musculo/skeletal deformities resulting from strokes

My wife suffered a severe stroke in July 2004 at the age of 54. As a result, her left arm/hand is paralyzed and her left leg/foot has minimal movement. After therapy, my wife could only walk a very short distance (with leg brace and hex cane) because her foot was turned in from the stroke. In June 2006, we saw a "health segment" on TV from our local ABC news station in Philadelphia which featured a Dr. Mary Ann Keenan from the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia helping stroke survivors. Dr Keenan was featured helping a woman from Toms River, New Jersey who had a musculo/skeltal deformity from a stroke. Dr Keenan performed surgery on this woman and after time, she is able to walk. Please "google" Dr. Mary Ann Kennan for more information.

My wife had an appointment with Dr Keenan last December and after a full examination, Dr Keenan stated she thought she could help my wife walk again. Dr Keenan described my wife's foot condition as "crab walk" from her stroke. On March 7th, my wife had surgery. Dr Keenan made approximately 7 incisions in my wife's foot and tunneled through her foot bone to rearrange the tendons. My wife is now in a foot cast for 6 weeks to allow the tendons to heal. Then, she'll be fitted with a brace she'll need to wear 24 hours a day for 4 to 6 weeks to stregthen the foot tendons. After her brace, she'll receive rehab therapy to "teach" her to walk again. Dr Keenan feels my wife has an excellent chance of walking again without a leg brace or cane. We are very thankful to Dr Keenan and hopeful that my wife will walk again very soon. I sincerely hope this message will help someone.

Jack Jordan

hi jack,

thankyou very much for the info. i do hope that the surgery will get your wife to walking normally after stroke. i too have problems walking on my affected leg and foot and wear an afo to help me walk with a cane. so please keep us posted on how your wife is doing. this is something new, i did not even know they were able to do nowadays. i am 53 had stroke 5yrs ago. what about people with drop foot, is she able to help them too. good luck with the outcome. i will keep you all in my prayers. kim anderson

This is very interesting. I looked up the doctor on google, but only found news articles. I would like to see some more research or journal information.

For some people with drop foot, too much tone over a period of time can add to the contracting of muscles which prevent them from completing a good heal plant when walking. I wonder if this surgery can help with that?

Hera and I have both had ortho foot/ankle surgery to correct post-stroke gait problems. There was an article about it in Stroke Connection in 2004/2005 as well. Nice to ambulate without an AFO. Recovery was a bear, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jack :)

I too went to dr. Keenan in Dec. She is amazing from what I have seen and heard.

Mon, I should finally make a decision. My mom was really sick for a while, so things now can get back to normal, so I can make the appointment.

Rehab sounds really long though...but it is worth it, hopefully !

Hope your wife is doing well !

~dorothy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone :hiya:

I have the surgery on July, 17 th in Phillie.

Any suggestions, during and/or after the surgery, would be amazing !

:Ponder: thank you, dorothy

Dorothy, my experience was that after the surgery I had to learn to walk again, just like after the stroke. There were days I couldn't believe I'd voluntarily put myself through it again. Totally worth it though.

Rene.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad is 62 had a stroke about 10 years ago, he has no movement in his left arm and limited movement in his left leg. He just went and met with Dr. Keeran, who siad she belived she could help him with his leg/knee/ankle, he made an appt for November for the time being. We still are nervous and have a lot of questions. If anyone knows any more information please let me know:

- What are the risks of this operation?

- Is it just one operation?

- How long would you say the rehab was?

- Is there any reason you would not recommend this surgery?

I am so happy to hear all these success stories, very hopeful!

Best to you all.

Hi :)

Your dad went to Dr. Keenan. I have heard so mush about here.

My surgery is July 17 th.

From my experience, is that my surgery is 2 weeks in a cast.

Then a new cast will be then applied for another 6 weeks.

Six weeks after the surgery you get a CAM boot a short-leg brace, it should contiue to hold the foot in a neurtral position...worn it 24 hours a day. You can take it off during the shower, than back on after. It will heal and strengthening the tendon.

After 3 months after the surgery, you can walk without the brace. Slowly, in order for the muscles to become stronger. That is when you have p/t.

Mine will be one operation about 2 hours. Before that you should have the gait test to see which spot that they are staying focused on the tendons.

It is a 70 % percent, that you can walk with out the brace.

So happy for your dad, hope it works well !!

You can also have swellingness after the surgery....temporarily.

~dorothy :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I had the same surgery by Dr Keenan, as my right leg under the knee, is a little paralyzed. My toes were in a Clawtoe state. Whenever I walked, it was painful for me. Dr Keenan did the surgery, and straigtened my toes. After the surgery, I don't use a cane any longer! I used to use it sometimes, whenever it rained before the surgery. This was in 2006. I don't use a cane any longer! Then I had a surgery in April of this year, to make me walk better. She took out nerves, and muscles right on top of my knee, and shifted them 90 degrees to the left side of my knee. I always walk from the Hip. With the Surgery, it cuts it down to half that. I still go to Robert Wood Johnson for P/T. I have had 10 sessions, with 3 left. The leg is getting better, and better. Dr Keenan performs miracles!

I go dancing every week, I can do a slow dance, and a modified Merangue. Most woman shun me, (because of the stroke), but I can usually dance with a few woman. I used to dance every week, for about nine years, before I had the stroke. I used to rock then! (I had the stroke about 4 1/2 years ago)

To Dorothy my friend, don't talk on your cell phone, and stand on your foot at the same time, when you have the Surgery! LOL Make sure you get a full, not a medium size, plastic bag for your leg. In a medical store, before you have the operation, on the 17th of July. (You can use 2 garbage bags also in a pinch. Tie the ends of the bag off, and be sure to use a rubber band also)

I wish Dorothy, to be able to walk without a cane, when she has the surgery! Good luck!

Still Dancing...........Marv

Welcome Jack,

Hope everything works out for your wife and we will be keeping an eye open for an update from you.

Hey Marv :happydance:

Thank You so much !

You are doing so well !

Keep it going !

and thanks for the tips ! hee-hee :lol:

the days are counting ......... tic tock tic tock.....................

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I'm new to this board. I just had surgery done by Dr, Keenan on Wed. I am now home. I am looking forward to walking without a terrible limp and falling so much. I am up late because of bad muscle spasms :( and I can't sleep. Anyone get these, and do they go away eventually? I'm taking Valium, but isn't helping much.

hi ketann, welcome to strokenetwork. i do get spasms in my arm and leg at times, but i take a muscle relaxer as needed. i would suggest you talk to your doctor. are the spasms a result of the surgery? i hope you achieve some comfort soon and good results from the surgery. keep us posted on how you are doing.

This is a great Topic and time to resurface for a while and get more feed back from Phillyjack since his wife's operation and any others who want to report their success.

Welcome Ketann,

Hope your recent surgery also goes well as you are home resting now. Please let us know in time how you are doing. I think about a shot or something at certain times when my foot and or leg doesn't want to work like I think it should. Some say Botox works for a short time but I bet the work by this doctor may prove to be a good treatment to correct the foot problem.

I get or got the muscle spasms but I take Vicoden which keeps control somewhat. How long ago was your stroke and what kind? You can go to the introduction Forum and let us know more about you and more members can welcome you to the site.

Hi Ketann :)

I had the surgery last month (July 17th) with Dr. Keenan.

I am on my second cast...one more week than go back to the brace 24/7.

Then, I then try on my own w/ nothing.

Anyway, I use the valium 5 mg a tab for muscle spasms.

It was really bad the first couple of days.

You have a refill, definately use it.

It does help ! But there is pain.

But it gets better every day.

If you are in sooo much pain contact Dr. Keenan about the situation...maybe they can give you something else.

I really needed the percocet. Went through the refill, then I went to advil.

Remember, you have to wear the first cast...which was awkward and painful.

Be sure to use the pillow and elevate it so the swelling disappears.

When they took off the cast. it felt soooo good just changing it. The second cast was not so clumsy.

The other thing is that I had my home p/t for two weeks. The exercises helped me...the stretching helped much better.

These are my experiences. You can contact me anytime !

Hope this helped you a bit ?

Hopefully, this will help us for both ! :forgive_me?:

~dorothy

Thanks Dorothy! feel It's a good feeling to know I'm not alone with this. Sometimes I just want to take a saw and take the cast off myself... but I'll wait until the 28th when I get my 2nd cast. :) The pain and spasms are getting a little less. I am taking the Valium. I just keep telling myself it will pass.

I had my stroke in May 2003

I'll post an intro in the new member part.

• 4 weeks later...

Mu Dad is scheduled to have surgery with Dr. M Keenan on November 28th - can anyone answer these questions. The bedroom is on ehte nd floor - will he be able to manipulate the stairs when he initially comes home? Is there any mobility with that first cast? When do you normally start pt? Any advise or help is appreciated. He has a left side deficit - leg and arm.

Thanks so much.

ccjjr21

Hi :)

It is getting closer and closer !!

Is your dad excited ?

For me, I stayed on the bottom floor until I was ready to go up the stairs.

Everyone is different.

You can also get a wheelchair, cane or walker....what ever you need.

The p/t at the hospital will asses it.

P/T comes to your house for a time to make you comfortable a teaches you to do basic stretches.

Best wishes, dorothy :forgive_me?:

Don't know how your Dad will make it up stairs in a cast which goes from his toes to his knee unless he can use crutches. No mobility with cast. PT will start after cast is removed. Took me about 8 months to fully recover.

I think everyone has a chance !

The cast is very sturdy....it can take the weight while you walk on.

You have a cane for balance.

The second cast is another set...not so clumsy. You can stil walk with the cast, too.

That is 6 weeks on the cast, total.

Then you get an CAM BOOT.

You can also use a wheelchair in the beginning.

It can be hard at first , well it is a pain !

but you learn to deal with it.

The p/t, is at home once you come home. To stretch the muscle, very gentely.

It is after the 3 months, than you try to walk on your own with outpatient p/t.

Getting you muscles to get back to normal.

As well as walking 10 min. 3/4 times a day.

It is not easy, but it is a chance to get rid of the brace.

3 months is not a big deal....at the chance of getting rid of the brace or finger & arm spasmed / tons of tone.

It has a 75 % that it may work !

:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jack:

I am in Abington, near Philly, good luck this Dr. sounds too good to be true!

-JohnI

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone :hiya:

Just want to let you know how things are......

No one really talks about it after the surgery. ( well with Dr. Keenan )

My foot is fine.

No spasm, no drop foot.

Just using p/t 3 times a week, for 3 months.

Getting the muscule back.

Take alive pain for any problems with pain.

I am on my 2nd month of physical therapy.

One more ! yippie !

I am driving again ! No spasm, either.

Just taking one step at a time.

Thanks for listening !

~dorothy :wink:

p.s. -- oh, still nervous in large areas.

But, I think that is the vestibular problems, but not as bad as before.

Archived