Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice to help my Dad - I recently posted my family's story in the Newbie Caregivers section for those who want the background!

My Dad is making excellent progress with walking and talking but his right arm and hand is causing him concern!

We have been told right from day 1 that arms generally take longer than legs to 'return' but I was wondering if anyone had an advice or suggestions on how to help it to come back quicker?

He has feeling in his shoulder and upper arm and sometimes in his lower arm and after about an hour of sensory therapy he can move his thumb a little. He is able to identify his thumb and his index finger when they are touched and he has eyes closed but he cannot distinguish between the others yet!

Is there anything we can do to help?

Have any survivors or caregivers found a particular technique that has helped?

Would love to hear any suggestions!

Thank you

Jo-D

Is your Dad getting OT of any kind. You might ask about the Saeboflex. You can type in the word in search on this site because there have been discussions. I use one and it has helped. Saebo also has a web site you can research, ask questions and find a certified trainer in your area.

How long has it been since your Dad's stroke? I think it does take more work and concentration when working with the arm. That is my experience anyway.

Vi

PS. I just went back and read your first post. Very impressive. I am not sure the Saeboflex is available in thr UK. There may be other devices being used over there. You can probably get that information on the Saebo website.

I still can't walk since my stroke two years ago this June 5th, but must get

around with a pyramid came or powered wheelchair. I still continue to

exercise using a bicycle-like contraption that, under tension.

My right arm, also paralyzed partially, is getting stronger as I exercise daily

by lifting it up over my head while on my back in bed. Lifting my arm like

this was one of the exercises used by the occupational therapist when I was

in rehab (I had six months of speech, OT and PT---two months in the hosp-

tal, two months at home and two months in a clinic).

I feel like exercise is the only option that I have to strengthen my stroke-

affected right leg and my right arm.

Regards, Lee Kenaga

Hi Jo-D,

It's a small thing, but when I was in the hospital, my hubby brought me a little "stress ball", the kind used for carpal tunnel and such. I could just barely hold it at first, but as my hand progressed, I've been squeezing the heck out of it for months. I think it has really helped me with hand strength, and it's so easy to have nearby and play with anytime.

Hope this helps your dad!

Carol

:( First, sorry for your Dad's situation -

It has been over 20 years for me, and this once active left handed person, still never got back the use of her hand and arm - Believe me, it is frustrating, but, I guess once the damage has been done, the damage is forever -

So, I have just tried to accept my situation and keep plugging away

June

my therapist had a plastix shoebox, with rice in it, then he put in some pennys and some screws, and other small things, even some plastic spiders from halloween, then would have me use affected had to get as many things out in a set amount of time while trying not to pick up the rice with it, it helped and is rwlly inexpensive to do, also we did some things using rubber band in place of therabands, for strengthening, hope it goes good for him I am still struggling getting the feeling back but can move it okay, not good since have to watch it all the time. :2cents:

In PT they had a large jar of jelly beans I had 6 or 8 cups and had to sort them by color into the cups ( a timer was set).

I just finished reading an article. A ladies had curled, especially at night when sleeping. they took a toilet paper tube, ran a length of velcro thru the tube. that way her hand could not curl tightly during the night.

Other have used a putty or stuff like play dough (can be purchased at some pharmacies or home health equipment stores) hide small objects in the putty to find (same idea as the rice). I think the different colors of putty are the texture of the putty.

IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I POSTED THIS, SO LET'S SEE IF I REMEMBER.

GO TO SAMMONS PRESTON ON THE WEB. HIT REHAB EQUIPMENT ON THE LEFT SIDE, THEN PULLEYS. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF THEM AND I HAVE THE PUL-EZ THAT FITS OVER A DOOR. COST IS $25-30. WORKS BOTH ARMS AND SHOULDERS AND MAKES THE HAND GRIP THE HANDLES. GOOD INVESTMENT.

I'VE BEEN ATTENDING WATER CLASSES FOR THREE YEARS, AND IT DOES WONDERS IN HELPING ARMS, HANDS AND LEGS RECOVER. ANY QUESTONS, MY E- MAIL IS AVAILABLE BY CLICKING ON MY TO THE LEFT

GOOD LUCK

MARTY :big_grin:

I'm one who used the OT clay. The different colors are for consistancy. The stiffer it is, the more difficult to retreive the goodies. They used beads, beans, stones. The desturbing part was you never knew how mant there were in the clay, but the therapist would go over it when I was finished and maybe find one or two pieces. It was a lot of fun and really helped greatly. I think I was only allowed to use the bad hand for searching, and in my case, my good hand was not my dominant hand.

Thank you everyone for your great advice and suggestions!

Dad gets 'released' from Hospital on Friday so I'm going to try all your suggestions next week and see what works for him!

I guess he's very lucky that his dominant side wasn't affected but for a man who was incrediably active until 3 months ago and who loved doing things with his hands the loss of the use of his right arm and hand has affected him a lot!

Thanks again!

Jo-D

Jo-D,

So glad you were able to get many suggestions. Practice makes perfect, so if at first a technique doesn't seem to work - be patient - and continue trying. You want to be sure your Dad doesn't become too frustrated if something is not working or he starts to feel bombarded.

(((Hugs)))

hi jo-d, i am sorry to hear about your dads stroke. my left arm is paralyzed also. you have gotten many good suggestions, don't let him give up, always have hope and hard work and patience. hopefully he will get function back in his arm. i wish you both well in his recovery.

k.anderson

Jo-d

My daughter Rachel hasn't been able to use her right arm since her stroke on 2/17/06. SHe has been receiving Botox injections to loosen the arm since it is so tight and she clenches her fingers a lot.

We asked about the saeboflex and you have to have some hand and arm movement or you're not even a candidate.

Good Luck-We will never give up hope!!!

Archived