Broca's aphasia

I am a two-time stroke survivor (5/16/01 and 5/11/07); only this time, have acquired Broca's aphasia (had anomic from first stroke). Since can't speak hardly at all, have to carry dry-erase board around to communicate with. (Thank God can do email and write; I would go batty without being able to express myself).

One thing is after having one stroke, kind of knew what to expect from second one:) (except for the different type of aphasia that I got this time).

I have so much to say and feel like words are bubbling over in my head...and I am writing so fast trying to get them out (that is, before I forget...have major probs with short-term memory loss as well).

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" to all who understand what a thing this is when you have things wrong that others can not see (and how frustrating that is).

Welcome aboard

I understand what you saying. I'm fluent aphasia (Wernicke's). I stroked at the age of 34 just over 2 years ago by a car accident.

I've joined an aphasia group a few months ago and I enjoy myself there. It has helped me alot.

Bill :welcome:

:hiya: Hey There ladibluej :welcome: Welcome to Strokenet!

This is a very friendly and helpful site. We are here to support you and offer virtual shoulders for you to lean on. I did not suffer any speech or cognitive problems from my stroke but I have left side weakness that I am working on.Though I don't feel the frustration in expressing myself the way you do, I did felt frustration in the beginning because I felt like some family members wouldn't let me finish speaking because I guess they figured my brain was attacked and I wouldn't know what I was talking about. Well I nipped that in the bud real quick. But it was very aggravating to me. They don't do that to me anymore. Please post whatever you are feeling. We are here to listen. Groove around the board :gleam: and get to know the place. There are blogs to read or you can start one. We have live chat which are a lot of fun :blah_blah: Check the schedule and please join us. :chat: It's a great way to meet other members. It's great to have you aboard. I found comfort here and I hope you do too! :bouncing_off_wall:

Guest PERRYS

Hiya,

I stroked in 2000 and I have a very hard time talking too, but like you I can type :Clap-Hands:

Where is there group Bud? What do you have from Wernicke's?

The group is HAC = Halton Aphasia Centre in Ontario. I'm fluent aphasia. It's harder for me to understand the language and get confused. I had a car accident (head injury) which caused me to have a bilateral dissection. That then cause me to stroke in my left area (speech/language area).

Bill

Hi ladibluej A Warm Welcome.. I sometimes have word retrieval problems, or the wrong word comes out. My speech pattern is a bit differnt. I had problems reading a novel.. Last yr . 3 yrs post stroke I did read 2 shorter novels. I have short term memory problems, Some days are better than other. Also getting overtired or overstressed does not help the memory issues.

We have Language disorders on the board also.

i need to look up some of the names of the types of Aphasia ...

Glad you can type and express your self. Came back often, you will have a new group of cyber friends here.

Thank you all:)

It is hard to make people understand that I have a language disorder (from stroke) as most think., that if you cannot talk you are (retarded, less than normal intelligence, or can't hear as well).

My experience so far has been to have people (when they see I can't talk) and I am with someone, they talk "around" me...as if I were invisible...also say things that they think I cannot hear (which makes me want to yell...Yes, I can hear...No, I cannot talk, but I am still intelligent).

I could cover pretty good when I had the anomic kind of aphasia after the first stroke (and couldn't think of words...I would just fill in with "thing", "doodad" or whatever word I could dream up...but now, with no words at all, it makes it a lot more difficult.

Thought of getting t-shirt made that says "I can't talk but (on front)...I listen very well"...(on back).

Feel curious people come by to see me like I'm some kind of "circus freak"...(and see me write on my board)...terrible to say, but that's how I feel. (Out in the public, I feel odd, having to carry around dry-erase board as my "voice"; because since I "look okay"'; people who I had just talked to a week or so ago, wonder what happened to me (or think I am mad at them for not speaking).

But, I feel each stroke has actually been a blessing in disguise...(I have learned so much from them).

All of us survivors know not to take life for granted, and see that there is still so much beauty in the world, if we take the time to look.

Hi ladibluej,

Welcome to the site. I was fortunate as the stroke I had did not affect my speech severely. I've got short term memory deficits that are more pronounced when I'm tired or stressed. In addition the left side of my face doesn't droop as badly as it did 2 years ago; but when I'm tired or worked up I have difficulties in clearly enunciating.

Looking forward to getting acquainted with you.

Welcome,

I have Broca's aphasia too. It is easier for people to understand if you call it Expressive aphasia. My speech is pretty good now so keep practicing words out loud with a friend or coach.

I understand the feeling you describe - it is tough when you look just fine for anyone to understand there is a problem. I would go to an office supply store and get sheets of perforated business cards or just a heavier paper and print a short message explaining what Expressive aphasia is. Something simple like:

I had a stroke which gave me Expressive Aphasia. I know what words I want to say to you, but I cannot form the words properly, so I cannot talk to you the same way I used to.

This would then make them realize it is your speech that is the problem, not your mind.

Take care,

Dickons

Thank you all for making me feel welcome...

It is so hard, making anyone really understand, unless they have been there...done that!

Out of all the stroke related probs though...seems like losing my speech has been the worst...

We never really think what a gift "talking" to each other is...until we can't do it...

So, I say, "Hugs to everyone".

"Hi AZ Gang,

I was over at HealthSouth Rehabilitation hospital today and got to put in a plug for the Stroke Network. They have an aphasia support group that meets on Thursdays at 10:00am. If you have aphasia, think about joining this group - there is no fee."

I located the above post that may be beneficial to you. azrabbit is the wife/caregiver of her hubby Denny, who also has aphasia. This group may be in close proximity for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" to all who understand what a thing this is when you have things wrong that others can not see (and how frustrating that is).

Your sentence has hit a nerve. Not that I am looking sypathize from anyone... When people heard I have 5 strokes it didn't register with them at all.... there wasn't outside signs... with wasn't until I had the 6th stroke when it attacked my speech and walking... it was THEN visible... then it hit them... "oh, he had a stroke." :bop:

Good morning,

I sent your poem "You Look Okay" to my aunt and cousin. Both wrote back to me how powerful your poem was to them.

Kind regards,

Dickons

Hi Ladibluej!

I'm my husband's caregiver. Tony is 46 years old and is in a nursing home/rehab center. PT and OT are going very well but the speech is not. We are both so frustrated! He gets angry and I cry :( Tony can't write or use a communications board, he doesn't recognize any symbols. I know it's still early since this all happened and I really do believe God is with us. I've learned a lot since this all began and most of my information has been through this web site. I am truly greatful to all who have messages and blogs. You, as well as everyone here are in my prayers. Louise

Archived