ankle support

I wear an articulated molded white plastic AFO imostly for ankle support instead of foot drop

It does work well & totally stabilized my ankle I trust it OK, I do not sleep in it, so I cannot get myself out of bed to the bathroom at night

I always hated wearing shoes at home loved being barefoot

My affected leg is still paralyzed not just weak I can move it from the hip to walk

Cannot bend ankle or bend toes

I

Hi Susan,

I'm 2 years post. I use an AFO during waking hours. Around home, during the day, I can manuever w/o using my hemiwalker or quad cane. Once I shower at night, I leave AFO off and generally must use hemiwalker so I don't fall on my nose. I keep the hemiwalker at bedside and fortunately can get up when necessary. There are times, when I can walk barefoot w/o AFO or hemi but I'm cautious as I don't want to break something. Without AFO on, I'm starting to get some ankle movement as well as curl my toes. Nothing functional as of yet...but I remain hopeful.

Susan, check with your therapist for suggestions. Denny's therapist suggested he purchase an over the counter ankle support - kind of like the ones wrestler's wear. They lace up and have stays in the sides for support. I just did a google search using "lace up ankle support" and came up with lots of options. Try this one: /www.ankleshop.com/

susan, i also wear afo on my affected leg for ankle support and drop foot. i recently just got a new one that seems to be helping me walk better with help from cane. i do not wear my brace to bed, you need to let the leg breath at nite, so i keep mine at bedside with my shoes to put on should i need to get up at night. are you not able to put your afo on by yourself. i find it extremely uncomtfortable to wear in bed. or perhaps a bedside commode at night might be better for you, where you could just stand and pivot over to the commode. i would check with your therapist to be safe, though. i cannot walk without mine. just be careful whatever you do.

k.. anderson

You might try the Walkaide.com. I tried it without buying it. The dorsiflexion it triggered in my ankle has nevere left me. Might help. Very pricy. Try before you buy.

Hi Susan,

I'm 2 years post. I use an AFO during waking hours. Around home, during the day, I can manuever w/o using my hemiwalker or quad cane. Once I shower at night, I leave AFO off and generally must use hemiwalker so I don't fall on my nose. I keep the hemiwalker at bedside and fortunately can get up when necessary. There are times, when I can walk barefoot w/o AFO or hemi but I'm cautious as I don't want to break something. Without AFO on, I'm starting to get some ankle movement as well as curl my toes. Nothing functional as of yet...but I remain hopeful.

HI, Susan,

I, too, wear an APO to avoid a foot drop of the right foot, only in the daytime

when there is some where to go, and when I put on sandals or shoes. I wear

over-sized shoes as the APO takes up a lot of room. I can't wear normal shoes.

I do not wear the APO when I go to bed. It's only a short walk when I have to

go to the bathroom. Then, I use my pyramid cane as i can't walk without it.

• 3 weeks later...
Rachel too wears a plastic AFO for a non-usable right ankle. It wont bend and her toes wont move. We are going next week to have the orthotist look at making her a new one as this one is starting to hurt her more and more. She doesn't wear it at night. Without it on the therapists said if Rachel went to try and walk on her right foot the ankle would break.

Susan,

I too wear an Afo durin the day and it helps greatly for foot drop on the left side. With it, my heel now hits the floor first and helps with dorsiflextion. When I take it off, I am able to make my heel hit first for about 5 minutes without it. This is a new Afo that was cusom made by Hangar Orthpedics in January. I have also tried the Walkaid and am going to try to hold out until it is covered by insurance. Another thing that seems to help is using a flex band to stretch my ankle and muscles in the lower part of my leg which are still very tight. My husband stetches my foot and ankle every night before bed which feels really good. I am a year and a half post stroke and am still seeing improvements. Good Luck!

:( Susan - You listed too many things you cannot do - I totally understand as I have been paralyzed since 1985 at age 39 :Tantrum: & it does not get easier, but you are lucky, in a way that you are able to ambulate, even though you must wear an A F O i have worn one since 1985 and really miss walking minus shoes and wearing fashionable heels, but life goes on, and I just feel blessed to be alive and besides enjoying life to its fullest, am able to walk and talk -

GOOD LUCK & COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

June :cheer:

Hi,

This might be something that works for you. My physical therapist had the guy at hangar make a modified brace that I could use in the shower. And I ended up using it quite a bit not in the shower just getting around the house. What is was is a standard brace and then they put a tread on it like a shoe. No shoe required. I used it quite a bit for a while.

It is easy to put on since you don't have to work it into a shoe.

Take care,

Autumn

Archived