Acupuncture?

Hey Guys!

I brought this question up in last Fridays chat but I was trying to keep up reading everybody's' answer and I know I missed a few because the replies were whizzing on by, so I need to ask again please. I have a friend who keeps telling me about getting acupuncture treatments on my stroke affected side. He tells me of how it helped when he had pain in his foot and also when his wife's' face started to droop, she went right away to this acupuncturists (am I spelling it right?) and got a treatment done and her face muscles got better. He said it wasn't a stroke it was something else. Hmmm? And he has told me other stories of people who got treatment for this or that and how much better they feel. Supposedly the guy in my area who does it is one of the best and people from the Bay Area (San Francisco) make the 2 hour drive to see him.Which I find surprising because there is a huge oriental culture in SF and you know they have plenty of accupunture services there. He told me the needles don't hurt and would be placed where I need them. But the thought of a ton of needles poking in me freaks me. My sister-in-law gets treatment for stress and says the needles don't hurt. She loves getting the treatments. My left side is weak but I have some feeling back. So my question is: Does acupuncture help or benefit a person who had a stroke and do those needles hurt? I am told that the doctor will relax you and put you in a relaxing enviorment.I don't remember how long my friend said a session is but there would likely be more than one. The place here in my area charges between 25.00 and 30.00 dollars a treatment I am told some insurances cover this type of therapy. May I have your thoughts or your experiences? Is it worth the time and money for those who suffered a stroke? I have always heard nothing but good things about acupuncture but never had the nerve to try it. I look forward to your responses. Thanks so much! :huh:

I was told that acupuncture was most effective soon after having the stroke, but we took Gary almost 2 yr. out from his stroke and we noticed considerable improvement in his balance, motor control, and even speech after doing the acupuncture. He was going twice a week after his p.t., until the funds ran out. If I could have kept him in it longer, I most certainly would have done that as we did see huge improvements from it. The acupuncturist worked on placing the needles in the areas most affected by the stroke.

Sarah

My oldest son had accupunture lessons while he was in Chiropractic school in Chicago. He has been in

practice for over 20 years. While enroute to his degree, he brought a box of needles home and tried

them out on his mother and me. He got lessons from a practicing Chinese accupuncurist. Our son told

us that he didn't know how it works, but the needles he inserted didn't hurt. He put one in my wife's

wrist. Whether it will help a stroke survivor I don't know. It sure wouldn't hurt to try that procedure!

Best of luck. Lee Kenaga, a fellow stroke survivor

while I was in the hospital I was able to go downstairs and attend the stroke support group and one meeting was about acupuncture the person in the group who was undergoing it had amazing progress and I understood he was more than 5 years out from his stroke. the dr who spoke and did it and spoke to us explained it that it helps the electrical lines in the body get back in sync. of course I was still not functioning very well so I might just have understood that and no telling what he said. If you give it a whirl let us know I have thought of it, but will need to research practitioners in this area.

Guest lwisman

I have had a lot of acupuncture since my stroke. It has made a difference. I do not have an affected side (brainstem stroke) but do have tingling in both feet and on the right side of my face. Both have decreased over time.

Acupuncturists and other eastern medicine practitioners do not treat only one problem as is done in western medicine. Rather they make an assessment of your entire system. I now go once a month for maintenance treatments. I give the acupuncturist credit in keeping my body functioning. She does about 45 minutes of message (most shiatsu) and 20 minutes of acupuncture. I can really tell the difference after I have been there. Not only are there physical improvements, but also I feel better.

BTW, my insurance did pay 80% for six months. It had to be classified as foot pain in order to receive payment. Insurance does not usually cover acupuncture for stroke problems.

She told me one day about a new patient who had a stroke and suffered aphasia. She treated him and said she could immediately tell the difference. Even she was surprised how well it worked.

I would recommend giving it a try.

I did try acupuncture about 1 year after I stroked (2004); in hopes of regaining some affected-hand function. I didn't see any dramatic impact I want to emphasize there is no strong evidence in the medical literature to for or against it. If yyou got the money, if it gives you hope! Hope is very important! :Clap-Hands:

Please remind me about your deficit(s) if any. I will try to read all your posts first, etc. to refresh my memory (as much I have!) :lol:

I wish you good luck, please keep me posted me of your recovery if you get a chance from time to time!

:beer:

Guest lwisman

I was talking with my acupuncturist this week. She told me something I don't remember hearing before. When the needles are inserted you body registers them as foreign objects. Your immune system immediately responds. It sends agents to the location to deal with the foreign object. This activity helps your body heal itself. Obviously the acupuncturist has to know where to place the needles to have the most effect.

One other thing, acupuncture is rarely a one time fix. It usually takes a number of treatments to address the problem. And, as in my case, maintenance is important.

Hi Michael, I have a weak left side. I can move my leg, foot, toes and arm and fingers.I can hold my left arm high above my head. I had a lot of tone and my doctor didn't put me on any meds for it because I already take 5 pills a day. I do believe the tone has lesson. The left side of my face has a little bit of numbness but I can definately feel when something touches it, especially the bangs of my hair, it bugs me. This sounds funny but I have gotten back a lot of return on the left side of my mouth. I now can tell if food is hanging from that side of my mouth. I stroked on 1/23/06. Thanks for the reply. Lin, thank you for your info. when I read your first reply I called the acupunturists here in my city and this coming week I am going to call him again and ask a couple more questions. Then I will set up appointments with him. I know it is in no way a magic cure for stroke and I have always heard positive things about acupunture even beore my stroke. Just never had the nerve to try. But I am willing to try anything that can have a positive side and affect, to any negative situation no matter how big, no matter how small.

Guest lwisman

I read that you feel pain when the needles go in 2% of the time. It more like a pin prick and goes away within seconds. I feel this pin prick about 10% of the time. I am told that is because I am sensitive to it. Hmmm.

I'm five years oput from my stroke, but two summers ago I went to a Chinese doctor in niagara Falls, Canada, for 30 treatments She'd usually put about four or five needles in my head(right under the scalp) and up to 60 needs from my left shoulder to my foot. Probably put ten needles in my hand which opened immediately. I found the exterience relatively tortuous. She didn't know how to fill out insurance forms so the exspense was out of pocket. My balance did improve.

But as she told me from the start, best results are achieved immediately followin a stroke. i also know two othe acupuncturists who've told me the same thing.

tom holub

Guest lwisman

Tom,

Sorry you had a bad experience. Wow 60 needles at a time. That seems like overkill to me. I have had needles all over my body, but never more that 20 at a time. And if that many, definitely not in the same place.

Regarding insurance. In my case, I had to pay and make the claim myself to the insurance company. The acupuncturist did know to supply me a receipt for foot pain with the appropriate insurance claim number. Filling out the form (available online) was painless. Check came in a couple of weeks.

I had a stem cell stroke on June 5th, 2005 on my right side, affecting my

speech, right leg and right arm. I've had six months of speech, OT and PT.

everything gravitates to the right side of my mouth when I eat---there is an

obvious weakness there. I am 85 years old.

When I first arrived by ambulance at the therapy hospital and had my first

evening meal, the food unknowingly was going down my windpipe instead

my stomach. I became ill and was taken downstairs to critical care where

I was kept for a week. When I recovered the sugeon put a tube in my

stomach and I was given food through that tube in my stomach. I was

tested for the ability to swollow correctly and the tube was removed three

days before I went home to continue thearpy.

From what I'm reading from those who have tried using the services of an

accupuncturist. I see there's little improvement to expect from seeing one.

Moreover, I simply can't afford one if I have to pay for their services, if

medicare doesn't at least pay 80% of their charges. I guess there is no

magical cure for a stroke.

Lee Kenaga

Just recently I fell across my pyramid cane which has a wider 4-prong base

than a regular quad an broke off one of its legs. Fortunately, my wife had

kept the make and model number, so as the store can order a repacement

and get it in my wife will go get it. In the meanwhile I will try to get

along with a walker, although my right hand is weak and it's hard to pick

up.

Thanks, you guys. The information you gave me who not to seek out for

treatment. I will continue my exercises that I was given at my last thearpy

session. (Before I was stricken with my stroke I was walking 4 niles about

a day at a pretty fast clip.

• 4 months later...

Hello Pheonix,

I take my Mother to get accupuncture. She used to go weekly, and now she only goes monthly. The Doctor does this test where it tells where my Mother is out of balance. For the last four sessions, she has been in balance. As best as I can describe it balance is the energy your body produces to let you know how ready your body is to heal.

My Mother had a brain hemorrhage in 2004. She can barely communicate or move. I think the accupunture helps her to be more alert.

By the way my Mother reacts, I think the needles sometime sting her, but I don't get the impression that they hurt her. My Mother does not speak, so I don't know for sure if what I think is accurate.

I found an accupunturist that isn't too expensive. He treats my Mother for $50 a session.

I am glad I have read what you have written. It has made me think to research where to accupuncture to help with speach and voice. The Doctor my Mother goes to said that if I had points that could be tried I just have to let him know.

I hope you find something helpful. One thing is for sure, you won't know if you don't try.

Hoping all goes well!

dnsmith1

I agree with everyone else - if you can afford it, give it a try because it cannot cause any damage or interact with your medications. I thought it felt great - very relaxing, but it had no effect on my movement whatsoever. bummer. I don't regret it, though.

shirley, go for it groovy girl. it sure couldn't hurt you to find out if it helps. i've heard it does work for some people and the needles are so small and fine, that you barely even feel them. as long as you find someone reputable, in your area. what have you got to lose except money if insurance won't cover it. i have often thought about it myself. so please keep us posted if you decide to do it. i would be very interested in what your experience with it turns out to be. i hope you get the results you want. good luck.

• 4 months later...

When I started having acupuncture done (about 1 year after stroke) my leg was the worst. I had acupuncture weekly for about 30 minutes after having a 45 minutes massage. Went for about 10 - 15 sessions (2-3 months?) and while I didn't feel like it did a lot at the time I did get better very quickly for a couple of months after - I now walk without any real noticeable limp and am currently working on running. Thnking of going back to acupuncture for a few months to re-experiment. Try it I think, it helps give hope, and thats a good thing.

The needles are about as thick as a human hair - they do not hurt at all. I found it very relaxing but it made no difference in my functioning. Your friends wife probably had face droop due to Bells Palsy, which can spontaneously heal.

Archived