achilles, its pretty easy to put on with one hand, thats important! I want to emphasize because its lightweight, it helped me a lot to start walking again. I LOVE it! So, hows your 'weak/affected' leg , can you take a few steps? Youll be pleased with it! Let me know how it goes!Remember its NOT paralyzed, its just WEAK, it can be stregnthened! We dont say 'bad side/good side' 'weak side/strong side', 'affected side', I need a pep talk for my affected hand and arm, deal? Okay, Ill shut up now! I used to get in trouble for talking too much at speech therapy! I wish you best of luck and perseverance!

Michael in Michigan :beer: :cheer:

Archived