Do any of you have a problem urinating at night? I go to sleep, wake an hour an later and feel the urge and then fall asleep again but wake up again I wake up an additional 3-6 times per night I never feel rested. I've tried crackers, milk, urinating a couple times before bed. Any suggestions?

I did at first but it is doing better, also I don't take my diuretic before I go to bed, plus I pee a lot anyway so I generally do have to go. I would check with your doctor maybe you have a little bladder or kidney infection, or maybe you need to drink more water or juice.

Charles,

My take on your topic is it all depends on many factors. Some medical like the the commerical about going which could be a growing problem. Time to check on the prostate situation.

Otherwise with the meds most of us take it could be normal to a point as it is with me. So I use a urinal by my bed. It's certainly worth discussing with your doctor soon. On the other hand as with young kids, no more liquids after 6pm. That's my suggestions!

This is a source of irriatation for me..just one of a long list. My bladder has never been real strong to begin with,( my sister used to always get me to wet my pants as a kid by making me laugh). Now...well, I just say I have a 20 minute bladder. I also call it TWB(Teeny Weeny Baldder). Limiting the amount of liquid after 6 pm is somewhat helpful but doesn't remedy the problem. For me, I guess it's a part of growing older, I think of every time I've visited a nursing home or the like and the place 'reeks' of urine smell.

No solutions, just sympathy.

During the waking hours, my bladder is small, too. I went to a urologist shortly after my stroke and his determination was that I have an unusually small bladder. Thanks, I already knew that..but what can I do now???????

I've resorted to using the Poise undergarment(it's like an over sized Kotex pad with a sticky strip to hold it in place). This has saved me many times from embarrassment if I sneeze, cough or whatever.

Bottom line, it sucks getting older...getting older just isn't what it's cracked up to be!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Not to make light of this problem but......

I'm on Hydro "a water pill" so I make sure I go before going anywhere, or at a resturant before we head home, or at the grocery store before we leave, or when we get to/or are leaving our friends.

Hell I'm going all the time.

But seriously if you didn't go alot, just think of the complications that might arise like congestive heart. Think I'd rather be peeing ;)

Stu

i've been wondering if its a result of weak sphincter muscles

anna

• 2 weeks later...

There are therapists that specialize in this problem. We had one speak at our local stroke support meeting. As Bonnie said, there are exercises and this person "teaches" them to you. I'm sure your urologist, family practioner or even neurologist could give you some names or eve a rehab facility may know of a therapist. This particular one was from the hospital rehab dept., I believe.

I am not incontinent as such, but I have found that since my stroke I do sometimes have slight urine leakage during the day. I don't need to wear diapers but have found that wearing women's pantiliners (I am a man) is a very effective and unobtrusive way of staying dry and fresh. I have no problem buying boxes of pantiliners for myself at the local supermarket.

Us stroke survivors do what we have to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived